Thoughts on testing during pregnancy

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a doula.... I take care of expectant moms, help them give birth, then I care for the mom and baby after birth, utilizing holistic remedies and techniques.

What are your thoughts on testing during pregnancy? Testing for the sex of the baby, the tests for genetic defects, down syndrome testing...

I'm seeing more and more of my mom's opting for these tests and I wonder your thoughts.

For me, I've had 4 children. My first was a C section, the other three naturally, but other than the regular tests required, I never did alot of extra tests.

Something else I'm wondering about is complications after an internal ultrasound during pregnancy. Again, for my kids I had the regular ultrasound but never the internal. One of my mom's miscarried shortly after her internal ultrasound. Has anyone else experienced this?

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
We opted out of knowing the sex and birth defects. We knew way too many couples who have had false positives.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let er buck and see what ya get in the end. keeps the excitment in the duration of the pregnancy. kinda like a lottery:p:d:beer:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All three of ours we opted out on knowing anything other than the pregnancy was going good. Regular check ups, ultra sound but we didn't want to know anything else until the day they popped out.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All except one were just the normal. One had many test, none internal. But had ultrasound 1 hour after birth.

If there is any thoughts that there may be issues, do the tests. It is amazing what can be done in the oven and minutes after they are born.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In our day and age, we have the technology - I say use it!

(we left the sex as a surprise ;) )

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt that many doctors would recomend or allow genetic testing unless suspect of a serious problem, as the dangers inheirent to these test are extreamly higher than that risked by ultrasound.My second son was IUGR born at 720 grams, and as such pretty much had every test done under the sun done, I really don't know how his mother took the strain of it all.
It was 13 years ago but I would estimate Ryan had close to 30 ultrasounds, a cordocentises for genetic testing and a couple amniocentieses.
Iam sure since our experiences many procedures have changed and improved but other than the standard scans in which I feel the risks are minimal, there would really be little need for the others.If your at the point there is need for others you typicaly are in a situation where the imeidiate threat outweighs the potential concerns arising from the common procedures.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We let her ride....... Not knowing was the greatest surprise, and proudest moment when we had my little girl first, and the second was my boy....... Awesome!!! Just had the normal ultra-sounds, and both were natural birth.......My wife has an older sister with Down Syndrome, and they recomended tests on our kids only for complication prevention during birth....

P.s., momma, if you're adoula, maybe we should have homeland security investigate you? I suppose kev's real name is mohammed? Lol j/k

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we just had the normal tests done. and the wife didn't want to know the sex, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT she made me go along with her, and i have some training in the medical field, and was easily able to tell just from watching as the ultrasound was happening. best part was telling her i KNEW, but wasn't gonna tell her. never did either. :D:D:D

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just had the usual required tests and both were natural births. we were not allowed to know the sex back then, so had to wait for the doctor to tell us

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had 6 kids collectivly....as in we're a blended family, but all six were just wait and see.....unless there's suspected problems not sure why you would want to, it's not like you can change the out come any way....

Just my opinion.....

What about circumcision? snip or no snip .....

I did a lot of research and after all the reading and discussing with doctors, friends and family.....we decided if we had boys we ....we would use the " if it aint broke, dont fix it " method.

Scored .....Four boys and two girls....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
When people around are having babies i do not want to know the sex of any names you pick ....I like the surprise

I seen too many people shove a foot in their mouth...."Were excited we picked the name ******"....."Why did you pick THAT name i would call him ***** I don't like that name"
.....call me old fashion but I like the surprise

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
we just had the normal tests done. and the wife didn't want to know the sex, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT she made me go along with her, and i have some training in the medical field, and was easily able to tell just from watching as the ultrasound was happening. best part was telling her i KNEW, but wasn't gonna tell her. never did either. :D:D:D

Hey buck, the ultrasound tech told us that the boys have a turtle shell like appearance in their groin area in the ultrasound pics.....is there any truth behind it?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MOMMA!! You and I seem to crossing paths on here alot lately... Can't wait to meet you in person!

So, as it turns out, I also specialize in delivering tiny new miracles. My area specialty is NICU and I work on the Delivery and Transport team. The difference is that I only get to attend the high-risk deliveries, usually a stat page given ten minutes later than it should have been. I don't have the privilege of following my moms thru pregnancy, getting to know them and delivering their miracles in a safe manner. I must say, I envy you very much. In fact just last week I started the process of trying to get credit as a medical practitioner towards my Baccalaureate of Midiwfery. Just waiting to hear what credit my education and experience will garner towards this end...

Anyway, I digress. I have mixed feeling on this topic both as a mother and as a caregiver to these tiny beings... I see alot of things every day that genetic testing could have predicted and better ultrasound techniques might have ruled out. But, I am only seeing one side of the population, so my view is skewed somewhat here... Medical intervention has it's time and place I believe, but it shouldn't be a hard and fast rule.

When I was pregnant with my third, I miscarried at 12 weeks. At 15 weeks, convinced I was still pregnant and going crazy, I asked for an ultrasound and yup! It had been a twin pregnancy and one still remained. Due to my two previous healthy pregnancies and young age, I declined the triple screen and genetic testing. At the 18 week ultrasound, my baby was found to have Bilateral sub-choroid plexus cysts in her brain. This news was not delivered to me until my 24 week check-up. It meant that I had a 1/200 chance that our baby would have either Downs or Edwardian syndrome.

I was offered an amniocentesis to confirm, but the chance of miscarriage from the procedure is also 1/200. AND, the results would simply be FYI-- by the time I got them, no options for terminating the pregnancy or elsewise would be available at my advanced gestation. Now, Downs I could handle but Edwardian Syndrome is incompatible with life... We had a baby born with Edwardian in the nursery at the same time and it was heartbreaking. Had I taken the triple screen when offered, I would have had the benefit of early diagnosis AND the option of terminating. I was an absolute basket case. Subsequent US at 28 weeks revealed resolving cysts, but a baby with crossed feet and pinkie fingers touching thumbs- a cardinal sign of Edwardian. Migraine and despair every single day...

At 32 weeks, she was born after 10 minutes of labour, face up and chin stuck on my pelvic bone. (This child has been a gangbusters since day 1!) She was rushed by my colleagues to NICU, and aside from a very bruised face from being turned before birth, CPAP, and an escalating bilirubin, she was FINE!!

Turns out that sometimes ultrasound is so detailed and done so early now that it picks up minute details that are entirely normal and would not be cause for worry. If the US was done later, then those features would probably not even appear... But if I had had the triple screen genetic testing, I would have had peace of mind much earlier... Dont know what to think about these double edged swords that medical advancements provide!

As for knowing the sex, I have done it both ways: left it a surprise twice and found out on the third. Hands down, the surprise is waAaaay better in the delivery room than finding out at an ultrasound...

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MOMMA!! You and I seem to crossing paths on here alot lately... Can't wait to meet you in person!

So, as it turns out, I also specialize in delivering tiny new miracles. My area specialty is NICU and I work on the Delivery and Transport team. The difference is that I only get to attend the high-risk deliveries, usually a stat page given ten minutes later than it should have been. I don't have the privilege of following my moms thru pregnancy, getting to know them and delivering their miracles in a safe manner. I must say, I envy you very much. In fact just last week I started the process of trying to get credit as a medical practitioner towards my Baccalaureate of Midiwfery. Just waiting to hear what credit my education and experience will garner towards this end...

Anyway, I digress. I have mixed feeling on this topic both as a mother and as a caregiver to these tiny beings... I see alot of things every day that genetic testing could have predicted and better ultrasound techniques might have ruled out. But, I am only seeing one side of the population, so my view is skewed somewhat here... Medical intervention has it's time and place I believe, but it shouldn't be a hard and fast rule.

When I was pregnant with my third, I miscarried at 12 weeks. At 15 weeks, convinced I was still pregnant and going crazy, I asked for an ultrasound and yup! It had been a twin pregnancy and one still remained. Due to my two previous healthy pregnancies and young age, I declined the triple screen and genetic testing. At the 18 week ultrasound, my baby was found to have Bilateral sub-choroid plexus cysts in her brain. This news was not delivered to me until my 24 week check-up. It meant that I had a 1/200 chance that our baby would have either Downs or Edwardian syndrome.

I was offered an amniocentesis to confirm, but the chance of miscarriage from the procedure is also 1/200. AND, the results would simply be FYI-- by the time I got them, no options for terminating the pregnancy or elsewise would be available at my advanced gestation. Now, Downs I could handle but Edwardian Syndrome is incompatible with life... We had a baby born with Edwardian in the nursery at the same time and it was heartbreaking. Had I taken the triple screen when offered, I would have had the benefit of early diagnosis AND the option of terminating. I was an absolute basket case. Subsequent US at 28 weeks revealed resolving cysts, but a baby with crossed feet and pinkie fingers touching thumbs- a cardinal sign of Edwardian. Migraine and despair every single day...

At 32 weeks, she was born after 10 minutes of labour, face up and chin stuck on my pelvic bone. (This child has been a gangbusters since day 1!) She was rushed by my colleagues to NICU, and aside from a very bruised face from being turned before birth, CPAP, and an escalating bilirubin, she was FINE!!

Turns out that sometimes ultrasound is so detailed and done so early now that it picks up minute details that are entirely normal and would not be cause for worry. If the US was done later, then those features would probably not even appear... But if I had had the triple screen genetic testing, I would have had peace of mind much earlier... Dont know what to think about these double edged swords that medical advancements provide!

As for knowing the sex, I have done it both ways: left it a surprise twice and found out on the third. Hands down, the surprise is waAaaay better in the delivery room than finding out at an ultrasound...

wow, about a million goosebumps surfaced when I read your post Sledmamma. I too can't wait to meet you in person. Seems like we do have alot in common. I am thankful to read both perspectives. I am so thankful that your daughter was born healthy. She sounds like a real spitfire!!. (like her mom)
:)

take care!

Trish

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dula's are awesome. Its so nice that someone takes the time to learn then teach scared "soon to be parents" about the upcoming joys and battles of being a parent. It gave comfort for both my wife and I knowing that we had such great help. As for the tests, unless the doctors see a need for it, let it ride!! We found out sex and thats it. Next one's gonna be a surprise. Heres a pic of my little angel watching her "broooom brooom" videos with breakfast. She loves Dave Norona's videos.

Attachments

• Cece.jpg
    Cece.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 94

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a doula.... I take care of expectant moms, help them give birth, then I care for the mom and baby after birth, utilizing holistic remedies and techniques.

What are your thoughts on testing during pregnancy? Testing for the sex of the baby, the tests for genetic defects, down syndrome testing...

I'm seeing more and more of my mom's opting for these tests and I wonder your thoughts.

For me, I've had 4 children. My first was a C section, the other three naturally, but other than the regular tests required, I never did alot of extra tests.

Something else I'm wondering about is complications after an internal ultrasound during pregnancy. Again, for my kids I had the regular ultrasound but never the internal. One of my mom's miscarried shortly after her internal ultrasound. Has anyone else experienced this?

We only had the required tests throughout the pregnacy but those included the risk assessment of Downs and other defects. I did have to have an internal ultrasound for them to check where the placenta was at to determine if I needed a c-section or not. No complications from that. I gave birth to Riley naturally and without any drugs!! :eek:

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I left both babies as a surprise and it was great that way. I have different thoughts on the whole ultra sound thing, My wife works in the hospital as a Lab and Xray tech and works closly with the Ultrasound Tech, My wife does not feel that ultrasounds and all those test hurt the babies, but I feel differantly, of the ladys my wife works with all of them have had troubles getting pregnant, and all but one has had a miscarige, so is that from the hospital or is there just something funky with the water where we live ?? I guess there is no good answer we will just have to wait 10 years and see what happens I guess

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey buck, the ultrasound tech told us that the boys have a turtle shell like appearance in their groin area in the ultrasound pics.....is there any truth behind it?

on 75 cents ultrasound, it was CLEARLY obvious it was a boy!!!!!!!!!!! i will put up the ultrasound pic this weekend

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had 6 kids collectivly....as in we're a blended family, but all six were just wait and see.....unless there's suspected problems not sure why you would want to, it's not like you can change the out come any way....

Just my opinion.....

What about circumcision? snip or no snip .....

I did a lot of research and after all the reading and discussing with doctors, friends and family.....we decided if we had boys we ....we would use the " if it aint broke, dont fix it " method.

Scored .....Four boys and two girls....
75 got circumsized. i personally know 3 people that HAD to get snipped when they were older, 2 12 year olds and a 21 year old. and let me tell you, i've never seen people like that before. they couldn't have ANYTHING touch it without hurting! 3 weeks before they were good to go again. when 75 had it done, that day he was grumping( DUH) and then good after that!!! it's all a personal choice, and i guess i've seen the nastiness that can happen if it's not snipped off. but have lots of other friends that are hooded knights, and no problems either

Top Bottom