Trailer batteries..

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to Upgrade the batteries in my sled trailer.
What size, type or how many batteries that will run for a night or two???

Running lights, forced air furnace w/2 fans and stereo etc. Trailer is a 22'.

Big Cat battery or a couple 6 volts?

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pair of 6 volt batteries. 6 volts don't have a memory like 12 volt so when I get home I leave the trailer plugged in until next trip. Bought mine from Rockies Battery. Super happy after 2 years.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pair of 6 volt batteries. 6 volts don't have a memory like 12 volt so when I get home I leave the trailer plugged in until next trip. Bought mine from Rockies Battery. Super happy after 2 years.

Lead acid batteries don't have memory.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 6 volt dry cell batteries from interstate, good batteries but will not run for 2 days, you will get one night out of it but will depend how well insulated and temp it's kept at. Really happy with my results. Plan to better insulate my trailer.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dumb question, but going to ask cause I don't know. how is the this of trailer battery typically charged? Only trailers I have only have break away battery. thanks.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 6 volt dry cell batteries from interstate, good batteries but will not run for 2 days, you will get one night out of it but will depend how well insulated and temp it's kept at. Really happy with my results. Plan to better insulate my trailer.

Dry cell ?

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dumb question, but going to ask cause I don't know. how is the this of trailer battery typically charged? Only trailers I have only have break away battery. thanks.

Only way they are charged is through /when your tow vehicle is connected -it uses your vehicle alternator to charged them ! But it takes a long time to fully charge them - would put a charger on them to fully charge them when not being used or use solar panel to help charge them if staying in trailer for few days

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand how a battery is charged by an alternator. Info I'm looking for is, how is the automotive battery wired into the trailer. Meaning, if batteries were added to a trailer after it was built. Do they get power from the same charge circuit as the break away battery?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I understand how a battery is charged by an alternator. Info I'm looking for is, how is the automotive battery wired into the trailer. Meaning, if batteries were added to a trailer after it was built. Do they get power from the same charge circuit as the break away battery?
Yes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An automotive electrical system isn't a good way to charge batteries. It is only a maintainer. I was told that if you ever run a battery dead, you need to run a proper charger to it to bring it back to full state.

Even the 6 hour drive back from the mountains won't be enough.

Top Bottom