Valemount newspaper article of the checkstops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No but I know i'd rather ride somewhere else that has less chance of reciving bs tickets even if I am safe.

I'd like to see all these tickets that are BS. I don't think tickets are handed out fining people for things that are legal.:d

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some breakaway brakes need to have the batteries replaced each time you pull the brake cable out. We change ours each time we change the smoke detector batteries so they are fresh if we need them.

Really? Been in the trade for 30 years and never seen one. Where can I get info on these one use batteries?

Little

Reaction score
If you have been in the 'trade' for 30 yr. and never saw a breakaway battery something is amiss here. Most of these batteries only last a season or 2. Real cheap dry cell battery.
Good thing you weren't in the gestopo roadside inspections.
These inspections are nothing more than a power trip by the local nazis and have nothing to do with safety and all to do with visability. When have you heard of a trailer coming detached from a truck and causing death/injury???
I've never heard of a single one, and I'm old and been trucking for 40 yr.
We have been harrassed in BC many times with deck/trailer issues. Much
easier on the constitution to go to Cooke, Yellowstone, I.P. or Anaconda. For us it's the same distance.
With the issues of harassment, theft, etc. BC is rapidly losing appeal. I grew up in Golden, riding a Yamaha GPX 433 up the Blaeburry. Things have changed. Mark

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ain't it wonderful that we got all these super-hero types on this site making sure that the triler we pulled all the way there and back countless times is safe thereby protecting all the innocent hiway users. And to insure that, give us $200, ok, carry on ur safe now. And I'm sorry sir those 3 straps tying your sled/quad/motorcycle down are only 2 in wide, unfortunately they need to be 2.25 and u need 4 of them. To insure everyones safety , you'll need to submit $200, carry on. And also sir I noticed you've got a marker light burned out on your deck, and since I'm sworn t protect public safety, you're gonna have to send in $200 , now u carry on. OK, next victim...I mean next vehicle, Goodness sir I see that your sled is sticking out past the end of your deck 18 inces without any lights or rotating flashers, you do realize that some innocent could be walking around the parking lot, not see this and give themselves a rather nasty bump, and I can't tolerate someone like you creating that kind of public safety risk, you're gonna have to submit $200, off you go now. OMG, are you crazy sir or just have a totaol disregard for public safety...its broad daylight and sunny and you have the audacity to be driving around with a fully exposed driving light, not blacked out like a window in wartime. Can u imagine the traumatic result if you were to accidentally turn that on...I shudder t think what could happen, the only way to make this right is cover it with your sock.... and send in $200, run along now.
Get it yet ? We all respect the job these guys are doing and their reasons for doing it. Unfortunately, under a clear bright light......their motives and ultimate goal seems to sometimes get a bit obscure and hard to identify.
So all you guys with perfect gear and who oddly enuff know every little nuance and nit picky item of road law....bash away.
I applaud these guys doing inspections, and taking truly unsafe vehicles off the road, as long as they do it with true intentions and motives.
Too bad some are just true a$$holes and destroy more public support and confidence than they instill. I find it difficult to understand why some guys believe that just cause a guy becomes a cop, he can't be an a$$hole, just like any other trade or occupation. Me......I'm gonna call a spade a spade. And Valemount is certainly becoming near the top of the pile in this category.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lenny i don't totally agree, most of the officers are just doing there job, they are being told what to do and where to do it, and who to do it to, from a superior officer. tete jaun area is known for this kind of enforcement. i have seen it also in golden but to a lesser degree. :beer:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have been in the 'trade' for 30 yr. and never saw a breakaway battery something is amiss here. Most of these batteries only last a season or 2. Real cheap dry cell battery.
These inspections are nothing more than a power trip by the local nazis and have nothing to do with safety and all to do with visability. When have you heard of a trailer coming detached from a truck and causing death/injury???
easier on the constitution to go to Cooke, Yellowstone, I.P. or Anaconda. For us it's the same distance.
With the issues of harassment, theft, etc. BC is rapidly losing appeal. I grew up in Golden, riding a Yamaha GPX 433 up the Blaeburry. Things have changed. Mark

You've been trucking for 40 yrs and never heard of a trailer coming off and causing death or injury?? WOW, wish I could say the same, I've been working for a very large towing company for the past 5 yrs and have seen /been to several, involving both Tractor/Trailer units and passenger vehicles hauling RV's and just about any other type of trailer you can imagine. Not to mention the countless, and I mean countless number of trailers I've had to go and lift or pull off the roads, parking lots and highways that have come detached due to either driver error or mechanical failure. Wait till you see what a 53ft loaded trailer does when it comes unhooked on Hwy 2 at 100 km/h...... I know what happens, been there....... I guess for some of you, until you see it or it happens to you ,you'll just never get it.
For those who never plan on going to Vale over this, thank you, makes it better and safer for the rest of us........ Oh, might as well stay away from Mcbride as well, I see the RC's set up with the DOT guys quite regularly at the highway pull out just after you cross the bridge into town, and damn them , they just target sledders as well. Not to mention the checkstops they have been setting up regularly on Mountainview Rd just down from the folks house, again just targeting sledders.
So come summertime and they are targeting those pulling RV's and boats you'll be able to complain somemore about the harrassment and the BS tickets...... yawn........ whiners.............

