Tri County Toy Ride trails ruined by quads

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question ???? Does the ASA have someone that goes around and does PRESENTATIONS (TALKs) ? I think maybe ASA ""could""" send someone to talk in the SCHOOLs around Ministik... Hay Lakes , New Sarepta , Tofield , South Cooking Lake , Ministik and others. Not just about QUADs, Just in general about trail systems and snowmobiling . My 2 cents ps. I believe that rules are TRACKED vehicles only during the season!!!!

The Alberta Snowmobile Association offers it’s SLED SMART snowmobile and atv safety course free of charge to Alberta schools. For more information or to book your free presentation, please call our office in Edmonton at
(780) 427-2695, or toll free at 1-888-506-SNOW.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Complaining on a snowmobile site wont get to many quadders. Post on mudpit site were quadders hang out and see what happens. Hopefully they control themselves

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Complaining on a snowmobile site wont get to many quadders. Post on mudpit site were quadders hang out and see what happens. Hopefully they control themselves
ummm...this joint is called Snow And Mud for a reason. many Alberta ATV riders frequent this site, I would even bet the ones that are members of other ATV only sites are a member here as well.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got no problem with guys wanting to ride in the mud just the idiots that rip up the groomed trails, burn doughnuts in the middle of the gravel roads,riding/ripping up farmers fields. e.t.c.

SKIROULE

Reaction score
Everyone knows what the problems are but there are no solutions. I remember seeing the same kinds of carelessness in the mid 80's when Quads were rare and you could ride in what you would think would be the middle of nowhere and still come across tracks. Alot of areas were shut down even then because of deaths, injuries, destruction and stupidity. There have been few changes since in laws and regulations on OHV including Snowmobiles. The majority of laws have come from what money can be made(Insurance,registration,petty fines).The solution up till now has been to shut down the area and be done with it. I was shocked to find out that is is not even a law to wear a helmut until this week when that girl was killed. The sledders are not imune. You frequently see drinking on the trail, riding where is restricted. If you live in Edmonton, take a drive down the Henday south and see how torn up it is and this is right in the city! It makes everyone look bad. I recently got back into sledding and am thinking of buying another Quad after not riding for 20years and am suprised to see that not much has changed, the idiots stlll ruin it for everyone but just on a way larger scale and no real orgainzation to deal with it.:(

Slash8

Reaction score
Let me just state for the record that I ride both quad and sled but I have never rode a quad in the Ministik area.
I have read all post in this section and a few others over the last couple of months and has it occoured to any one that the "Quad Riders" may have or just do not known?? "we know quads shouldnt be in this particular area as "sustainable resources" has allowances for certain clubs to use the system under very strict guildlines set forth by them. not to mention the labour intensive volunteer hours, the clubs commitment to hold fund raiseing events to purchase equipment to maintain the system" .Look at the sign at the #33 entrance. All it says is "OHV on designated trailes between 4am and 11pm" No where on there does it say NO QUADS!! OHV is a pretty broad spectrum to which "Quads" are under. I am under the impression that opinions are like rectums here and there are a few that all point in the same direction, so here's mine...Once someone leaves a staging area on a quad and is on the grounds do you think that are going to stop... No!! How many of you have done something about it? Here's quote I always find amusing, " No freakin' common sense yet again! I am not going to make any friends with this post, and I have one thing to say to all 17 of you..." Here's a little eye opener for you pal, common sence isn't some miraclious gift that you just inheret through genetics and DNA, It's learned. Some would say that tying your shoe laces is just common sence but I'll bet money someone showed you how didn't they? Education of the trail system is need in the area of "OHV'S". Is this a matter for you or I. No.... it's a concern for Sustainable Resources. They are the governing body of the land in which they let all of us ride on. I say put a petition together, stand at the gate and get every single sled rider to sign it to change the signage to make it clear for every one that is about to legaly enter the land (I said legally because I know someone out there is start crying about all the back entrances to get in there). Any one else who doesn't go throught the staging areas to get on to the property should have their asses kicked but not by you and I no, no, that's the responsibility of the Law and the Law it's self. So until someone does something about it all you are going to get are a bunch of these posts. As for me I go else where to feel the speed and to get the fresh air and the sunshine or the clouds and have a good time because there is usually some in the parking area in Ministik bitching about how some guy on a quad ruined the whole day because the trail wasn't smooth enough for their pampered ass. I realize that there a lot of club members that paid a lot of money for the equipment and the valuable time put in by volunteers is priceless but it's time to take it too the next level people. Do something about and then put a post on here highlighting the positives of your accomplishments and achievments and quit dwelling on the negatives.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I recalled that due to the fact it was a bird sactuary that no rubber wheeled vehicles where allowed unless under permit from SRD. Also that OHV's ( non rubber wheeled ) are allowed if there is a minimum of 4 " of snow from Dec 1 to April 1. I got into an argument while hunting because I was under the impession I had to walk in only (no ATV access) in and then I saw a few other hunters using a quad to drag out a moose. It turns out the other hunters were natives and they had access rights but Fish and Wildlife mentioned that no ATVs in the sactuary unless under SRD permit. I guess since then the rules must have changed. When I helped Tri County do trail clean up in the late fall at Ministik last year - Brian mentioned that we are able to access under permit and we had to record the license # and show insurance and registration to get in for work purposes only. I am confused about if it is legal or moral or both or niether . :confused:

