Trouble finding a sxs

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a commander and a maverick and I like using the maverick more . The better ride it gives makes long days way more easy on old bones . We do lots of hunting and have some terrible trail's . 17" of ground clearance helps a lot . My hillbilly flaps keep me clean
52045713791f43e5c570c7d3b6a4c9c6.jpg

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the canam ride on the Mav is nice ....but I like the reliability!

Tired of replacing axles / wheel bearings / tie rod ends / bushings every third ride on the popo's ...it never ends !

Rode with a commander all summer though ,and it surprised us how capable it was , & yet lots utility space .

The Problem I see most is people buy a utility machine ... Then inevitably,go out for a " ride or two " with the boys for fun . Well , when they can't keep up/ break chit / towed / stuck all the time etc etc... They are pissed st the machine .
Then they spend a fortune in extras to FIX the machine ...lol

Which never works anyways ...!

If there is any way this might happen , buy the better machine .... If you use it ( utility ) for its intended purpose, you will be happy .
On the other hand if you have a utility machine and want to go on some challenging / spirited rides ... Good luck .

The key is being honest on the machines intended use ...
You can't make a corvette into a mini van , or vice versa.....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My maverick has had one cv joint bust in 5000 KM's . I have been having bettter luck with my mav then the commander or my old rhino .
But different strokes for different folks

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A sport unit can be a dual purpose machine but a utility machine is only a utility machine

Not so true. A utility machine goes a lot of places, not nearly as fast but will still get you there. They break because guys think they can go mudding or jumping with them. I go everywhere my neighbor goes in his can am, sometimes I might have to take a slightly different path but we both end up in the same location. No matter what you have its only as good as the driver.

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because a utility unit can follow a sport unit don't change that it's a utility . Try driving it the same speed as a sport and you will get beat to death . But a rigged up sport unit can tow a 2000 lb trailer just as good as a utility unit like a rhino .
My mav will tow my loaded meat trailer just as good as the commander and better than the rhino in the skeg . The long travel suspension keeps all four tires on the ground and pulling .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The key question here is this :
Do you use it for enjoyment for the actual riding of the machine , or is it simply a means to transport you to activates that you enjoy much more ?
HUGE difference!
One machine will never be " top dog " in every category.
Some are adequate at both , some are suited for more of a single purpose solely for their intended use ....
My point is for example :
The group we ride with expect and enjoy a certain level of performance from
Our chosen machine , in other words , we ride because we like riding .. Period . We are not interested in cargo capacity , moose winching,mowing lawns ... Or what ever ... Now that is just us . Some one else might be of the totally opposite opinion, and that's great . Or somewhere in the middle ...of the two.

However , many many times we run across fellow riders who bought a let's say middle of the road machine & and come out for a few rides . Low & behold they really like the faster paced/ challenging riding type ... Who knew ?

Well then the inevitable happens , they break something ,get stuck all the time, overheat,can't keep up or whatever ... And they are bitter... Really bitter..lol
Lol .then they blame the other riders .....
Well my machine is not made for that , or , you are going to fast or whatever's....lmao.
NO , you just bought the wrong kinda machine for the type of riding you are starting to enjoy .... It really is that simple .

Really it's their fault though , they bought the the wrong machine for the application.

The same things happened ( happens) with quad s too,
Well I bought a Honda 400 to ride with the guys ... Can't keep up though, put on new tires , can't turn them .. Gear reduction... Can't go fast enough ....
Etc etc

Point is , if you have any dought whatsoever don't "underbuy
".... It just makes you an unhappy camper & costs way more $$$ in the end .

Do your home work in regards to what / where : how you intend to get the most enjoyment out of your new machine ...

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just because a utility unit can follow a sport unit don't change that it's a utility . Try driving it the same speed as a sport and you will get beat to death . But a rigged up sport unit can tow a 2000 lb trailer just as good as a utility unit like a rhino .
My mav will tow my loaded meat trailer just as good as the commander and better than the rhino in the skeg . The long travel suspension keeps all four tires on the ground and pulling .

This is so true .... Lol so true !

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats why I like my Commander, I find it the best combination of a utilitarian machine that can keep up with the sport machines pretty well. Lots of storage, lots of power, and fun to drive.

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree , I have seen it many times that a unit was bought and they said , I'm sure it will be ok .
Buy something that will fit in with your riding group without making them babysit

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats why I like my Commander, I find it the best combination of a utilitarian machine that can keep up with the sport machines pretty well. Lots of storage, lots of power, and fun to drive.

That's a very fair comment!
And if you are happy with that ,good on you ...that's what counts !

With the advance of the new general & commander the crossovers are getting better all the time ...
But trying to make one thing into another is totally idiotic, and expensive to boot ....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree , I have seen it many times that a unit was bought and they said , I'm sure it will be ok .
Buy something that will fit in with your riding group without making them babysit

Been there/ done that .... Lol way too much ....the whining & crying does get a bit much after a while..... Lmao

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know for sure my Yamaha rhino will not keep up ....hell a 570 rzr just kills it, I am that boat anchor at 64 kilometers an hour. I too replaced one hell of a pile of wheel bearings and you name it. There is a reason I do not break down on the trail and it is not because Yamaha is reliable.

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The popo general will be a good
Universal machine . The general has the same suspension travel and horse power as my maverick . Can am commander needs a facelift to keep up with the general . Popo is watching what customers want

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree ,that being said ,sadly the general inherited all the issues of the 2 ND generation Rzrs as well though ...

But the idea & concept is much needed ....
The next gen commander should be quite a change I would think. To bad Yamaha refuse to up the bar in this area ...
And CAT must be working on a new crossover machine you would think ?

Last edited:

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for some that are willing to waste money is build our own Frankenstein crossover . Can't buy it so build it .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of things on sxs's I would rather build than buy .... Haha
Roofs / skid plates / bumpers etc ... Don't get me started. The $$$ is in the add ons ..no ?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The key question here is this :
Do you use it for enjoyment for the actual riding of the machine , or is it simply a means to transport you to activates that you enjoy much more ?
HUGE difference!
One machine will never be " top dog " in every category.
Some are adequate at both , some are suited for more of a single purpose solely for their intended use ....
My point is for example :
The group we ride with expect and enjoy a certain level of performance from
Our chosen machine , in other words , we ride because we like riding .. Period . We are not interested in cargo capacity , moose winching,mowing lawns ... Or what ever ... Now that is just us . Some one else might be of the totally opposite opinion, and that's great . Or somewhere in the middle ...of the two.

However , many many times we run across fellow riders who bought a let's say middle of the road machine & and come out for a few rides . Low & behold they really like the faster paced/ challenging riding type ... Who knew ?

Well then the inevitable happens , they break something ,get stuck all the time, overheat,can't keep up or whatever ... And they are bitter... Really bitter..lol
Lol .then they blame the other riders .....
Well my machine is not made for that , or , you are going to fast or whatever's....lmao.
NO , you just bought the wrong kinda machine for the type of riding you are starting to enjoy .... It really is that simple .

Really it's their fault though , they bought the the wrong machine for the application.

The same things happened ( happens) with quad s too,
Well I bought a Honda 400 to ride with the guys ... Can't keep up though, put on new tires , can't turn them .. Gear reduction... Can't go fast enough ....
Etc etc

Point is , if you have any dought whatsoever don't "underbuy
".... It just makes you an unhappy camper & costs way more $$$ in the end .

Do your home work in regards to what / where : how you intend to get the most enjoyment out of your new machine ...

Yup you said it. You got to buy the machine for what you want/need/expect. When I ride with you and Ray I don't expect my machine to keep up you guys. I could if I really wanted to but it would be dangerous lol. I watch you guys go through the trails and it amazes me how they ride. Then send the next month talking my wife out of buying one lol. I really like my ranger it's the kind of machine I need and want. I need 3 seats and don't want a crew they are to big, and I need the big box as I load it up with ice fishing gear and hunting gear and works perfect for that. But it will still mud with the best of them, but I need better tires

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the original poster:
Loading a SxS on a deck is sketchy for sure and if you do go this route I highly recommend good heavy duty ramps and making sure your deck can handle the weight/dimensions… Physically go measure the SxS and add a couple hundred lbs to the marketed weight.

I used a deck for two rides, had a close call loading it in the rain at an angle and after that went the SxS route. The rest of the summer I did that then the next year I bought a toyhauler instead… I can load/strap down in 2 mins and the old lady isn’t stressing when I load anymore. I tell anyone that buys an SxS that they may decide to upgrade to a toyhauler down the road for ease of transportation, a lot of people end doing this

Top Bottom