Used Dodge diesel

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking into a used 2006 ram slt QC LB 2500 5.9 with 212k on it for $19,995, I test drove it on Saturday and it felt pretty tight all around. The engine had no noticeable leaks and engine compartment pretty clean, no gravel rash on the fenders, no dents, etc.

I am just wondering am I going to have to go through and do wheel bearings, ball joints or front crosses. How long do these trucks go before spending some cash on running components. I can do the work myself, that's not a problem I would just like to know what to expect.

I am suppose to be talking to the original owner tomorrow,.. but thought I would try to get some first hand knowledge of actual ownership experience.

Thanks,

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking into a used 2006 ram slt QC LB 2500 5.9 with 212k on it for $19,995, I test drove it on Saturday and it felt pretty tight all around. The engine had no noticeable leaks and engine compartment pretty clean, no gravel rash on the fenders, no dents, etc.

I am just wondering am I going to have to go through and do wheel bearings, ball joints or front crosses. How long do these trucks go before spending some cash on running components. I can do the work myself, that's not a problem I would just like to know what to expect.

I am suppose to be talking to the original owner tomorrow,.. but thought I would try to get some first hand knowledge of actual ownership experience.

Thanks,

I have 105K on mine . I had to replace one wheel bearing and axle u joint. New trans but I don't think that was fault of the truck but rather the shop at which I had it serviced. also had one tie rod end on the pitman arm replaced. Now just yesterday the water pump started leaking. other than that All good.

Last edited:

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
depends on ure driving

ask him if the updated steering linkage is already installed (should include ptman arm and complete tirod package and new steering stabelizer)

u joints hmmmm cant put a km on those some screw em up faster some dont

check for blow by
check rear main seal
check front timing cover and front crank seal

everything else aint that expensive :)

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends on ure driving

ask him if the updated steering linkage is already installed (should include ptman arm and complete tirod package and new steering stabelizer)

check for blow by
check rear main seal

Ya if the conversation with the previous owner looks promising,.. I will take it out to the farm and put it up on the hoist and check it over good.

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
depends on ure driving

check for blow by
check rear main seal

was that updated steering linkage a factory recall?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Take the vehicle to a reputable shop and get it checked out........ Good general checkover should only cost about 60 to 100 bucks and it would be worth it....money well spent

we've seen some vehicles come in to get checked out(pre-purchase checkovers) that actually drove good, but needed lotsa work ...... Just sayin'

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Take the vehicle to a reputable shop and get it checked out........ Good general checkover should only cost about 60 to 100 bucks and it would be worth it....money well spent

we've seen some vehicles come in to get checked out(pre-purchase checkovers) that actually drove good, but needed lotsa work ...... Just sayin'

Don't remind me........................:(:(

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I passed on this truck and am looking into 2 other 2006's with 55k and 160k, price range $20-$25k still with warranties.

I have a lift and scanner at the farm, so checking hours codes etc isn't a problem. I am a heavy duty mechanic and my brother in law is an automotive tech so if it needs work, we have our basis covered.

jayson

Reaction score
They are good trucks but I would try to buy one with 100k or less. These trucks are heavy and the front ends wear out early sometimes (bearings, ball joints). Don't even think about putting in a chip in the automatic unless you do some tranny upgrades as the automatics are not the most stout tranny out there. The 5.9 is by far the best diesel engine out there no matter what the dmax and ford guys say.

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
only a changeup if the truck was still under warranty.......

Thanks!!!! I will look into it....mine's still under warranty.. :) sorry for side-tracking your thread AreWeThereYet.

Happy Hunting on your truck AreWeThereYet! It took me a couple months to find mine, i got a dealership to get mine outta a dealer auction, it had well under 100 kms, and I got what I wanted :)

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!!! I will look into it....mine's still under warranty.. :) sorry for side-tracking your thread AreWeThereYet.

Happy Hunting on your truck AreWeThereYet! It took me a couple months to find mine, i got a dealership to get mine outta a dealer auction, it had well under 100 kms, and I got what I wanted :)

No worries

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
MY STEERING LINKAGES(TIE-RODS/PITMAN ARM, STEERING DAMPNER ETC ) AND ALL 4 BALL JOINTS WERE DONE UNDER WARRANTY AT 59000 KMS(I NOW HAVE ABOUT 90000KMS) ..... I DOO HAVE A 3" LIFT KIT IN IT AND BIGGER TIRES AND I ALSO UPGRADED THE SHOCKS..... CHIP IT FOR BETTER MILEAGE, BUT BEWARE TRANNIES ARE A LITTLE WEAK, IN STOCK FORM. DON'T LEAVE IT CHIPPED ON HIGHER MODES. I LEAVE MY EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE ON LEVEL 1 OR 3 OUT OF FIVE, AND 2 IS FOR TOWING...... RARELY GO TO 4 OR EVEN 5, PLUS I HAVE A SECOND CHIP FOR A LITTLE MORE OOMPH IF NEEDED;). AFE INTAKE KIT, BLADE RUNNER INTAKE RUNNER, EXHAUST WORK, REAR AIR BAGS WITH COMPRESSOR, LOTSA EXTRA GOODIES......... VERY HAPPY WITH THE BIG GIRL!!!:d

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Mines an '06 3500 dually with 66,000km that I ordered from the dealer. Had two rear u-joints done under warranty last week :d Front end is still tight, brakes are still good. This is the best truck I've owed and there's been a few over the years.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mines an '06 3500 dually with 66,000km that I ordered from the dealer. Had two rear u-joints done under warranty last week :d Front end is still tight, brakes are still good. This is the best truck I've owed and there's been a few over the years.
is that your grocery getter with ony 66k on it........ I agree they are a good truck

Top Bottom