Valemount March 6th Allen Creek Avy Valley

Turbofreak

Reaction score
Not to mention the cornices that are along the crest just waiting to be disturbed a 1000 feet above the last point you can see from below, looking up. Many lives have been taken in this area, signs are there for a reason.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
everytime we pass through there I am AMAZED at some of the tracks on that face.... Hmmmm, lets highmark up under the cornice OVER and OVER while our whole group sits right at the bottom. If someone gets buried there, and I witness it, unless I am TOTALLY confident that there isn't more danger awaiting, I won't be there to dig your stupid a** out.

Not only did I lose a close friend and riding buddy 3 years ago, in an Avy. But, I was living and riding in Sparwood when the "infamous 8" were killed. My family depends on me to come home safe and alive every time I go sledding.

Turbofreak

Reaction score
Another good practice for this runout zone and others like it is to let one member of your group go at a time across danger zones like this. locating one person is easier and chances of survival are greater, than one person searching for 5.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the black is kinda sorta how the hill will slide and the circle is where it can end up setteling. at the bottom is a creek you cant see there but it will just take u there and no reall chance of serviving.

the red is where u drive along.

green dot is where buddy was stuck

blue dots are where the guys were sitting.

the biger blue dot is the guy that was goign up and down the hill trying to get to him to help.

its kinda dumb. but hey like i said. i try and give my FREE advise because i care and i get looked at like iam the A$$HOLE:confused:

Attachments

• P3061590.jpg
    P3061590.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 44

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It NEVER ceases to amaze me the amount of idiots that are "playing" in this area just about every time that I go through there. :rant:

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been through this area many times and always a group there. I'm always uneasy going through there just for the fact that there are signs stating "avalanche area do not stop". I want to get in and out asap. Most of the time these guys are parked halfway on the main trail, which slows it down for everyone trying to get through safely.

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is wrong with some peeps ,there is no consideration for safety even when every body knows the slide conditions,we had same situation at mica, cariboo basin last weekend the worst of it it was half the group was part of our group...

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is wrong with some peeps ,there is no consideration for safety even when every body knows the slide conditions,we had same situation at mica, cariboo basin last weekend the worst of it it was half the group was part of our group...

Dont feel bad i caught one of our group and a few other guys sitting on top of the slide that always crosses the trail just before the lake going into the grail a couple of weeks back. Some people arnt that bright.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is just a question because I have never sledded in Valemount before.....is this the same area that slid and caught that guy and his group at the bottom (caught on You tube, and now used in avy training courses)???? It sure looks like the same place. These guys that are playing on this hill are just asking for trouble, look at the cornices, and that terrain trap at the bottom. It would be a DEEP burial with minimum chance of survival. If these guys are playing on a hill like that obviously they are CLUELESS to avalanche safety and survival. If this did slide on one of them it would no doubt take the knowledge and quick thinking skills of one of the guys that told these morons to stay off the hill in the first place. It ceases to amaze me the amount of STUPID there is in the sledding world. :nono:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is just a question because I have never sledded in Valemount before.....is this the same area that slid and caught that guy and his group at the bottom (caught on You tube, and now used in avy training courses)???? It sure looks like the same place. These guys that are playing on this hill are just asking for trouble, look at the cornices, and that terrain trap at the bottom. It would be a DEEP burial with minimum chance of survival. If these guys are playing on a hill like that obviously they are CLUELESS to avalanche safety and survival. If this did slide on one of them it would no doubt take the knowledge and quick thinking skills of one of the guys that told these morons to stay off the hill in the first place. It ceases to amaze me the amount of STUPID there is in the sledding world. :nono:

differant hill but similar.

the big deal with this one is the fact that 100+ safe sledders pass by here every day while these goofs go at this hill. its just a matter of time

No Bad Days

Reaction score
I have been going by this spot lots since 1988 and have seen hundreds of sleds pass through. I have never seen it slide but have seen many slides sitting at the bottom. There is a reason why the trees at the bottom are sparce, short and leaning down hill. There is lots of good riding past this point and because of that people are going to punch through this area for a long time to come. Is there a way maybe we can borrow the demolition boys from Marmot Ski Hill and send a few mortar rounds into that face after a dump.
Just thinking a little proactively here. They do it at the ski hills, Rodgers pass to name a few. Yup, it will cost bucks. Comments??? Dave B.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Yup, it will cost bucks. Comments??? Dave B.

Who is willing to pay... because it will be very expensive to get experts in to do it!

There is very little danger in this area if you pass through here 1 sled at a time and make sure that you don't hang out in the middle of the path to take a pee break! I for one (and my group) have NEVER played on that spot... we just keep on going to find terrain that is more suitable... normally there is tons of pow in the trees straight past this hill and to the right... we play in there a lot. If people obey the signs and use their heads, peeps should be just fine... it is the people that are neuronally challenged that cause the problems!

zeke

Reaction score
How about where your red line ends and you turn left to leave the area. That chute to the right came down on a guy a few years ago and he didn't make it home. Saw tracks there the last time we went thru.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been going by this spot lots since 1988 and have seen hundreds of sleds pass through. I have never seen it slide but have seen many slides sitting at the bottom. There is a reason why the trees at the bottom are sparce, short and leaning down hill. There is lots of good riding past this point and because of that people are going to punch through this area for a long time to come. Is there a way maybe we can borrow the demolition boys from Marmot Ski Hill and send a few mortar rounds into that face after a dump.
Just thinking a little proactively here. They do it at the ski hills, Rodgers pass to name a few. Yup, it will cost bucks. Comments??? Dave B.

there is also another problem besides $$$$, if you bomb one slope you have to do them all and what happens if you miss one and someone dies. then there is the fact that in order to bomb you have to shut the riding areas down completely in order to do this. good luck with any of this.

MANSON

Reaction score
She is an angry hill as me and 6 others found out 7 yrs ago as we worked our way through the valey.We were not spread out enough and we were there just before noon.Moral of the story is some never came back to the hills and the rest of us learned a few very valuable lessons that day.

Highmarkm8

Reaction score
most deffinitly should not be in marked av area or at the bottom of hills were your buddy's are climbing its better to be farther way so u can have last point of site of your buddy when the slide happens. But just a tip when u approach people make sure your not swearing and being rude most people dont like to be told what to do and mite take offence to it. Theres no need to name call or beter yet post pictures off there rides and post them on snow and mud :nono:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most deffinitly should not be in marked av area or at the bottom of hills were your buddy's are climbing its better to be farther way so u can have last point of site of your buddy when the slide happens. But just a tip when u approach people make sure your not swearing and being rude most people dont like to be told what to do and mite take offence to it. Theres no need to name call or beter yet post pictures off there rides and post them on snow and mud :nono:

LOL

glad your a contributing member of this site now.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

time to move on, the rest of us are.

Top Bottom