Timeshares.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been through a few spiels now and haven't bought.

Tell us about your experiences. Any advice welcome regarding timeshares.

Cheers

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent some time in Timeshare sales...personally wouldn't buy it. Especially from the developer. You can get resales for a better deal if you're after one. They have their good points, but not as an investment, and depending where you get one the maintenance can be high and gets higher over the years as maintenance increases. A better investment is a quarter share type ownership where you own it versus just lease it. When the timeshare buildings start to depreciate, it starts to cost you money as an owner but it's property you generally don't own depending on the company you purchase from. Many times you can also rent weeks in these same resorts for less than what it costs you to 'own' your vacation.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cheers

U just about did.

For me. Timeshares make no sense.

from my HTC

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cheers

Bought one years ago. RCI 2 weeks red time every year. Home resort was Vidafel Vallarta and we stayed for the second week of that vacation at the sister resort to our newly purchased unit in Mazatlan. Seemed pretty good at first, probably cause we used it. After the first few years though, we were hit with double maintenance fees to cover overhead for repairs ( all in the contract though, not a surprise) then we thought that we'd trade it. Let me tell you! If you think someone who has a condo in Maui is gonna trade you for one in Peurta Vallarta, you are dreamin, or at least we were. Then you could bank the time if you weren't gonna use it FEE. Or you could give it to a friend FEE, or you could rent it out FEE. So whether you used it or not, FEE But enough about the fees. If it was a quartershare in a unit, or something along those lines, you would probably get a title for the property, but since we were owners of 2 weeks time, somewhere in the unit (oh it would have been 2 bdrms and have a nice view etc.) but it isn't a physical deed, more like a concept....very difficult to market a concept when you want to sell it. We even went so far as to list it with an outfit that markets timeshares $$$ when we called them later to inquire if they had anything for sale, that was similar to the one that we had supposedly listed with them, they said nope, nothing available. After quite a long time, we were able to sell this Concept to a used car salesman out of Edmonton, and recoup some of our loot, but we never made a dime, and if I recall, in order to sell it. FEE!!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
1 of my friends has one in Cabo he has 2 weeks "fringe" season fall and spring he pays $700/year condo fee's whether he uses it or not and a $250/week maintenance fee so he is up to $1200 just to use for 2 weeks a year + Flight + food + booze. He is a single guy so for him it is cheaper to go all inclusive and never cook or clean and all the booze he wants. But that's what happens when your young drunk and a pocket full of Ft mac cash.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents had two of them over the years. Both of them disappeared with their money. I'll never touch one!

arcdoo

Reaction score
We have points with rci in meadow lake and we like it and we use it every year ,but the fees suck they charge for everything I dont think you save any money and I think you could rent a nice place for what you pay in fees every year..

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
A friend of mine has one through RCI. We piggy back on his and burn his weeks that will never be used anyway. Works well :) Sat through a no pressure speel on one in Vegas a few years back .... No pressure my A$$. I wouldn't waist the money myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom