Tires for a rig, what to pick

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
I have pro-comp x-treme a/t on my 08F-350 I have 138489 km on them as I type. I have rotated them and have maintained tire pressures. There not the greatest tire in icy conditions but otherwise I have no complaints. I guess I better get some new tires before the snow flies. I figure there still good for 10000 more km.

Same here, but not 138K, im sitting at 92500 km still some life left but i will swap em out for winter. I do travel 30% gravel maybe more and pull a trailer lots too. Im happy with them for wear, good in mud, good on gravel, fair on ice/snow. truck is a f250

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the toyo m55's as well. But as stated by someone else, crappy choices in sizes. I will be in need of new rubber soon, and would like to move up to the 285/75/17's, but no luck in the m55's.
crap, so now i have to search the web and find some ideas.
damn you toyo

Ya they only come in 3 sizes for a 17" rim. I've got the 235/80 on my dually. They seem like they will do good in the winter. And the load rating is great on them.

jazzman

Reaction score
:cool:I have run the Dick Cepek fun country 2's. I am on my second set, 1st set I got 115000kms on them. Then bought a new truck and have them again. Same as above no hell on the ice but they wear good and not bad on gravel. And rotations and tire press are a big factor. 305 17" on a f-150 and the new ones are 315 18" on a 2010 3500 dodge and they are around 35000 and no complaints. I always pack a quad or sled and rat pack for work both trucks were always loaded.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studded Cooper M+S are the best tires I have ever had for winter. They are a studable winter siped tread and come in 10 ply. On the iciest highway conditions you dont need to use 4X4, even pulling a trailer.:d People that ride with me are amazed how they stick to the road. I have ran 2 sets on my Duramax, and 3 sets on my Z71. I currently have Toyo's on now, I wouldn't even consider running them for travelling back and forth to Revelstoke if I had the choice.

002-2.jpg

I heard studded is banned in BC. Anyone know if this is true? I think I'm going to try a set of these, just need to find a set of 18"rims so I can get thier biggest tire "33 ish". Anyone know of a winter tire that are made in a bigger size?

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I heard studded is banned in BC. Anyone know if this is true? I think I'm going to try a set of these, just need to find a set of 18"rims so I can get thier biggest tire "33 ish". Anyone know of a winter tire that are made in a bigger size?

And this quoted from Travel Alberta...In Alberta there are no provincial regulations requiring the use of either snow tires or chains. These tires are "needed when conditions warrant it." Generally, this implies the routes to ski resorts. While it is legal in Alberta to use snow road technology such as chains and studded tires, these are usually only needed for extreme driving conditions on highways. The Rubber Manufacturers Association follows a standard in making snow tires. Any tire marked, "Snow tires," "Mud and snow," or "M/S" meets the standard.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Studded tires are not allowed in bc in the summer, but are legal in the winter..............as of last year when i checked anyway. You might contact jbb on this site, as he's a tires salesman and will know the 2010-2011 situation for sure............

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running goodyear silent armour in 265/75/16 I believe. So far, they work well. I've only put 10K on them however, and none in the snow, though the internet says they will function quite well in snow and ice, we will see this winter.
All in all, they work quite well, are E rated, and I have yet to find a need for a gnarlier tire.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:cool:I have run the Dick Cepek fun country 2's. I am on my second set, 1st set I got 115000kms on them. Then bought a new truck and have them again. Same as above no hell on the ice but they wear good and not bad on gravel. And rotations and tire press are a big factor. 305 17" on a f-150 and the new ones are 315 18" on a 2010 3500 dodge and they are around 35000 and no complaints. I always pack a quad or sled and rat pack for work both trucks were always loaded.

thats what i had heard from everyone too. good tire good mileage etc. put them on lost about 3mpg, which i was kinda prepared fro as i went form a 285 to a 305 just wasn't prepped for that big of a loss, but the overall mileage on the tires is horrible imo. and they seem quite loud. running them at 40 psi as if you max them the truck rides like chit and i am rarely maxed for load anyways. my cousin had them on his 02 chev and had the same opinion. looking at new ones for winter but not sure what to go with yet. need a 305/60 18 or close to it. cant go any bigger though as not lifted and these just clear right now.

Adrenaline Addiction

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think the studs are overkill, I dont think they do much for the highway speeds. I might not stud this years set either. I think studs can be used in BC Between Oct 1 and Apr 30.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had Blizzaks on my 06 Tacoma and they were like having tire chains on. Can't beat the traction but you smell burning rubber any time you spin them. Don't know how they hold up on big trucks.

aaron_m

Reaction score
Well i decided to go with the Toyo Open country AT's. 285/75/17's.
We will see how they last.
Would have stayed with the toyo m55's, but damnnit, only 3 sizes in 17"ers.

2 of the same storefront tire shops i stopped at. I had purchsed full sets from both in the past 2 years. 1 hr apart. Same fricken tire, one shop was $350 LESS than the other.
Damn

SNAFU

Reaction score
My dad bought a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM seem to be good in snow and on ice. Payed $1050 installed New.

For what size? I was quoted $1450 for 285/70-17's at Integra Tire. Who else sells Hankook's?

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what size? I was quoted $1450 for 285/70-17's at Integra Tire. Who else sells Hankook's?

I think that's what mine went for same size 285/70/17
Great tires, if these ever wear out i'm getting another set!

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Im not sure what the size is, but its the factory size on an 05 cummins. Not sure where he got them either but i think it was integra tire.

doramider7

Reaction score
I had a set of BFG All Terrains on Chev 2500 I just got rid of, they seemed good, lots of km on them and they didnt show much wear. Way better than the GoodYear junk that came on the new F150.

I just bought a set of the BFG TA KO on Sunday for my truck... 285/75/16 E size and am very happy so far, lol. Had a set of BFG Rugged Trails on before that I liked but were getting low.

So far I like them, smooth and quiet, I have high hopes for this coming winter

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Just to let you know, my ProComp Extreme AT's 35" x 12.5 tires finally let me down tonight. I have 142300 km on them, I pulled into the lumber yard and heard air leaking from one back tire. Its coming from the sidewalls. So that is so far the longest set of tires ive ever had. Now I better find a new pair tommorow. :d

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i'm looking for tires as I need to get some asap. I would like to keep my truck as a 1 ton as it is. So I should be getting Load Range E tires. Not much available in 36 or 37" tires in load range E.

That is why I have stuck with the toyo open country MT. They have the highest load rating out there. Just bought another set of 295x70x17

326.00 each

aaron_m

Reaction score
So i'm looking for tires as I need to get some asap. I would like to keep my truck as a 1 ton as it is. So I should be getting Load Range E tires. Not much available in 36 or 37" tires in load range E.

decided on a set of toyo AT's for my 3500.
285/75/17's
$350 each, and by the time taxes and disposal and all the other garbage, looking at $1700.
fyi

Top Bottom