Tonneau cover / sled deck

ARCTIC FOZZY

Reaction score
I am wondering if there would be any interest in a tonneau cover sled deck for 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton trucks.

I have designed one that is made for a newer dodge 1500. I have not built one yet but I am certain it would work very well.

-the deck would weight around 150 lbs or less.
-built out of aluminum
-easy rivet together assembly
-would hinge at the front with gas shocks to hold it up for access into the box just like a hard cover would.
-built in ramp for loading sled or quad.
-single place deck
-available for any truck
-super glides for skies or tires
-optional superclamp for tie down

This deck was designed for people that haul tools and other things for work that need them covered and to then function as a toy hauler deck on the weekends.

The attached pics shows the truck box and a short pull out extension for a track support, the pics do not show the ramp or the front headache rack.

The headache rack would just be like 6" tall to stop your skies from going through your windshield and to allow a pivot point for the deck.

The ramp would slide out on channels which would be mounted to the bottom of the deck and would lift up with the deck.

I am thinking this deck will be priced right around 2200.00 including superglides, gas shocks, headache rack, and loading ramp.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

brandon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 493

Nick568

Reaction score
I would have LOVED if this existed when I was shopping for a tonneau a few months ago. Couldn't justify the cost of a truckboss. Ended up going with a folding tonneau so I can haul a sled in the bed if I need to.
But then the issue is what to do with gear. Something like your design would've been perfect.
I also run a 1/2 ton, so a single-place deck would've been all I would want.

Suggestion: Design a way into it to incorporate an option extension on the back for long track sleds.

I assume this would be sealed so weather wouldn't get inside the bed? Locking as well?

ARCTIC FOZZY

Reaction score
This deck does have the slide out extension for long track sleds. You can see it out in the first pic.

This deck is completely different than the truck boss deck, first off it doesn't go together in multiple pieces it is 1 piece.
second major difference is that it lifts up by simply unlocking the 2 rear corner locks which the truck boss does not do.

if for some reason it needs to come off the truck to haul something like a fridge or tall items, it takes about 3 min to unlock the rear corners and pull the 2 pins at the front and 1 person could take it off the truck in 1 piece.

Thanks for the info. Keep it comin

brandon

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm intresting I would be intresting in seeing how this works out and most likely intrested in one.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very cool idea and if reasonably priced it should see quite well.
Sometimes I wish I had someting like this instead of my deck as it does nothing to keep snow dust and water out of the box.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to rain on a parade or anything but are you ready for liability issues? What if someone wrecks their box because of this or the pins fail and the whole thing comes off at highway speeds and takes out a car? Not saying it will but I always look at the worse case senario of everything so I'm prepared.

rgashkei

Reaction score
I like the idea. Would have to really look at how it is tied onto your truck. There is a lot of torque when corning with a sled up that high. Would the rails be strong enough? Just something that highway traffic may be looking at.

ARCTIC FOZZY

Reaction score
The front headache rack will be mounted to the front of the box, and ratchet tied to the tie point near the floor. At the rear the deck would also be ratchet strapped to the rear tie points near the floor.

These tie points are rated to take alot more load than they would be taking.

As for the liability reasons, i will not be selling these at this time for commercial use, they will only be for personal use.

You as an individual can put anything on or in your box and it is up to you to make sure it is properly secured, that being said it will be designed on my side to be properly secured with no issues.

When you buy this from me on the quote i will have it read. This product does not carry any warranty and i can not be held liable for any reason for this product.

This would cover me as a private person which legally should never come to this being it is designed for personal use.

I like all the interest everyone has, keep it comin.

I will pm the ones that have more interest right away so check your messages, if i missed you sent me a pm.

Thanks

brandon

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the idea, but there's no way I'm going to support a sled with my box sides. Needs to be supported by the bed.

ARCTIC FOZZY

Reaction score
I have been very skeptical about not having any support for the deck other than the box sides.

My original plan was to have supports, until i saw a few other decks out there that don't have any support, so before I ditch that idea I want to try one out to see how I need to do it.

I have been thinking about putting small vertical posts at the rear corners so most of the load is transferred to the floor, would also work good then for a lock and solid secure point for the deck.
the posts would mount to the truck box so they don't have to lift with the cover.

Again this is just an idea, once I build the first one I will take all of this into account, I don't build things cheap or under strength, I like to do it right the first time.

thanks

Brandon

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would work better. I've seen a couple of truck boxes destroyed by decks supported by the box sides, mind you they had 2 sleds on them.

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Brandon

I really debated whether I should bother posting or not as it typically turns into a lot of back and forth, but as this thread progresses I think that I can add something positive to it based on my manufacturing experience. First off I hope you receive this with an open mind and see that it is nothing other then free advice that will hopefully help you if this is a product you decide to pursue building. I do not know your fabrication experience or equipment you have access to so I will do my best to keep that in mind.

As Mike mentioned it is essentially a Diamond back cover. You have gone and added some recessed area's for the ski's and some superglides, but at the end of the day it is a Diamond back cover, however with that being said there are only so many ways you can build a truck cover so it is what it is. You mention that you are going to make it lighter and simpler therefore being cheaper. The issue with this is that the boys over at Diamond back have put a lot of time and money into designing and testing their product and they have determined for the proper support that it needs to be built the way it is built, otherwise they would build it lighter to save on cost as well, in manufacturing margins are tight so anywhere money can be saved it is. Also there are a lot of people who are not fans of loading up their box sides (I am one of those) and when you start making the main deck that is now going to rest on the box rails lighter, the support has to be picked up somewhere (box sides)

The other issue is the tremendous amount of variation in truck boxes. Looking at your design, it looks as though you want to press brake and form metal sheet to make the decking surface. Regardless of how you are building it, you will need drawings, blue prints, and jigs for each size of box out there, from a 84 Chev to a 2013 Ford dually, and everything in between. The other option is to build them one at a time, then the customer has to drop his truck off while you build the cover, this limits your ability to expand your business to a world market. Also when you start doing things one at a time your $2200 price point is going to leave you next to nothing for profit margin. Further to that if something fails, like a hinge or a ramp etc... and you have to spend half a day or more repairing it, you are now working for free.

You also mention that the front of the cover will be ratchet strapped to the lower tie points, you would also need to add lips under the cover to hold it from going side to side, also the problem with ratchet straps is the shrink and expand with climate change, you would be better off with a turnbuckle. The only problem with a turnbuckle in your design is that it would make it difficult to open the rear portion of the deck to haul a fridge as you mentioned.

The other thing is that with there being a product out there already, Diamond Back, your product has to look as professionally finished if not more finished then theirs. Your product needs to look like it came out of the factory as part of the truck. There are a bunch more points I can touch on but I will leave it there.

With all this being said, it isn't meant to discourage you, this is how industry's progress. What it is meant to do is to open your eyes to the reality of the world of manufacturing.

My suggestion to you would be to build yourself one unit (a prototype), make drawings and take notes, keep accurate costs of materials and labor, then test the heck out of it. I will guarantee you that you will find things that need changing and improvements, then you can make yourself a second unit and workout any bugs that may pop up again, with any luck you will most of the major things ironed out, then you can source hinges, and gas shocks, locks etc... make your self a bill of materials, blue prints and jigs for each and every box you choose to provide a cover for (you could start with 4 or 5 different boxes to start with) establish your suppliers, then build your final unit with an instruction/owners manual. Then you have a product that you can sell, you then know your true costs, and you know you are making money doing it. You can support that product and give customer service. Then start advertising and being prepared to offer any warranty and deal with any liability issues that may come up (as you mentioned you will have a liability waiver that waives your responsibility which is a great idea and believe it or not actually holds some weight, however in order for that to be determined you could spend $10 000 just to get to the point where the Judge says your right)

The other option, build one for yourself and enjoy it! Maybe a couple buddies or odd guy that is going to drop off his truck with you.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think the weight will be a big isue the front and back should take most of the weight not the sides
how many guys just put their sled in the back lift it up and close the endgate
prob 80% othe the weight is on the tailgate and it seems to be fine
I wouldnt be woried at all

ARCTIC FOZZY

Reaction score
I guess i should have mentioned at the beginning of this:

I am a mechanical designer, i do stuff like this for a living day in and day out.