Last edited:

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that was the reasoning for my first post about no quads allowed. i was informed the same way you were as to no access. another member on here has posted they called sustainable resource and that info was to the contrary. quads are apperantly allowed ( thus bringing up my second post )

perhaps theres a bit of confusion towards this. perhaps Brian Beebe can set this record strait or someone from the Ministik Club in the "know"

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that was the reasoning for my first post about no quads allowed. i was informed the same way you were as to no access. another member on here has posted they called sustainable resource and that info was to the contrary. quads are apperantly allowed ( thus bringing up my second post )

perhaps theres a bit of confusion towards this. perhaps Brian Beebe can set this record strait or someone from the Ministik Club in the "know"

Well here are the FACTS of MINISTIK

The Ministik Board of Directors was made up of 12 Multi user groups -- now only 10 user groups remain. The ASA is one user group, represented by Tri-County Snowmobile Club.

Alberta Off Hi-way was on the board and pulled out because they could not comply with the rules and regulation concerning rubber tired vehicle in an eco sensitive area like the Bird Sanctuary. That left no one to manage the quads for Alberta Sustainable Resources (ASRD). SO who do you think ASRD Assigned the task of managing quads --- You guessed it the ASA under the umbrella of -- get this -- "MOTORIZED SPORTS"

ASRD states that as long as Tri-County Snowmobile Club clears and maintains the trail system in Ministik it will remain open for MOTORIZED SPORTS. But when we GET pissed off enough and quit maintaining the trails then ASRD will close the trails to ALL -- MOTORIZED SPORTS

SO the question is back in our faces -- do we co-exist and respect each other or are we all kicked out.

Only a few people know the time, energy and cost put into maintaining the trails in Ministik..

Over the past 12 years Tri-County has maintained the trail system and the last 3 years we averaged 800 hours.

Our Groomer cost us $100,000.00 and took 7 years to purchase. Both times this years when we groomed the F___in quads were on the trails even before the sleds had a chance. So far for the 2009/10 grooming season the goomer has cost us $11,285.15 in maintenance and operating cost. We have yet to have a club ride on a groomed trail that has not already been ripped to sh_t by quads before we got on it

SO I ask you quad riders - If WE are unable to use OUR GROOMED trails then what is the point of maintaining then - if we do not do it next year MINISTIK will NOT OPEN then NO ONE RIDES period.

Bottom line - AOHV pulled out -- quads have NO representation on the board of directors and there fore no business in Ministik

If we can no longer use our trails and we pull out the sanctuary is closed to ALL MOTORIZED SPORTS period... Have good F__Kin Day Quadders

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Well said, brian........ Stand your ground, and you have the support of all snowmobile clubs!!! The snow angel's have had similar problems as you probably know. Do the quadders actually think the trails were groomed for their benefit, and without them paying any sort of trail pass fee?? Wtf, these jerks need to learn a little respect and find elsewhere to tear apart......

porkhaaks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
VERY well said BRIAN... you hit the nail .... Hoping the point gets across to the destroyers !!!!!!!! And I hope all the Quad riders spread the info to each other so the message gets out. I have told the Hay Lakes School and alot of the students in the school about this and the word is getting out there. There have been some comments that have come back to me from students. They have told some Quad riders to QUIT riding in Ministik and destroying the trails. They have also said that there is ONE mean & pissed off groomer operator out there. signed PORK

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here are the FACTS of MINISTIK

The Ministik Board of Directors was made up of 12 Multi user groups -- now only 10 user groups remain. The ASA is one user group, represented by Tri-County Snowmobile Club.

Alberta Off Hi-way was on the board and pulled out because they could not comply with the rules and regulation concerning rubber tired vehicle in an eco sensitive area like the Bird Sanctuary. That left no one to manage the quads for Alberta Sustainable Resources (ASRD). SO who do you think ASRD Assigned the task of managing quads --- You guessed it the ASA under the umbrella of -- get this -- "MOTORIZED SPORTS"

ASRD states that as long as Tri-County Snowmobile Club clears and maintains the trail system in Ministik it will remain open for MOTORIZED SPORTS. But when we GET pissed off enough and quit maintaining the trails then ASRD will close the trails to ALL -- MOTORIZED SPORTS

SO the question is back in our faces -- do we co-exist and respect each other or are we all kicked out.

Only a few people know the time, energy and cost put into maintaining the trails in Ministik..

