The Edmonton Oiler's Official Chat page....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like when talbot has a bad game ... He usually comes back with a dozen great ones right afterwards.

Added Samuelson .. Nice move !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Samuelson will be a career AHL'er at best.

I like when talbot has a bad game as well. It highlights the holes in the defence.

5-2 win tonight. McDavid 3 point night.

dmoorhouse

Reaction score
Great win over Philly tonight. Bunch of lines in on the score sheet and made me $5 richer. Good night!

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He could have used a broken nose.

Lucic needs get engaged. He was supposed to be in great shape but he can't skate more than 20-30 second shifts. He has always been slow but absolutely no energy in his game.

Great to see some of that missing secondary scoring.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drai is becoming one of the best PF in the league... Nice to see...
Lucic is slow but there if they need him ...
In the past they only ever had one guy to protect the team... Now they have a truckload !
They may not win a playoff round ... But the team that beats them ... Are gonna be banged up !
Nurse / Kas /looch/ Marroon/Hendricks/Larson
And now Drai are some mean SOBs ....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow , not sure we deserved this one one ....
But we take it .
On pace for a 100 point season
Does Calgary still have a hockey team ...???

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's nice to have fun and poke at Calgary but they were in this position. Making the playoffs with an over achieving team one year and missing badly the next.

Edmonton hasn't proven nothing yet. McDavid is one player and we know what this team would look like without him.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually the oilers are reasonable deep with out Mcd ...
While he is other worldly, talbot and /Drai / nurse / marroon etc would fit on any team in the league .
While they have not proved anything yet , I like the rapid climb they are completing ....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the problem. Maroon was a 3/4th liner previously. Draisaitl has had 1.5 seasons. Nurse? Well last year was a disaster. This year injured for how many games?

Then RNH, Eberle, Lucic...not performing. Then the abundance of 4th liners, Kassian, Hendricks, letestu(who is having a nice season) and a bunch of AHL players. I don't consider that depth.

And depth in goal? Well Talbot is doing excellent but there is no backup who can be competitive. Imagine if Talbot went down for a few games due to injury.

I am happy to see them in the position they are in but there are still several pieces missing to ale them a contender.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not as many pieces missing as you think.
They are not there yet , but soon!

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow did talbot ever win them the game last night in Chicago. The fellas need to win one for him this year. They hung him out game 1 after their bye.

Also think eberle and nuge need to be traded before the elc's on dri and mcD are up

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not as many pieces missing as you think.
They are not there yet , but soon!

I agree with takethebounce. As a Flames fan I had the exact same perspective as you a couple of years ago thinking that we are only a few pieces away from becoming a good team after an overachieving season and making the playoffs. Oh how wrong I was lol. Although I don't see the Oilers having a huge fall next year like the Flames did after their playoff year, I do think they will be a fringe playoff team next year. That could change though if they are able to bring in a good back up and improve their defense as the Oilers defense is far from turning them into a contending team. They could use 2 top 4 D in my opinion, but one of them could come in the form of Nurse if he can take a big step in his progression. Also they will need the same performance from all the depth forwards (excluding core players like McDavid, Draisaitl) that are having career years, which I am not sure is sustainable except for maybe Maroon can repeat his performance but that is a stretch.

Also as previously said above if McDavid would happen to be injured you guys would struggle for sure but I think they could tough it out for a bit. I think Talbot is a bigger piece to the Oilers success more so than McDavid, without him you guys wouldn't be 3rd in the Pacific. The Oilers have also been out shot/out played in quite a few games where Talbot stole the game. It also helps that the Oilers have had one of the easiest schedules in the league this year. I can provide an article or two if you guys don't agree.

But lots of stars have aligned this year for the Oilers to have success. Do they deserve it? Probably. Is it sustainable for a long period and seasons to come? Probably not, unless they can make some upgrades/changes and progress without hiccups.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's funny .....^^^
The oilers are on a upward trend , the flames are not .
I know it's tough to accept that , but those are facts ....

We have Mcd & Talbot , so saying that with out them we would be a a lesser team is irrelevant.. They are oilers !

Also check out Ethan bear and Caleb Jones , two of the best prospects in the minors ..
Our defence is pretty good and a lot of great prospects in the system !
Finding a hot backup is easy ....

