Ticketed on RR212

Metala-con

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I was traveling to Ministik via RR212 and blew a belt. Sure as hell the cops pulled up on sleds. Gave me and both of my friends a ticket for driving an off highway vehile on highway without authorization. $230 each. Threatend to call a tow truck if we did not get someone to trailer the sleds immediatly.

I know it is illegal to drive in the ditch in Scona county but I would still like to fight the ticket. Has anyone ever fought and won and what did they base there defence on?

I'm sure we are not the first or last sledders to get this. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should get a ticket for being where you were. boy that area is getting hammered, should of thrown them $10.00 for a coffee & donut.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Hi Guys:

I was traveling to Ministik via RR212 and blew a belt. Sure as hell the cops pulled up on sleds. Gave me and both of my friends a ticket for driving an off highway vehile on highway without authorization. $230 each. Threatend to call a tow truck if we did not get someone to trailer the sleds immediatly.

I know it is illegal to drive in the ditch in Scona county but I would still like to fight the ticket. Has anyone ever fought and won and what did they base there defence on?

I'm sure we are not the first or last sledders to get this. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Seriously...what would you base the defense on...suck it up, pay the fine, learn your lesson.

Sucks to get a ticket, but really? Its like speeding...whenever I do it Im fully prepared to get and pay a ticket...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

you have the right to fight any and every ticket you get. hopefully the copper wont show up, otherwise you can fight it, as it will not cost you anymore, unless you hire a lawyer. you can also ask for more time to pay.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I don't imagine to many Chitwood park rcmp would expect to get the call about someone fighting a ticket in regards to riding a sled. You may have gotten away with it if you were in the ditch but as you stated you were on the road. I think you'd be best off paying the ticket. but in your defence you could plead that the road is a safer place to ride then the ditch with all the plowed driveways and hidden culvert & other sled destroying goodies.

Last edited by a moderator:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I don't know what you'd base the defence on, as Strathcona County does not allow riding in the ditch of a public road allowance. Fighting it maybe on the basis the law is unfair and that why are horses allowed in the ditch but not sleds...? Not a good defence I know, but it will at least make the cops show up to court. You could also take that time to explain to the judge what how unreasonable and confrontational the cops were by threatening to tow the sleds unless you could get a trailer immediately? These guys are way too confrontational and need all the bad press they can get. I don't think any of these things will result in you winning your case, but us sledders have to start fighting back in Dracona County. If I get a ticket, I'll fight it. I know I probably won't win, but it will at least show some resistance to the stupid laws in this County. You may also tell your Councillor about the cops attitude.

CobraCDN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlpaint.ca
Did the police really take a threatening attitude? You know I'd love it to be legal to ride ditches all over the province. But the law is the law, the scene of an offence is not the place to invoke change. And wasting my tax dollars fighting a ticket that you are clearly responsible to pay is nonsence. If things worked that way, they would no longer issue speeding tickets after all the folks that try to beat that wrap. Your beef is with the law makers, not enforcement. Their just doing what they are paid to do. Maybe focus on the county and the province.
Cheers

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about my tax dollars that are wasted on a special enforcement unit just to harass sledders and quadders that wouldn't even be necessary if Dracona County was more reasonable. Fighting the ticket is one way of trying to institute change. It's easy for you to say when you're allowed to ride in the ditches in your County.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
So all you sledders that are complaining, need to organize and start seriously approaching your alderpersons to voice your displeasure about not being able to "ditchbang" like in other counties........ Just my 2 cents ....... And in the meantime, it is illegal to sled in strathcona county, period, unless riding on the fort saskatchewan snow angel's trail system(and you need a trail pass), or on lakes in the county........

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So all you sledders that are complaining, need to organize and start seriously approaching your alderpersons to voice your displeasure about not being able to "ditchbang" like in other counties........ Just my 2 cents ....... And in the meantime, it is illegal to sled in strathcona county, period, unless riding on the fort saskatchewan snow angel's trail system(and you need a trail pass), or on lakes in the county........

Just to clarify.... it is not LEGAL in other counties.... simply permitted....

The laws regarding highway right of ways and easments is a provincial statute under the ALBERTA highway traffic act... unfortunately even if you approach your local official he does not have the power nor influence to change the law... It needs to be argued at a provincial level.

