Tough to compare

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.The other day we were out and a buddy said that the best way to actually compare stock sleds he thought was still just go to bottom of agile and each take a new line and see who gets the highest. Apples to apples, rider weight, cc's, track length. And you know what, thinking about it, he may be right, what we have defaulted to now seems like a system where every one can claim one brand or style is better because the system of actual comparison is so vague and sketchy. The traits or qualities that are deemed to be the best are just barely tangible to a lot of riders, and are impossible to compare for most.
And yeah I know , hill climbing is stupid, blah blah, but find a safe hill, best if it's a hill no one can actually crest, and compete. The things necessary to do well , HP, weight transfer, ski height, track on the ground, back shifting, supply of cold air, throttle response, and ability to essentially sidehill to turn out when necessary . If each participant is making his own track it's pretty clear who the best is no ? And it seems to me that all the qualities needed to compare sleds say in the meadows or on treed slopes are similar but way more clear and less susceptible to be masked by rider ability. Now as cool as the big yammie guys are, that's not quite what I'm suggesting, I'm talking hills that we mortals can handle where stock sleds can MAYBE get over. To me, that sorta makes sense, lays bare the ability to handle bumps, lose traction and recover rpms, overcome trenching , and overcome sticktation cause of hp heat build up. Hard to hide.
Seems to be a trend for whatever reason to shy away from this, not sure why, but personally I get a bit full of watching video after video of guys doing wheelies for 5 minutes straight missing a hundred trees by inches and sidehilling across hummocks and creek banks. Gets kinda painful after a while. That's me, if we differ, no problem, I really enjoy watching a bit of that with some good old fashioned hill climbing where the rider has to work at it or milk it and then still get turned out and not stick it. I ride with a lot of guys all different but when the hills are safe, it seems to me , other than on here, everybody still gets a thrill and looks forward to challenging their machine and themselves on a good steep. And you know what, have done a bit of both and the rush I get missing a tree or jumping a drift don't get my blood moving like getting it all out of whatever I'm riding , then gettingbitbturned out and riding it back down, that's a friggen rush every time.
Im also a bit confused how if you ride in the trees or meadows you ride technically, but if you do the same while climbing bigger slopes, it's non technical.
Whatever you choose to do, do it safely

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the first post I have ever seen where you arent a complete dick! haha

And yes I agree. Even if you did have a completely objective shootout where the same rider takes all 3 sleds up the same hill, and does everything the same.......and one happens to go 10 feet higher.....IMHO it doesnt mean much because there are so many other factors. Its whatever sled works all around for you. I cant stand riding the Pro, but alot of guys love them so they obviously arent a bad sled.....just not for me.

Ive said it before.....I think theyre all pretty awesome at this point. Its just a matter of picking the one that works for you.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And yes I agree. Even if you did have a completely objective shootout where the same rider takes all 3 sleds up the same hill, and does everything the same.......and one happens to go 10 feet higher.....IMHO it doesnt mean much because there are so many other factors. Its whatever sled works all around for you. I cant stand riding the Pro, but alot of guys love them so they obviously arent a bad sled.....just not for me.

Ive said it before.....I think theyre all pretty awesome at this point. Its just a matter of picking the one that works for you.

thats what i was going to say. one small compression at the base of a hill and how the rider compenstates for it with throttle control and body position can make 10-100ft difference in height.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what i was going to say. one small compression at the base of a hill and how the rider compenstates for it with throttle control and body position can make 10-100ft difference in height.

So are you actually saying that some sled other than a Ski Doo might go further up the hill in one of these comparisons at some point in time? If so then they must be all pretty close in performance.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are you actually saying that some sled other than a Ski Doo might go further up the hill in one of these comparisons at some point in time? If so then they must be all pretty close in performance.

Now your just twisting my words lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah that's the difference between us , I'm not a complete dick ALL the time.

geo

Reaction score
Maybe you guys are just not old enough but that was the "way" back when.

The winner was ALWAYS the last "poker" and NOBODY took a completely fresh line. Lots of peeps on here spent days and days and days at it.

Biggest difference I see today is the BS stayed on the hill with a slap on the helmet to finish it 'til the next hill lol. Today nothing can stop it on the net and the most posts wins.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Lenny! Good post and topic. I fully agree with you! While the "tight and technical" lines in tress definitely show who is a good rider and who has a sled that can hold a good side hill, there is also an element of who has the higher risk tolerance. As in who's willing to sidehill across a cliff or a along a steep hill above a stand of sled-wrecker trees... We had a blast last weekend on Sunday on the east side of Superbowl at Boulder watching my 17 year old son on his Pro RMK go toe to toe with a stranger on a new XM. The XM rider looked to be about 25 lbs heavier than my son and yet clearly had the advantage in setting the highmark. Not to take it laying down my son kept hitting it in the spirit of friendly competition. Once he planted it within about 10 feet of the highmark, I was very impressed when it was the XM rider was the first one up to give him a hand to get unstuck! To whoever you are, thanks for the entertainment, fun times, and gracious helping hand. It's what sledding is all about in my opinion! Ride safe and have fun!

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Lenny! Good post and topic. I fully agree with you! While the "tight and technical" lines in tress definitely show who is a good rider and who has a sled that can hold a good side hill, there is also an element of who has the higher risk tolerance. As in who's willing to sidehill across a cliff or a along a steep hill above a stand of sled-wrecker trees... We had a blast last weekend on Sunday on the east side of Superbowl at Boulder watching my 17 year old son on his Pro RMK go toe to toe with a stranger on a new XM. The XM rider looked to be about 25 lbs heavier than my son and yet clearly had the advantage in setting the highmark. Not to take it laying down my son kept hitting it in the spirit of friendly competition. Once he planted it within about 10 feet of the highmark, I was very impressed when it was the XM rider was the first one up to give him a hand to get unstuck! To whoever you are, thanks for the entertainment, fun times, and gracious helping hand. It's what sledding is all about in my opinion! Ride safe and have fun!

Amen Jim. That is what it is about.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think its complete bs when guys go "...wahhhh he cheated he poached his track!" Hill climbing is who is the better rider using what ever means necessary to mark the hill. Taking different tracks just shows which sled is better in fresh snow. Which usually is the guy with the longest track set up properly. Good competitive hill climbing is when everyone is using the other tracks to get the most momentum possible. And as stated earlier, the guy who can handle the bumps and ruts the best wins!
This coming from the 154 that kills 163s almost everytime by poaching tracks! :p

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow......4 days to come up with that? Im disappointed Lenny.

Ive read most of your posts! I'm sure disappointment is something I'm sure you're quite familiar with.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think its complete bs when guys go "...wahhhh he cheated he poached his track!" Hill climbing is who is the better rider using what ever means necessary to mark the hill. Taking different tracks just shows which sled is better in fresh snow. Which usually is the guy with the longest track set up properly. Good competitive hill climbing is when everyone is using the other tracks to get the most momentum possible. And as stated earlier, the guy who can handle the bumps and ruts the best wins!
This coming from the 154 that kills 163s almost everytime by poaching tracks! :p

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

so true!! these guys that keep talking about making fresh tracks are never going to make it to there destination LOL

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive read most of your posts! I'm sure disappointment is something I'm sure you're quite familiar with.

Maybe you should re-read that and look into some weekend grammar classes. Can you elaborate?

And you've taken the time to read most of my posts? Wow, not sure whether to feel honoured or creeped out.

You're awesome Lenny.

Top Bottom