Chia has built a tough rugged team , similar to Boston in its prime .
The forward depth of the oilers compared to the flames is laughable ...
So because the flames , flamed out , that has no bearing on the oilers future .

When you have the best player in the league, finding players to play with him won't be difficult ....

Last edited:

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's funny .....^^^
The oilers are on a upward trend , the flames are not .
I know it's tough to accept that , but those are facts ....

We have Mcd & Talbot , so saying that with out them we would be a a lesser team is irrelevant.. They are oilers !

Also check out Ethan bear and Caleb Jones , two of the best prospects in the minors ..
Our defence is pretty good and a lot of great prospects in the system !
Finding a hot backup is easy ....

Chia has built a tough rugged team , similar to Boston in its prime .
The forward depth of the oilers compared to the flames is laughable ...
So because the flames , flamed out , that has no bearing on the oilers future .

When you have the best player in the league, finding players to play with him won't be difficult ....

So after not making the playoffs since 2006 to this year of being well positioned to make the playoffs all of a sudden they are one of the next best teams because they are "trending up". One good season doesn't make it a trend. Have they improved and are a better team? Absolutely but they got a ways to go. Consistency is key in this league and until they have had multiple successful seasons in a row it means nothing. If you say the Oilers are on a upward trend then so are the Flames. They are playing better than they did last year and have more points in the same number of games and in a playoff position, so I guess both the Oilers and Flames are in a upward trend according to you. The Flames must have been in a upward trend when they made the playoffs a couple of seasons ago after missing it for multiple years in a row before that. The Avalanche must of been in a upward trend when they won their division a few seasons ago after missing the playoffs for multiple seasons before that. See what I am getting at? One season doesn't make a trend and consistency is key. Come talk to me when the Oilers have stringed together multiple playoff seasons in a row. Am I implying the Flames are better? Nope I'm not. We are both teams trying to make that next step in finding consistency that makes a good team to a contending team. Both teams have flaws and need work.

Prospects mean nothing until they are able to perform in the NHL. I could tell you to look up our D prospects Oliver Kylington, Rasmus Andersson, or even Adam Fox or Brandon Hickey as comparables but it means nothing until they prove themselves in the NHL. Good performances in other leagues doesn't always translate to the NHL its a whole different game at the top.

Yupp backups are easy to find but a good one that can sit on a bench for 10 games then come in and perform and steal some wins is not as easy as you think but can be done.

Yes the Oilers are a tough team and a lot tougher than the Flames for sure, we are actually fairly soft unfortunately. On the back end though the Oilers aren't as tough as Boston was.

As for forward depth I would say the Oilers have more high end talent mostly because of McDavid and Flames have no one that could match him, but depth is very comparable in my opinion.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also here is one article talking about the NHL schedule and how its most favorable for the Oilers.

Analyzing the 2016-17 NHL schedule based on tired and rested teams - Puck Drunk Love

Again I will state the Oilers are a much improved team this year. But lets see if they can do it for more than one season with a more normal/tougher schedule. Then I can eat my words that the Oilers are a trending up or up and coming team or contending team, whatever you want to call it. At some point soon they will consistently be a very good team though that is a fact.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oilers probably put the most miles on in a season (&jets) with unfavourably travel schedule.
So the favor able schedule while amusing is really not a factor .
The oilers are turning a corner and as I have stated , are not there yet but are looking at a 100 point season . They have the most points of any Canadian team . The improvement has been monumental over last year ..
While the flames will be extremely lucky to make the playoffs .
My point is to say the oilers are not consistent yet because the flames have banged around at a mediocre pace is irrational.
The two performances are not connected ...lol
The flames have no goaltending , team toughness or depth at forward as well as lack a mean power forward skill set ...
It is possible that the oilers will join the elite level teams soon , and the flames will not . That is all I am saying .

Remember this Mcd is just turned 20! What will he be like in 3 years ??
Seriously, to suggest the teams are equal and the oilers are lucky / have a better schedule/ are not sustainable etc etc ...
Really sounds like sore flames fan ....lol

Honestly in 3 to 5 years who will come closer to winning a cup .... Seriously ?

Top Bottom