Valemount newspaper article of the checkstops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following is quoted from the paperwork that came with our 31' MTI trailer.

"if the breakaway system is used, or inadvertantly engaged, it is adviseable to replace the battery as this safety system is designed to be a single use system and the battery is not rechargeable"
I would have thought that someone in 'the trade' would know this, maybe if I typed in red it would be more easily understood.
I am so embarrassed I will now cry myself to sleep. Mark

You know what ya little douche, if you would've read what the original statement said and what my original question to that person was, we wouldn't be here in this pissin match. I can't help it if you're a frikken braindead truckdriver that can't comprehend peoples statements and questions. Learn how to FN read! You should be embarrassed, or at least who ever allowed you to pass grade 3 should be. OMFG!

Nuff said!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Love the way these "information" threads get turned into pissing contests.
I have been driving for a couple years also,(even drove tow truck for a while)and also have never seen a bumper pull trailer go down the road by itself.Ok,so its the law, so I will make sure my breakaway works from now on,but untill mm weekend I had never given it a thought or checked to see if mine worked(didn't see a need for it cause I don't unhook till truck is stopped)
BUT!!!I have seen enough instances of out of province/state tickets being handed out,even if they are bogus,simply as a money grab!Because I will pay a $100-200 ticket begrudgingly even if I know for a fact that I could beat it in court,rather than spend a couple grand to fight it!!I know this,you know this,and the cops most definately know this!!!!!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I commented on a similar thread to this in the Revy conditions section a while back and never got a concrete answer to one question I had. Does anyone have a link or links to a website that lists all the legal requirements for towing and numbers of tie-downs required for NON-COMMERCIAL vehicles. Any links that were posted in the other thread all related to Commercial Transport. I'd like to read some facts rather than "heresay" and "I think..." and "My brother's girlfiend's uncle's boss's son said that......."

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Defenders of Society Safety Group you guys are on crack trying to defend such a blatant obvious activity motivated mostly by "the money".

And my chicken$hit ticket comment stands, and you guys can rant on about the huge accidents you've seen and how u've been driving for years to try to justify this crap, but it ain't gonna change how it is.

Typing in red damn near made me change my mind but...........nah, its still bullSh*t.

Last edited by a moderator:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what ya little douche, if you would've read what the original statement said and what my original question to that person was, we wouldn't be here in this pissin match. I can't help it if you're a frikken braindead truckdriver that can't comprehend peoples statements and questions. Learn how to FN read! You should be embarrassed, or at least who ever allowed you to pass grade 3 should be. OMFG!

Nuff said!

Way over the top. You sound like a grade 7 bully.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I commented on a similar thread to this in the Revy conditions section a while back and never got a concrete answer to one question I had. Does anyone have a link or links to a website that lists all the legal requirements for towing and numbers of tie-downs required for NON-COMMERCIAL vehicles. Any links that were posted in the other thread all related to Commercial Transport. I'd like to read some facts rather than "heresay" and "I think..." and "My brother's girlfiend's uncle's boss's son said that......."

Operating vehicles with insecure cargo prohibited
35.08 (1) If a peace officer has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a vehicle carrying cargo is unsafe for use on a highway because of the method of cargo securement, the peace officer may order the driver of the vehicle to stop the vehicle and secure the cargo before proceeding.

(2) A person must comply with an order given under subsection (1).

[en. B.C. Reg. 113/2005, Sch. 1.]

Table of Contents - Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Operating vehicles with insecure cargo prohibited
35.08 (1) If a peace officer has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a vehicle carrying cargo is unsafe for use on a highway because of the method of cargo securement, the peace officer may order the driver of the vehicle to stop the vehicle and secure the cargo before proceeding.

(2) A person must comply with an order given under subsection (1).

[en. B.C. Reg. 113/2005, Sch. 1.]

Table of Contents - Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Caper11, I did find that before, but have you seen anything in the Regs that states you must use two straps on the back of each sled ? I use one very heavy duty strap on the back of each sled in my enclosed trailer (each strap is rated for over twice the weight of a sled) as well as a Superclamp on the front and I've heard people have been ticketed in B.C. for this type of securement. Reading what you posted above, it would seem to me that even if the officer is a d!ck, he can't just ticket you, but can order you to further secure it before proceeding. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caper11, I did find that before, but have you seen anything in the Regs that states you must use two straps on the back of each sled ? I use one very heavy duty strap on the back of each sled in my enclosed trailer (each strap is rated for over twice the weight of a sled) as well as a Superclamp on the front and I've heard people have been ticketed in B.C. for this type of securement. Reading what you posted above, it would seem to me that even if the officer is a d!ck, he can't just ticket you, but can order you to further secure it before proceeding. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

I don't think there is anything stating that there has to be a certain amount of tiedowns, but having tiedowns with the SWL tag on them and your load not exceding the SWL rating, and as long as the three points of the sled is secured with a tiedown device.
This enclosed trailer thing kind of boggles me, I can load a 2200lb skid of LTL freight in a 53ft trailer unsecured but I have to secure 600lb sled, yes I would secure my sleds in a trailer to prevent damage to my equipment while in transit, but how does that make it any safer while in transit?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone going to court to contest any of the charges they got? looks like those with uncovered off road lights are screwed. :beer:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything stating that there has to be a certain amount of tiedowns, but having tiedowns with the SWL tag on them and your load not exceding the SWL rating, and as long as the three points of the sled is secured with a tiedown device.
This enclosed trailer thing kind of boggles me, I can load a 2200lb skid of LTL freight in a 53ft trailer unsecured but I have to secure 600lb sled, yes I would secure my sleds in a trailer to prevent damage to my equipment while in transit, but how does that make it any safer while in transit?

I said the exact same thing while I was there.....I spent 10 years loading vans 2 load locks and the back of the trailer so nothing fell against the door so when the driver open nothing fell on him.......what about 1/2 loaded liquid trailers no baffles going down the hiway going through the hills with a rookie driver??

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just pull one axle out from under trailer problem solved ,strange law that single axles do not need brakes,or maybe they just never fly off the hitch like a double axle does :d:beer:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from Vale.....

Every second truck running around this weekend had uncovered off road lights, both AB and BC plates. Didn't see any tickets getting written for these blatant law breakers......LOL

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's pull the breakaway cord on this topic.

Nvm

Batteries dead...continue :D

Couldn`t agree more Maxwell. The cops will check when then can.
This topic has been beat like a rented mule.
Valemount is hurt by this and the town doesnt need for all of us to be reminded over and over again.
Please lets just remember to check our stuff out better and do it every trip.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom