Tires for a rig, what to pick

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the Toyo Open Countrys, but I have found the same as others have mentioned, the compound is a bit to hard so it makes them slippery in the winter, but good mileage and wear.

BFG, not a fan. I like Michelins, but they are coslty and a bit more of a passanger tire than a truck tire.

Bridgeston makes great tires, but way over priced.

Hankook makes a decent all around tire and the pricing is better, I would look close at that option.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 07 Ranger came with 31-10.50-15 KO's. They don't even look worn. I just put KO's on my 05 King Ranch about 15000 km ago. I am very happy with the BFG's.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyo mt's seem bad because they are. Ran nitto mud grapplers, terra grapplers, hancook dynapros, cooper discovery SST, bfg rugged trail, etc and the toyo is by far the worst tire i've ever had. Absolutely pathetic in snow, ice and even wet roads. Ya they are quiet for a mt, but that's the only good thing.

I am use to using 2wd in the city in the winter, not possible with the toyos. Not because they are a mt, the nitto's are much more aggressive but the toyos just flat out sucked. Even on a wet road I had to be careful or the truck would come around on corners, doesn't take anything to break them loose.

People who run them in the winter must be in 4wd non stop if there's anything on the road not to notice it.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have 37,000 K on my factory Bridgestone tires on my 08 Chevy and they maybe have 40% left
I might need new ones before winter comes,,,Lots of good info here guys THANKS

mel.h

Reaction score
Anybody have a opinion on the Geolander AT/S... I have heard the that the ones from about 2 years ago sucked, but have also heard they changed the compound of the tire. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy just put Geolanders on his Z-71. He loves them. He does back country fishing and figures he will be using the winch less. He found a website that rates all of the tires that are on the market. I'll see if I can find it.

94fordguy

Anybody have a opinion on the Geolander AT/S... I have heard the that the ones from about 2 years ago sucked, but have also heard they changed the compound of the tire. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I ran a set of those on my '99 Expedition and was VERY impressed how well they held the road in the winter and how nicely they drove year-round. Sold the rig this spring with about 18,000 miles on those tires and they still looked new. I just put a set of BFG KO's on my Super Duty I got to replace it, but I very seriously considered the Geolanders after my good luck with them on the Expedition.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best tire i think for ride and milage is a michelin hands down. but they look like car tires:(. got a couple buddies running good years and really like them. have heard good stuff on the nitto terra all terrains and they are reasonably priced till the end of the month. for 305/60-18's they qouted me 280 per tire. what ever ya do STAY AWAY from cepek fc2's. i got about 40k on mine and they are toast. and the traction isn't that good in the mud and snow either unless you really got them turnin.

Idk my brother got lots of miles on his fc2 with a 500+ rwhp cummins and he drives like a felon. He had load rAnge D.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had no complaints from the set of dc FC2's i had they wore like iron only good for 1 winter though after the edges round they suck on ice, have to put them on in november and they are good for the whole year, they will be the next tire going on my truck. if i dont run studded tires this winter
had the bfg ko's on last winter, they are awesome in the snow and ice but wear really fast with big hp spinning them.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad bought a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM seem to be good in snow and on ice. Payed $1050 installed New.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have them on my dodge 1500 285's great tire. Never hear them on the highway. Good in the dirt, great in the snow. The only issue is the light rear end on the truck in the rain, they spin. I have about 50,000 on them and had i of rotated them about 30,000 i wouldnt have to replace the back ones. Yes my right foot is more of a club. For 175$ i would buy them again

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studded Cooper M+S are the best tires I have ever had for winter. They are a studable winter siped tread and come in 10 ply. On the iciest highway conditions you dont need to use 4X4, even pulling a trailer.:d People that ride with me are amazed how they stick to the road. I have ran 2 sets on my Duramax, and 3 sets on my Z71. I currently have Toyo's on now, I wouldn't even consider running them for travelling back and forth to Revelstoke if I had the choice.

002-2.jpg

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on my second set of Hankook Dynapro ATm's on my work truck. The first set lasted 130k and I had no issues, liked the performance. Last fall when the first set was done I decided to run some Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for the winter, very impressive winter tire.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked at the duratracs by goodyear? I run the mud grapplers and don't play offroad as much as I used to. Going to "downgrade" to them. A friend has them on his 350 and loves them. No road noise and overall nice ride. Kept up through majority of the places the mud grapplers went

aaron_m

Reaction score
I am running an 06, 3500
I have stuck with the old faithful toyo m55's (265/70/17's).
Can usually get 90,000 out of those girls. Which for driving garbage lease roads, isn't bad.

Wanting though to move up to a set of 285/75/17's as long as they won't rub the stock set up.

mel.h

Reaction score
I am running an 06, 3500
I have stuck with the old faithful toyo m55's (265/70/17's).
Can usually get 90,000 out of those girls. Which for driving garbage lease roads, isn't bad.

Wanting though to move up to a set of 285/75/17's as long as they won't rub the stock set up.

Looked at that size, not a lot of good choices in that tire size.
Thanks to all who replied, have made a decision to go with Goodyear Duratrac, talked to a guy that does pretty much the same driving as i do & he has the same truck & has 93,000 kms, said if it was spring, he would probably get the summer out of them yet. And for $280.00, mounted balanced, new valve stem, tire tax & G.S.T. all included, I figured why not.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tires seem funny. My dad currently has 125,000km on stock michelins on his dodge 3500 diesel and he drives it hard. Backs are almost completely bald fronts still pretty decent, if they were rotated probably would hit 150,000km I bet, they have NEVER been rotated and most miles have been pulling 12k trailer, which is insanely good mileage. Last set on his old truck were this bad at 100,000km.

I can't say much for mileage, I never keep tires for long enough to know :p
Got toyo m55's on my current truck they seem like a good medium between a street and mud terrain tire.

aaron_m

Reaction score
I like the toyo m55's as well. But as stated by someone else, crappy choices in sizes. I will be in need of new rubber soon, and would like to move up to the 285/75/17's, but no luck in the m55's.
crap, so now i have to search the web and find some ideas.
damn you toyo

Tires seem funny. My dad currently has 125,000km on stock michelins on his dodge 3500 diesel and he drives it hard. Backs are almost completely bald fronts still pretty decent, if they were rotated probably would hit 150,000km I bet, they have NEVER been rotated and most miles have been pulling 12k trailer, which is insanely good mileage. Last set on his old truck were this bad at 100,000km.

I can't say much for mileage, I never keep tires for long enough to know :p
Got toyo m55's on my current truck they seem like a good medium between a street and mud terrain tire.

Top Bottom