The counties that permit ditch riding will not openly tell you that you can, they will simply tell you that they do not have the juristiction to enforce as it is a provincial matter...

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
How come there is no signage telling you it is illegal? Why are they not educating people before ticket writing? is the info on this readily available?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
How come there is no signage telling you it is illegal? Why are they not educating people before ticket writing? is the info on this readily available?

As readily available as any govenment legislation.....

You know what they say "Ignorance is not a defence"

But I agree that education is necessary however what really should happen is the AHTSA should be changed to allow the use of OHV in any provincial roadway ROW excluding the driving lanes and boulavards. We all pay taxes and as arff would say "I pay for the whole damn road...ditches and all" One would think that this would not be too difficult to make happen given the fact that....

From 2000 to 2006, the number of ATV
sales has increased 125% from 10,400
units to 23,438 units; and

* Alberta’s 23,438 units sold accounted
for 26% of all ATV’s sold in Canada, yet
Alberta accounted for only 10% of the
population.

It's not like OHV useres are in the minority in AB...... Just sayin...

New Bylaw in Lac.Ste.Anne County..

ANY RIDER FOUND GUILTY OF AN
OFFENCE MAY BE REQUIRED TO
ATTEND AN EDUCATIONAL
COURSE APPROVED BY LAC STE.
ANNE COUNTY (BYLAW 37-2008).

Good read....

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/archives/outdoor-pursuits-june-09.html

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

No sign on the hiway saying tinted windows arent allowed, but everyone knows LOL

This has been law for many years, since pavement was invented LOL so education really doesnt factor in, that is YOUR job, not the cops...

Can you imagine if there was a sign for every part of the Traffic Safety Act...wouldnt need to enforce the sledders, there would be no room in the ditches

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
From 2000 to 2006, the number of ATV
sales has increased 125% from 10,400
units to 23,438 units; and

* Alberta’s 23,438 units sold accounted
for 26% of all ATV’s sold in Canada, yet
Alberta accounted for only 10% of the
population.

It's not like OHV useres are in the minority in AB...... Just sayin...

Uhmmm, no matter how you do the math, compared to 4 million people in the province, yes still a minority, and a very small one...More Sudanese in AB than OHV owners...just sayin...

These laws wont be changed...sucks, but true.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Uhmmm, no matter how you do the math, compared to 4 million people in the province, yes still a minority, and a very small one...More Sudanese in AB than OHV owners...just sayin...

These laws wont be changed...sucks, but true.

Only 41 per cent of the province's 2,252,104 eligible voters cast ballots

thats 923,362 voters...... factor in all those who don't own an ATV due to finances, age or current life situation... but still believe in the freedom to do so... those who are employed by or benifit from the ATV industry etc...

Our voice is not as loud as it should be...

2700 calls to edmonton city counsil regarding pot holes got the budget changed and dedicated crews fixing potholes in under a week....

about time we became the squeaky wheel...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

thats 923,362 voters...... factor in all those who don't own an ATV due to finances, age or current life situation... but still believe in the freedom to do so... those who are employed by or benifit from the ATV industry etc...

2700 calls to edmonton city counsil regarding pot holes got the budget changed and dedicated crews fixing potholes in under a week....

Well, get em organized then...

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all, why did they catch you? ;) Just kidding. (MrMorgan and it's affiliates do not condone nor encourage running from the police, and any subsequent beatings sustained are solely the responsibility of the person running)

If you had a broken belt, that's your defence. Go to the adjacent land owners and ask them to sign a letter stating that you had permission to be on their property. You had a mechanical problem and needed to place the sled on the road to allow loading to transport, or it broke down there as you went from private property across to private property.

I have seen commissionaires accept worse excuses. There was a guy I saw argue all day that Millwoods is a sovergn nation and that he is not bound by Canadian laws. I think the commish was so entertained that he let him keep going.

I have also seen the judge go, "I have no reason to doubt this constable, but I find in favour of the defendant." WTF? The cop was right, but I like this guy better, so he gets a break?

If you aren't losing wages, and time is not an issue for you, exercise your right to use the system. The cop will thank you if he gets court on a day off and gets overtime.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

That right there is the best thing I heard all day. Squeak,squeaky

Top Bottom