Twin pipes versus single pipe

saylerrr

Reaction score
Hey guys Mark here. I need some info from the pro's here... Twin pipes versus single pipes?? Hearing great things going for the twins. Have an Cat M7 and what will give me that horse and sound im looking for?? D & D is what im looking at
thanks

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Twins are finicky to tune and are more sensitive to temp and altitude changes. That said, they will make more power then a single pipe. Don't know anyone with D&D twins, but SLP's twins work very nice on that sled.

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't crank up the compression, be prepared to lose some of your bottom end throttle response. If you are a wide open kind of throttle jockey, you will love them.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically a single pipe will increase performance in the bottom and middle of the power band. Twins will increase middle to top end power. Rob peter to pay Paul or vise versa as you usually can't have cake and eat it too unless you bump the compression as RWJK0 said. Good luck!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically a single pipe will increase performance in the bottom and middle of the power band. Twins will increase middle to top end power. Rob peter to pay Paul or vise versa as you usually can't have cake and eat it too unless you bump the compression as RWJK0 said. Good luck!

D&D pipes i have found dont work as well as others in the alpine. The are awesome lake racer type pipes. I put a d%d single in my m 1000 and had to take weight out of the primary in the alpine. It made less power than the stock pipe up top. Speed works or slp is what i would do

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a set of PSI twins on my 800RMK, they say on their website that they are a 21 hp gain. I love em.......just my $0.02

m8magic

Reaction score
consider jaws twins for pipes for the cats..thats what im gonna get

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a set of PSI twins on my 800RMK, they say on their website that they are a 21 hp gain. I love em.......just my $0.02

No offence but don't believe everything you believe on PSI's website...

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he he he, I as just quoting the website, I never promised a dyno test sheet. I agree that you gotta take alot of the performance info out there with " a grain of salt", all I know for sure is that they sure oke up that 800
Again......just my $0.02

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my dad has a set of slp twins on his 2000 rmk 800 and when its tuned right they run and pull great up top, dad had to get a vari flow so he can compensate for the change in altitude for town to the hills.

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy rides a 2005 m7 with twin jaws and them pipes makes that sled move pretty good up the hill alot more power than stock.

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
Personally I would go for the SLP's and a Boondocker box. They even give reccomendations for boonie box settings. The others probably do as well but I would have concerns about numbers from flatlanders:eek:

The biggest issue with twins on the M7 is heat soak. I would highly reccomend a sizable hood vent and gauge area vent. Or you can just go mesh hood. Either way you need some airflow for the twins in order to get any consistancy.

I have been looking at them too, and it seems the camp is split 50/50 love/hate. That tells me there are some tuning issues. Another concern is that the M7 already lacks torque, the twins will make it even more peaky.

For myself, even though it is twice the $$, I think I am going to go for the RKT 800 kit using stock 800 Cat pistons. They port the cylinders, and you run their head but you get 160+ on a stock pipe and can, no tuner box. That is 2010 M8 power and reliability. With a single they claim 170+ hp and tons of torque but you need to run a box.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jaws twins... know a few guys with M7's that run em and love em.
Just get a koso.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran both on many different sled applications from snow drags to mountain riding. My thoughts on this issue are that if you have the time and patience to tune your clutching and fuel delivery until you get the absolute optimum performance out of both; then twins will have more gain available than a single every time. If you want to install, make a couple of minor changes, and ride; a single is far more user friendly, and less affected by variables such as temperature and altitude changes. Just my opinion.....:beer:

cfowler

Reaction score
Thanks Shredder... and the rest of you guys.
I really don't want to messa round to much with tuning and tweaking. Reliability is more important to me. What gains would I see from installing a single pipe & fuel controller? I'm wanting more climbing power and a little more burst speed on the flats and trails. Is it worth the deniro? What setup is best for the M1k?
Thanks guys!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i run the speedwerx set-up on my '08 M1000 and love it. The only thing that made anywhere's close to the same type of change to my sled was changin the stock track out. It is a very noticable difference with the exhaust change i did. I also have all the numbers that you can put into a boondocker box and you'd be ready to go and wouldn't have to play with anything. I can also supply you with all parts you require. Just shippin out an exhaust to a guy in AB tomorrow mornin. If you have any questions give a call or PM for pricing and such.

Well worth the money changin exhaust on the 1000.

Last edited:

cfowler

Reaction score
Well i run the speedwerx set-up on my '08 M1000 and love it. The only thing that made anywhere's close to the same type of change to my sled was changin the stock track out. It is a very noticable difference with the exhaust change i did. I also have all the numbers that you can put into a boondocker box and you'd be ready to go and wouldn't have to play with anything. I can also supply you with all parts you require. Just shippin out an exhaust to a guy in AB tomorrow mornin. If you have any questions give a call or PM for pricing and such.

Well worth the money changin exhaust on the 1000.

I have the MBRP can installed, would I have to change that too?

Last edited:
Top Bottom