track speed

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was out at eco marine and the dealer told me the 08 xp's only get 27 mph track speed, he said the 09 xp' climb better because they get around 35-37mph track speed. that to me sounds way to low, so i went in to mt magic to pick up my 06 rev and was asking ken about this. he said it is true, and it is d o to there crap clutches. if you were to go with the p-85 and team secondary you would gain your lost track speed back. i did this on my 06 and gained about 8-10 mph track speed turning a longer and bigger lugged track then my stock setup, that was also droping my drivers from 10 tooth to a 7 tooth.
just some food for thought...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, my speedo must be waaay out to lunch then. what must the D8, M8, and '07 Revs turn for track speed, 'cause stock none were close to my '08 XP for climbing.....and they had longer tracks.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was out at eco marine and the dealer told me the 08 xp's only get 27 mph track speed, he said the 09 xp' climb better because they get around 35-37mph track speed. that to me sounds way to low, so i went in to mt magic to pick up my 06 rev and was asking ken about this. he said it is true, and it is d o to there crap clutches. if you were to go with the p-85 and team secondary you would gain your lost track speed back. i did this on my 06 and gained about 8-10 mph track speed turning a longer and bigger lugged track then my stock setup, that was also droping my drivers from 10 tooth to a 7 tooth.

turboal in Revy has it figured out, people should give him a call before buying a whole new clutch setup. Gearing is still off according to SledHead Racing, some reports of 21 top gears but Doo says 19. If 19 is there, then it might start to drop that low. Sounds like do to the sound emissions that they were hitting, Doo has the valves opening at 7400 rpms, you can send them to Al and he will cut them to make them open sooner, really wakes this sled up apparently.

finndoo

Reaction score

I am sure that the p85 and team set up can work well and I would run it on my xp if I had the cash. You did overlook one thing, by dropping driver size from 10 to 7 you actually create a speedo error of around 30% if your speedo cable is driven off of the driveshaft. So what used to be 27 mph now looks like 35 mph on the speedo.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got about 48mph track speed before i droped driver size as my sled is a 2006 rev. The reason i had to drop the drivers is so i could fit the 2 1/2 paddle in there without drop and rolling it, plus it gave me a good gear reduction for more torque which i needed for bigger paddles and a longer track. I will say one thing it is an animal now, ken at mt magic knows how to make them work very well.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
running the p-85 polaris clutch on your doo will take out your crank over time because the p-85 dont have the rubber stopper on the outside of the clutch like the TRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant see why a P-85 clutch would take out a crank on a skidoo product. Polaris has been running them for years and its not like they go through cranks worse then any other brands. Ive had one on my RT and ifound that it is quite a bit lighter than the skidoo primary, never weighed it but someguy off snowest said it was 4 pounds lighter. Ive got about 1200 kilometers on this setup with out any problems. Ill post if i do.:rolleyes:

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put Polaris primarys on Doo's all the time here at the shop. It works very well. The TRA is heavier and does have the damper but that is only to try and help with harmonics. I put a Polaris primary and a 670 years ago and he put almost 4000 kiks on it with no crank problems. The Team secondary also works, I've sold a few and had very happy customers. It also makes the secondary removable so it's earier to get at the carbs etc.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With minor clutching changes (primary spring w/less finishing force and more weight in the primary), all of which were warranty covered, I have had no problem with track speed. I put a 20 tooth top gear in this year as well (better for playing in the powder), and it hasn't affected climbing track speed from what I can tell. Many people have complained about the backshifting ability of the new reverse angle secondary helix on the 2009 xp's. I am not sure why manufacturers have such a hard time getting clutching set in a reasonable way on new machines. Not everyone is happy with the same clutching, but at least get it close so that there are less warranty issues to deal with....

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
06 Rev 800 with all stock clutching/gearing and track speed is about 48MPH. Motts said they prefer the TRA over Polaris clutch when I wanted to make the switch so I didn't bother. P-85 seems to have a short lifespan on a doo, not sure why just what I've seen friends go through.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know of a guy not gonna mention any names but he ran the p85 on his 05 rt 1000 and something happened with the clutch and it broke the end of his crank right off. they must have a short life span cause he was always replacing rollers and pucks it just never really worked well for him

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know of a guy not gonna mention any names but he ran the p85 on his 05 rt 1000 and something happened with the clutch and it broke the end of his crank right off. they must have a short life span cause he was always replacing rollers and pucks it just never really worked well for him

What p85 was he running? was it from a 700,800 or 900? Mountain magic uses p85's from the 900 because there built stronger than the ones for smaller motors. He's been putting p85's on his mods for years and they seem to work good for him. I seen powderchowders sled go along with another buddy with an 07 XRS with the same set up and those sleds are amazing. Both have single pipe, v-force, p85 with team secondary pushing 156x16x2.5 7 tooth drivers and 19/45 gearing. I have the same setup minus the p85 and track and i am no match for there machines.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went down to mountain magic too, and Ken really knows his stuff.

My 07 800r Rev got the 19 tooth top gear, 7 tooth apex drivers, team secondary, and the 156 x 2.5 inch track. And I'm VERY happy with it.

My buddies 07 XRS 800r used to beat me every time up any hill, but now he cant touch me, I beat him every time, and I'm at least 40lbs heavier than him.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not too sure what sled it came off of but it did originaly come from mountain magic. and when it wasn't broken it worked well just seemed to have issues with it

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went down to mountain magic too, and Ken really knows his stuff.

My 07 800r Rev got the 19 tooth top gear, 7 tooth apex drivers, team secondary, and the 156 x 2.5 inch track. And I'm VERY happy with it.

My buddies 07 XRS 800r used to beat me every time up any hill, but now he cant touch me, I beat him every time, and I'm at least 40lbs heavier than him.

What are you putting the 156 on ? 151 with big wheel kit ? What does the XRS have for stock gearing and drivers ... im not even sure and i own one haha. Eventually id like to change out the stock track for a 2.5" challanger.

Which model is his that weighs another 40lbs ? 159 version stock ?

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you putting the 156 on ? 151 with big wheel kit ? What does the XRS have for stock gearing and drivers ... im not even sure and i own one haha. Eventually id like to change out the stock track for a 2.5" challanger.

Which model is his that weighs another 40lbs ? 159 version stock ?

I think he means bodyweight.

Top Bottom