Over the past 12 years Tri-County has maintained the trail system and the last 3 years we averaged 800 hours.

Our Groomer cost us $100,000.00 and took 7 years to purchase. Both times this years when we groomed the F___in quads were on the trails even before the sleds had a chance. So far for the 2009/10 grooming season the goomer has cost us $11,285.15 in maintenance and operating cost. We have yet to have a club ride on a groomed trail that has not already been ripped to sh_t by quads before we got on it

SO I ask you quad riders - If WE are unable to use OUR GROOMED trails then what is the point of maintaining then - if we do not do it next year MINISTIK will NOT OPEN then NO ONE RIDES period.

Bottom line - AOHV pulled out -- quads have NO representation on the board of directors and there fore no business in Ministik

If we can no longer use our trails and we pull out the sanctuary is closed to ALL MOTORIZED SPORTS period... Have good F__Kin Day Quadders
If the ASA is responsible for all motorized vehicles, does your club have the authority to restrict quads in there? I would think that responsibility should come with some authority. I'm not usually for restricting any group from an area, but if the snowmobile club is the only group showing up to meetings to keep the area open and the quad community is not putting any time or effort into it, then why should the snowmobile club groom the trails to be damaged by the quads. If the club does not have the authority now, the club should approach ASRD and ask for that authority. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me and I both quad and sled.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AND then the cross country skiers come along and poke holes in the trail and mess it up for everyone :)

Come on people we need to come up with a solution to work together we already have enough battles going on between loggers and sledders, back county skiers and sledders, people in eating establishments and sledders, tree huggers and sledders.

We are all out there just rtying to enjoy the day. Lets work with each other rather then against.

Oh did you also here that it was quadders that started the forest fires this summer out at Bruiderheim now the county of lamont wants to close the area off to ALL motorized vehicles

our areas are all slowly getting shut down

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say put a petition together, stand at the gate and get every single sled rider to sign it to change the signage to make it clear for every one that is about to legaly enter the land (I said legally because I know someone out there is start crying about all the back entrances to get in there). Any one else who doesn't go throught the staging areas to get on to the property should have their asses kicked but not by you and I no, no, that's the responsibility of the Law and the Law it's self.

I am friends with someone who owns a good chunk of land on the north side of Ministik Sanctuary, we rode from his house frequently and all we had to do was open a gate to get on to crown land. If you take his privilege away to do this Im sure he would put up fences to prevent quaders and sledder from running over his fields. Tread lightly on the back entrances subject, there isnt many people who park and ride from nearby as there is limited places to stage vehicles other than staging areas

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
Any trail designated as a snowmobile trail and covered by the ASA insurance can only be used by snowmobiles. There is NO insurance coverage for quads, or bikes. only sleds. With any snowmobile trail that includes any private land access, there is a land owner agreement that limits access to snowmobiles, so quads could be charged with trespass in these cases. Sadly quads seem to be our biggest problem in the snowmobile world and with no responsible group representing the quad user in issues like this there is no easy solution.

Dzl

Reaction score
AND then the cross country skiers come along and poke holes in the trail and mess it up for everyone :)

Come on people we need to come up with a solution to work together we already have enough battles going on between loggers and sledders, back county skiers and sledders, people in eating establishments and sledders, tree huggers and sledders.

We are all out there just rtying to enjoy the day. Lets work with each other rather then against.

Oh did you also here that it was quadders that started the forest fires this summer out at Bruiderheim now the county of lamont wants to close the area off to ALL motorized vehicles

our areas are all slowly getting shut down

Knowing someone who lives very close by to that site, and almost lost his dad's acreage, they have several times a season had to put out 'campfires' left by quadtards that were still burning or glowing, and many times come accross fireworks casings etc....

As someone who grew up 8 miles from there, it ticks me off when I see these quadtards haul in from elsewhere, and then cause problems like this that may lead to permanent closure of good riding areas.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I have family out there also that were evacuated by the fire. All I am saying is that off road recreational users or what ever you want to call it. snowmobilers and atvers and such need to come up with a viable solution to somehow work together. I live out in the country with 3 fields surrounding my house. Sledders are always out there busting drifts and ripping accross have any of them come a knocking on the door and ask for permision. I say no. I Have other family memebrs that also own land and you can always guarentee every year hunters go in with out permision there are sled tracks all the time. Just because you see one set does not give the whole province permision to go ahead and abuse it. Burnt sleds left on top of mountains. Garbage left in the cabins. Graffitee on the cabin walls. You can not say quadders are irresponsible. The majority of the people participating in these activites do it because the love it and respect it. IT is a few bad apples tha lable all so lets not single out any one group and popint fingers at them till we can look in the mirror and ask ourselves what have we done to help improve or educate the uneducated.

Just realize when you are pointing a finger at someone you are pointing 3 back at yourself

Top Bottom