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya see there ya go, just not comprehending. Not sayin the checkstops are a bad thing, they are a necessary activity. And if the vehicles are unsafe, tow em. This ideology of giving out chicken$hit tickets under the guise of public safety is what we're talkin about. Start towing anything not acceptable, cause as you say, if doesn't comply, its unsafe. How does giving a silly ticket and allowing the unsafe activity to continue contribute to their stated intention ?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its unsafe.....tow em. If its wrong but no safety threat....educate em and document the warning. Prove to us your motives are truly safety oriented, not "just about the money ".

cause we already know that won't work, its just another expense to budget in.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya see there ya go, just not comprehending. Not sayin the checkstops are a bad thing, they are a necessary activity. And if the vehicles are unsafe, tow em. This ideology of giving out chicken$hit tickets under the guise of public safety is what we're talkin about. Start towing anything not acceptable, cause as you say, if doesn't comply, its unsafe. How does giving a silly ticket and allowing the unsafe activity to continue contribute to their stated intention ?

Educate me then, explain to me what a chickensh!t ticket is..... from what I understand the really unsafe stuff was towed or impounded, and the other stuff that peeps were ticketed for was legit, by law. Don't give me the BS that warnings would suffice, because warnings don't cut it for me, I still have tinted windows in my trucks after several warnings and a couple tickets. As I said in another thread how many warnings do they have to hand out before peeps get it....... I tell you they never will learn from warnings, on the other hand a ticket sure makes the peeps notice, just look at all the whining in a couple different threads on this site. I don't agree with towing a vehicle because the fog lights weren't covered, and am willing to bet none were, but it is an offence so ticket the driver. I don't think any vehicles were towed because the break away cable was routed incorrectly, or not properly connected to the tow vehicle, but a ticket is due. I'll bet alot of guys were given a break on the breakaway battery being dead and not had their trailers towed, but instead got a ticket for it. Bet they are aware now that it needs to be checked and repaired.
Chickensh!t tickets......gimme a break.... they don't hand them out just for sh!ts and giggles, and if you got a complaint over one go fight it....if you can't be bothered then I'll have to assume your guilty then ,because if I was innocent I will fight it.
Don't tell me I don't understand, I get it quite well, I completely understand that alot of peeps don't think the laws should be applying to them and they are just innocent victims of organized crime run by the police.

Little

Reaction score
500.We're talking bumper hitch non commercial trailers buddy. Countless times??? I call bullship, or you have trouble counting. I have seen 2 enclosed trailers rolled over and a few campers in mountain areas flipped, but never one skidding down the road, all by itself. As I said before, never seen 1 incident of death or injury from an unhooked rv, and I doubt you have either. This is not a safety issue, rather cash grabbing cops on a power trip, because they can. Golden cops gave out 2 tickets for stopping in unsafe area, one guy's lites weren't working so he stopped to check it out. Buddy pulled in behind. Both got the $200 tuneup. Welcome to BC.

I don't make a living towing rcmp seizures either, maybe that's the difference. Mark

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You need to learn how to read before commenting.

This is what Kavaleen said "Some breakaway brakes need to have the batteries replaced each time you pull the brake cable out".

If you don't comprehend what Kavaleen meant with that statement, then I'm sorry I can't help you.:d

As far as me being in roadside inspections... they don't worry me because I look after my equipment and ensure it is always in proper working condition. I've been stopped many times over the years and have never been ticketed! You know why? Cause I'm not some doughhead that thinks he doesn't have to look after his equipment and endanger others lives because of it.. Which is exactly what those of you who don't look after their equipment are doing, endangering others lives.

Last edited:

Little

Reaction score
I think maybe you have trouble with comprehending what you type.

However, if you pull the insulator out of the controller, battery is dead within a few seconds, basically what he said was correct.

If you feel safer with the gestapo checks, good on ya', wait till you get a windshield stone bruise on the way to the hill and a $200 'warning' on the way home.

Have a safe day, Mark

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think maybe you have trouble with comprehending what you type.

However, if you pull the insulator out of the controller, battery is dead within a few seconds, basically what he said was correct.

If you feel safer with the gestapo checks, good on ya', wait till you get a windshield stone bruise on the way to the hill and a $200 'warning' on the way home.

