trucking career

tranquillicer

Reaction score
Like RMK Junky said......there are some pretty reputable companies out there that will invest in you by way of training programs and give you the oportunity to become independent as an OTR driver. N.Yanke is definitely one of those companies that would be a good place to start. Without experience you are a liability to any company for several reasons but primarly you are an increased accident risk as well as a risk to the equipment. I own a smaller fleet of 12 heavy haul trucks here on the prairies and believe me a driver with out experience can cost you far more than they ever earn for you. I prefer to hire newbies over the "old dogs" because I feel I can coach new drivers to become what I want, as oppossed to the "old dogs" that believe they know it all and do things their way no matter what.
A solid background of training and good driving record is a huge asset on your resume and will keep opening doors for you in this industry where ever you go.

Oilerfan99

Reaction score
I spent 26 years in the trucking industry, if I can offer you any advice is run away as fast as you can, trucking is a thankless job, you are away from family, you work long hours and weekends, the company demands your soul, it does not pay and at the end of the day you have nothing. I have friends who joined the military when we were 18, I went trucking and they got an education and saw the world in the military, guess who is still working? Look for work in a industry such as government, rail, military, fire fighter, police something with a pension.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it does not pay and at the end of the day you have nothing.

You obviously went into the wrong end of trucking.

If your looking into long haul, do it for a few years, get some experience, then look closer at the resource jobs. In my region logging is huge, but it is dangerous if you dont know what your doing. But the flip side is I get a minimum of 4 months a year off, drivers can earn between 500 and 600 a day, and you spend allot of time in the back country.

IF you have half a head on your shoulders, you drive for somebody to get experience, learn the industry then become an O/O. Work hard, look after your money, do your maintenance and you are your own boss and can make a very nice living. I dont recommend O/O for the highway, margins are way to slim, but if you can find a resource sector job that you enjoy, go that way.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You make it sound so good I may have to get hold of you LOL!
catmando!

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on out to BC and haul some logs, that will make a man out of you :)

On second thought, stay in Alberta and get 5 or 6 years under your belt before giving logging a shot.

coastal Log hauling= hours of boredom, with some moments of shear terror

on the up side of things ...its great when rush hour consists of a heard of elk, dear or moose crossing the road

I work out of FtMac , driving for Clean harbors. Its a steady work schedule and pays ok.I dont like running the highway and try to stay running Hydrovacs , combos and steamers.

for a new driver , there are alot of oppertunities to get experience in northern AB

Last edited:

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow,its unusual for the younger generation to want to get into trucking ,let alone long haul.All I can say is it aint what you think it is.I think I have hauled everything except swingin beef and apparently they put the kabosh on that for good reason.
Good Luck,you have been warned!
catmando!

X2, I hate to dissuade some one on a career choice. I was 21 when I got into it and was 25 when I got out of it. I started in the oil patch and moved into long haul. I got out of it because at 25 I finally said is this what I really want to do for the next 25 plus years.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Learned to drive at 15 as a swamper/rigger on a Picker and Bed truck. Was running them both off and on by the time I was 17. Was a "full flegded trucker" at 18 "legal class one driver I mean" Did it for yrs then switched careers numerous times BUT always got sucked back into the Oilpatch end of it. 25 years later and im still in the Oildpatch. Better career now mind you.

Owned my own trucks for some time as well. NEVER AGAIN lol

I hauled logs on Van Isl and AB, BUT the money and adrenaline rush couldnt compare to the Oilfield trucking in AB hands down.

Its always gunna be there so one NEVER has to worry about being outa work thats for sure!

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and dad just got their AZ licenses in Ontario and after doing 2 months of schooling both have found jobs very quickly. Figuring Alberta has a ton of job opportunities, it shouldn't be that hard to find a job. But then again, it helps to know someone.

Top Bottom