This is a very small scale project compared to what i do for a living.

This was initially designed for my brother, and i figured why not let the rest of the world in on it if they so choose to want one.

I do not have any plans on mass production, i am just allowing my local sled heads access to my product.

I work full time for falcan industries, and do this as a hobby on the side because i can, i build everything for myself if i can.

I have a software program worth around 12,000 that allows me to do full structural analysis, load testing and dynamics. This is designed such that i can make it any size i want with a click of a mouse, it give me a full bom (bill of materials) for every size and model i want to make, and i can reproduce these exactly the same every time.

The pricing i have set currently is based on small scale of 1 or 2 units at a time, if i were to build 10 units i could get costs down easily 20%.

I have full access to state of the art cnc lasers and cnc brakes, i can virtually make anything out of sheet metal.

The way this is designed there is next to no labor in putting this together, it all rivets together. There is no welding at all as of yet.

I have not designed the ramp yet, but when i do it will also all rivet together so if a part gets damaged your just drill and re-rivet.

Thanks

brandon

SC Carts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess i should have mentioned at the beginning of this:

I am a mechanical designer, i do stuff like this for a living day in and day out.

This is a very small scale project compared to what i do for a living.

This was initially designed for my brother, and i figured why not let the rest of the world in on it if they so choose to want one.

I do not have any plans on mass production, i am just allowing my local sled heads access to my product.

I work full time for falcan industries, and do this as a hobby on the side because i can, i build everything for myself if i can.

I have a software program worth around 12,000 that allows me to do full structural analysis, load testing and dynamics. This is designed such that i can make it any size i want with a click of a mouse, it give me a full bom (bill of materials) for every size and model i want to make, and i can reproduce these exactly the same every time.

The pricing i have set currently is based on small scale of 1 or 2 units at a time, if i were to build 10 units i could get costs down easily 20%.

I have full access to state of the art cnc lasers and cnc brakes, i can virtually make anything out of sheet metal.

The way this is designed there is next to no labor in putting this together, it all rivets together. There is no welding at all as of yet.

I have not designed the ramp yet, but when i do it will also all rivet together so if a part gets damaged your just drill and re-rivet.

Thanks

brandon

Thanks for the back ground information, it always helps to know who you are speaking with. Having the correct equipment always makes the project easier, and if you are looking at doing it on a small scale for friends and family and a few locals, should be ok.

I also have the $12K software (Solidworks) and it's the best software on the planet in my opinion however as you are aware, stress/load analysis on a computer is great in a perfect world, but it doesn't take into account a guy going down a bush road with a sled bouncing around with ratchet straps loosening off. That can only be real world tested. Also as you are aware scaling products size with a click of the mouse is very different, then actually making the 20 different sizes of tonneau covers, and ensure that each fits properly.

In regards to no labor, riveting is fairly labor intensive in my opinion, we have found that you can weld something in a jig far faster then you can rivet something together. Also using rivets in shear situations, like on ramp rungs, is not the best application, maybe bolts could be used if welding isn't an option.

It is extremely difficult on a computer to test a customer riding up a ramp at speed not knowing he has a broken skag and catching the bottom rung of the ramp, and that ramp being smashed forward against your loading bar, which is attached to your bed cover, which is attached to 4 ratchet straps. Anyways all I am saying is in the real world things that you don't ever take into consideration happen, so testing the product thoroughly is very important.

With your knowledge and experience I am sure you will figure it out just fine.

ARCTIC FOZZY

Reaction score
Thanks for the concerns, i am very aware of what the does and don't are for the most part of things with deck construction.

The ratchet straps are just one on many ideas i have for securment, i will most likely come up with a much better idea once the first one is complete.

I am also a welder by trade, and the reason i have designed it as rivet together is so it can be shipped to people as a small package and be assembled by them, which is also helping to cut the cost of the unit. I can pre-assemble for the guys that don't have mechanical capabilities or tools to do so.

Thanks

brandon

Top Bottom