Have a safe day, Mark

Thats the biggest crock of doo doo I've read in a long time. Battery is dead within a few seconds? LMFAO! If that were the case how does one test the system for proper operation? Dude you should learn the theory of operation of these systems before posting comments. It's a shame to see anyone make a fool of themselves due to a lack of knowledge.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when you get a ticket n your from AB. as we got two last yr. is it worth losing two days wages and hotel stays to fight it? We were pulled over for a "dirty lights" on the trailer give me a f ng break..... then the brake away failed the test. due to a lose wire which we fixed before the ink was dry on the ticket but we still got it, even after i explained what the problem was. and yes i check my trailer every trip... I am not going to risk 4 sleds and a trailer being damaged or a cause of an accident.... of course that nite there was a two sleds stole from town....? wonder if they should target late nite sled haulers?

i agree they have a job to do just as the rest of us have to do ours, but there
is in any business some discression that "could be used" .

ive been ticketed for speeding in the park...guilty. ( 7 km over the limit)
ive been ticketed for speeding on the hiway....guilty.....15 km over..

i admit these are founded but dirty trailer lights.....maybe there should be highway cleaners to ensure the hiways we drive on are clean.... i think it was a feeble excuse to find a violation. I guess i was the only one with a trailer with dirty lites..... i could still see the tail and signal when we checked... and i do generally wash them off at fuel stops when the roads are wet....but from allen creek to the co_op fuel station.... i never saw one....lol

i guess we just all have to ensure are alberta azzes are covered and our trailers are the flawless ones... just a question any bc plates get tickets that weekend?

Last edited:

Little

Reaction score
Following is quoted from the paperwork that came with our 31' MTI trailer.

"if the breakaway system is used, or inadvertantly engaged, it is adviseable to replace the battery as this safety system is designed to be a single use system and the battery is not rechargeable"
I would have thought that someone in 'the trade' would know this, maybe if I typed in red it would be more easily understood.
I am so embarrassed I will now cry myself to sleep. Mark

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everytime I go to BC whether it's towing my RV or my sleds, I expect to get fined for something that was beyond my control and happened while I was travelling. That's the way the province is. Do I like it NO, can I do anything about it YES, but I enjoy BC to much. BC is notorious (just as bad as ontario IMO) for having silly laws in place thought up by somone that thinks he/she will make the province a better place.
I used to drive truck and I'm a journeyman mechanic, I assure you all my equipment is in top working condition, But with all the different laws in BC 98% of cars, and trucks that is out of province is not in compliance with BC's laws anyway.
My pickup is stock and was bought in BC brand new, but I'm not changing my tires just to make the BC RC's happy to satisfy their winter tire law. If the truck was good enough to be sold in BC with the tires on it than it's should be good enough to be driven in BC with them. Will I get a fine probably, but the fine will probably be cheaper than buying winter tires, just another money grab IMO.
Do I believe in roadside checkstops absolutely!! when the checkstop is for the right reasons, having a RC go over farely new equipment with a fine toothcomb is a waste of resourses IMO, how many were asked for proof of ownership during the checkstop or if they were drinking?
Just for the record I've never been a BC checkstop as of yet, But I'm ready for one always have been, because it's one of the "Bring Cash" provinces in Canada.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following is quoted from the paperwork that came with our 31' MTI trailer.

"if the breakaway system is used, or inadvertantly engaged, it is adviseable to replace the battery as this safety system is designed to be a single use system and the battery is not rechargeable"
I would have thought that someone in 'the trade' would know this, maybe if I typed in red it would be more easily understood.
I am so embarrassed I will now cry myself to sleep. Mark

So when you get pulled in by the cvse and they ask "did you test youre breakaway today"? You can pretty much say..well no because if I test it it will kill the battery? Really?

Little

Reaction score
I think the factory is prob. protecting themselves with the single use directive, however, the batteries used are pretty cheezy and pulling the switch directly grounds the battery thru the magnets. I wouldn't think these batteries would last long. Ours was dead when we went to Castlegar, but the kids pulled the switch by mistake and we didn't notice it right away. Battery was dead,brakes off by the time we were ready to go. Got a new one in Cranbrook and seems good now.

Just like the fog lites, snowflake tires, dirty lites, windshield, sled decks, and on we go. Cash cow, nothing more. Out of province cash is the best kind.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
500.We're talking bumper hitch non commercial trailers buddy. Countless times??? I call bullship, or you have trouble counting. I have seen 2 enclosed trailers rolled over and a few campers in mountain areas flipped, but never one skidding down the road, all by itself. As I said before, never seen 1 incident of death or injury from an unhooked rv, and I doubt you have either. This is not a safety issue, rather cash grabbing cops on a power trip, because they can. Golden cops gave out 2 tickets for stopping in unsafe area, one guy's lites weren't working so he stopped to check it out. Buddy pulled in behind. Both got the $200 tuneup. Welcome to BC.

I don't make a living towing rcmp seizures either, maybe that's the difference. Mark

I'm not going to get into a p!ssing match with you, wish I lived in your fairytale world though, life would be so much easier if I just blamed everyone else for my mistakes........and if you read my post I clearly stated all different types of trailers and when I said countless, I meant it, as it happens quite regularly.
I suppose in your 40 yrs of trucking you've never seen a drunk behind the wheel of a commercial rig either???? Alot more common than you'd like to believe, or most likely in your mind I'm full of $hit about that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom