Triton Trailer, Battery replacement and/or Solar Panel install?

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some assistance, seeing if anyone has a solar panel installed on their snowmobile trailer to maintain the batteries? I probably have to replace the two batteries every 2-3 years. Have had 2 tritons w/dual batteries since 2009, If I remember my 2009 model was the same as my current one. Use my trailer this weekend and they are dead again, not taking charge, so looking at new options to keep them from draining.

If so which one did you buy or install? any other parts needed?
Tips on installation, assuming just attach to the batterie? photos?
Is there any concerns with over charging?
Anything else to know?

Thanks in Advance!

Mike

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you letting the batteries run low and freeze??? You should have your trailer plugged in during the winter. A solar panel wont charge with snow on them.

You will definitely need a charge controller and the proper sized wire if you go solar tho.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you letting the batteries run low and freeze??? You should have your trailer plugged in during the winter. A solar panel wont charge with snow on them.
They very well could just looking at some options to help the cause. I keep the trailer at a storage unit/yard so unable to keep plugged in. Ya, realize that the panel would not work with snow on it, but would help as snow blows off when on the road, melts with furnace on, sun hits it, and no snow in the summer.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They very well could just looking at some options to help the cause. I keep the trailer at a storage unit/yard so unable to keep plugged in. Ya, realize that the panel would not work with snow on it, but would help as snow blows off when on the road, melts with furnace on, sun hits it, and no snow in the summer.

Solar may help you, in the winter the panel out put will have to be high. Maybe take the battery out while its in storage.

Is there a battery disconnect so you could shut off the power to the trailer while in storage. IMO when its in storage its the problem, I know it may be a pain, but taking the battery home

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This spring I put a 330watt 60 Cell Canadian Solar panel and Victron Smart Solar 100/20 MPPT charge controller on my fifth wheel. The process really isn't that difficult, mounting the solar panel and running the wires from the roof is the most difficult part (my trailer came prepped for solar so had the wiring already). My panel is overkill for just maintaining the battery, but works well when we are off-grid camping to keep that battery charged. I also installed a Victron Pheonix 375VA inverter to power the TV and other small electronics in the trailer off the batteries at the same time.

Charge controller: I'd recommend one of the Victron Smart Solar MPPT Controllers, charging voltages are all adjustable through bluetooth on an app on your phone. They also compensate for temperature down to +4c to prevent overcharging on the hot days of summer, the Victron Smart Battery Sense can be added to allow temperature compensation down to -10c.
Something like this: www.amazon.ca/Victron-SmartSolar-MPPT-75-10/dp/B075NTT8GH/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=victron+mppt&qid=1626621583&sr=8-6

Solar panel: For the above charge controller your really want at least a 24 volt nominal panel to work properly, this is the best way to ensure the charge controller gets enough voltage to keep the battery topped off in winter. Otherwise it really doesn't matter what you go with, in Calgary there should be a few retailers that sell solar panels, a 60cell residential module is probably about the cheapest route if you don't mind the large size and mounting it to the roof. Many retailers will also have smaller 24 volt panels that will work as well.

Sizing: The panel(s) and the controller should be sized somewhat close to optimize output, as such the controller I have shown can output 120 watts, but realistically could handle a 150watt panel nicely as laying a panel flat on the roof never realizes its full output.

Wiring: I'm not an electrician by any means, so I just followed the instructions that came with the controller, speced the wire sizes by an ampacity chart, added the fuses and grounds where shown and I was off to the races. It only took me a day to get the whole setup installed.

Personally I'd stay away from the Canadian Tire/Costco kits, you end up paying more for an inferior PWM controller than if you buy the separate components yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can help the best that I can.

Top Bottom