Tires for a rig, what to pick

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ran the Goodyear Duratrak MT in teh winter with any luck? Hows the traction on ice? I know a mud tire isnt that great buthe duratraks have the sipe's in the lugs. These would be going on a half ton.

mel.h

Reaction score
Has anyone ran the Goodyear Duratrak MT in teh winter with any luck? Hows the traction on ice? I know a mud tire isnt that great buthe duratraks have the sipe's in the lugs. These would be going on a half ton.

A guy i know out of Dawson Creek has 93,000 kms on his & said if the wear stays the same he will get at least another 20,000, He has them on a Dodge 1500 Mega Cab 4x4.

mel.h

Reaction score
For what size? I was quoted $1450 for 285/70-17's at Integra Tire. Who else sells Hankook's?

Guy i work with has these on his 07 Dodge quad cab Diesel, 60,000 kms & they are at the wear bars. Said he will not get another set.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i'm looking for tires as I need to get some asap. I would like to keep my truck as a 1 ton as it is. So I should be getting Load Range E tires. Not much available in 36 or 37" tires in load range E.

Load range E don't mean much, a D can have a larger weight rating. I think it's toyo mt's in a 35x12.50R20 are only 3200lbs but are a E and that isn't really enough for a 1 ton. While maybe other D's get into 3600-3800lbs.

Personally, I love nitto mud grapplers, a lot are only d's but ran them with my old 3500 right to max without an issue ever. And they are 1000x the tire the toyos are. Just VERY loud. Or, the new trail grappler is really good and a lot of them are e's.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guy i work with has these on his 07 Dodge quad cab Diesel, 60,000 kms & they are at the wear bars. Said he will not get another set.

i run them on my 2000 1 ton dodge service truck and after 20000 klicks i cant even notice the wear!? My power level is far from stock and its heavy. To me the hankooks are the best tires i have run.

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of the BFG TA KO on Sunday for my truck... 285/75/16 E size and am very happy so far, lol. Had a set of BFG Rugged Trails on before that I liked but were getting low.

So far I like them, smooth and quiet, I have high hopes for this coming winter:D

Ohhh just wait till the cords break from rock drilling ,had them on my f-350 . 30,000 k 1/4 worn all 4 nfg dealler to me to bad so sad . the water gets in from the holes the rocks make causes the cords to rust and break resulting in bulges in the middle of the tread area ,one hell of a bouncy ride .

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ran toyo open country m/t 37s last year this year i'm running pro comp xtrains my next will be open countrys ran from calgary to p.e.i twice in the winter lots of crappy weather loved them

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
i ran toyo open country m/t 37s last year this year i'm running pro comp xtrains my next will be open countrys ran from calgary to p.e.i twice in the winter lots of crappy weather loved them

Tried many other tires, and just put another set of the Toyo M/T's on tonight. Still the best tire I have run.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried many other tires, and just put another set of the Toyo M/T's on tonight. Still the best tire I have run.

Feel sorry for you if that's the best tire you've ran.......ran them for about 2 months I would never ever run them again, absolutely a terrible tire and extremely overpriced.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Feel sorry for you if that's the best tire you've ran.......ran them for about 2 months I would never ever run them again, absolutely a terrible tire and extremely overpriced.

Well Cyle, this is about the 7th set for me. I pull a trailer almost every day, run 200-400kms of gravel and trails a day, so for me 80% off road, and 20% hiway. I have tried many other tires and nothing comes close to load rating or wear. 78,000kms on this set, now not all wear so well, I have changed a set in just over 30,000kms as well, but for me, best value and tough as nails. Price isnt bad, we have a great dealer here, I pay less than 400/tire for 35 x 12.5. 17.

As a hiway tire, I agree with you 100%, they are not fabulous, but heck I run them there too, ran 8000kms through the US this summer on them, no complaints. I have another set that I swap, they are Hankooks and WOW very quiet compared to the Toyos.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put 10000k on a set in two weeks alittle loud but no complants even have a vid of them pulling me and a 25' inclosed tailer out of the dich through 4 feet of snow when i dosed off in a frezing rain storm in regina

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

fyi toyo tires are built by the same plant /manufacturer as nitto tires. exactly the same rubber etc. toyo m55 are about the best gravel tire going, i've tried almost every tire out there running survey crews. not much will hold up in the alberta oil roads. as far as i've seen.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in with the Toyo's as well...I run the open country M/T for the summer and the M55 for the winter. Always had good luck with both and all have been run on a 1 ton with lots of towing

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fyi toyo tires are built by the same plant /manufacturer as nitto tires. exactly the same rubber etc. toyo m55 are about the best gravel tire going, i've tried almost every tire out there running survey crews. not much will hold up in the alberta oil roads. as far as i've seen.

Looking at tread pattern i would say the hankook and toyo AT's are built in the same place also.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at tread pattern i would say the hankook and toyo AT's are built in the same place also.

along with dayton tires as well. really thinkin hard about the terra grapplers. price is bnot to bad and haven't heard anybody complaining yet. got qouted 1200 installed for 4 305/60 18s

Top Bottom