The Edmonton Oiler's Official Chat page....

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oilers probably put the most miles on in a season (&jets) with unfavourably travel schedule.
So the favor able schedule while amusing is really not a factor .
The oilers are turning a corner and as I have stated , are not there yet but are looking at a 100 point season . They have the most points of any Canadian team . The improvement has been monumental over last year ..
While the flames will be extremely lucky to make the playoffs .
My point is to say the oilers are not consistent yet because the flames have banged around at a mediocre pace is irrational.
The two performances are not connected ...lol
The flames have no goaltending , team toughness or depth at forward as well as lack a mean power forward skill set ...
It is possible that the oilers will join the elite level teams soon , and the flames will not . That is all I am saying .

Remember this Mcd is just turned 20! What will he be like in 3 years ??
Seriously, to suggest the teams are equal and the oilers are lucky / have a better schedule/ are not sustainable etc etc ...
Really sounds like sore flames fan ....lol

Honestly in 3 to 5 years who will come closer to winning a cup .... Seriously ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like it or not the schedule is a factor. The stats support that teams in the 2nd game of back to back games have a losing record by a large margin. So i doubt you looked at the article if you think its a non factor.

I agree they are turning a corner and points wise are the best Canadian team, there is no debate there. Again one good season does not make a good team.

Look at corsi and other advanced stats and tell me which team has been more lucky, it certainly isn't the Flames. Advanced stats show that the Flames have had poor puck luck and poor goal tending, in every other category they are top half in the league. This isn't me just stating an opinion it is the facts. But yes the Oilers are more successful where it matters most which is the standings.

Not sure what point you are getting at in regards to Oilers not being consistent yet and the Flames being mediocre pace is irrational.

Yes Flames goal tending sucks (which proves why Talbot is so important to your team), team toughness goes to the Oilers, depth forward is really a wash, we do have power forwards too but ours have performed about as well as Lucic has which isn't good.

Yes it is possible that Oilers can become elite and that Flames will not so we can agree on that it is possible. The reality that I see happening is that both the Oilers and Flames can become elite (hopefully), as our division weakens with Anahiem and San Jose eventually fading. There are no guarantees though and like it or not the Oilers and Flames are in the same position in trying to build a team towards consistency and making the playoffs every year.

McDavid will be the best player in the NHL in 3 years that's where he will be. Having the best player wont guarantee success and cups though. Look at the Pens struggles that they had before they finally got that second cup with Crosby.

You are right I am a sore Flames fan, they haven't performed well mostly due to the start of the season. Since game 15 of the season they have made ground and kept pace and managed to work their way into a playoff spot. It has been a very frustrating season though that's for sure.

That last question I cant answer. So much can change in 3 to 5 years and the teams will have completely different players aside from the core players. But I can see it being a toss up honestly. With the salary that McDavid, Draisaitl, and Talbot will command in their next contracts is going to make it really difficult to build a team with good depth because they will be right up against the cap. Only time will tell!

I'm not bashing the Oilers, I am only stating a non Oiler fans perspective. I can admit that my team sucks and that we need improvement and that we have work to do before being set up as a consistent contending team. I can admit that the Oilers are the team getting better results right now. Reality is that they haven't shown enough to definitively say which team is better long term since that's what you seem to be trying to do. I really want to see all Canadian teams doing well and be on the top of the league. Do I still want the Flames to be better than all other Canadian teams? I sure do. So hopefully we can watch both teams have success on a consistent basis in the near future as it is great for the league and the fans! Its less fun when one team is doing way better than the other.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree , the head to head battles are good ....
But after such a chit show in Edmonton , it is nice to see the tables turned for a bit ...
Lord knows we have took our share of ribbing from the flamers for a while ..lol

I do like the battle of Alberta though , when it actually means something !

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree , the head to head battles are good ....
But after such a chit show in Edmonton , it is nice to see the tables turned for a bit ...
Lord knows we have took our share of ribbing from the flamers for a while ..lol

I do like the battle of Alberta though , when it actually means something !

I agree to everything in this post haha. Yeah I know you have even knowing that the Flames haven't exactly accomplished much themselves. Too good to get a high draft pick and not good enough to make the playoffs.

Same, here is to hoping many years of meaningful battle of Alberta games! The games this year were much more intense even knowing it was a sweep. It would be sweet if the Flames make the Playoffs and the two teams go head to head.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree , hope the injury bug is not starting to show it's ugly head...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I can see Chia looking for a top face-off center, real soon, and a good back up goalie.... that's about it. I like that 6'7" boyle that they were just scouting.... I bet they pick him up. he's at almost 60% face-off wins

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like sekara & Larson are not long term...
So that may mean Davidson is gone ....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So there is a chance Edmonton plays the Flamers the first round of the playoff's. Nothing is for sure, Anaheim is still playing good hockey as well, but its a 3 team race for the 2nd spot in the Division with Edmonton, Calgary and Anaheim being separated by two points and Edmonton with a game in hand to be played Saturday (tonight).

Now if it weren't for the Flames efforts and maybe a little less bar hoping by their "stars" they wouldn't even be in the discussion but they are. I am torn, do I want to see the Oilers/Flames have a first round battle? They swept them already this season, but Elliot was a head case and has been decent since the break. Or play Anaheim? Obviously there is a chance the Kings make up the 8 point difference but they would have to basically go 10-2 for their final 12 and finish with 95 points, and Edmonton only win 6 of their remaining games but the same could be said for the Flames to drop below the Kings as well. If Edmonton goes .500 the rest of the season they should still end up in a wildcard spot and play the top team.

There is some tough hockey ahead for both teams. I say lets hope for a battle of Alberta first round. Sure as hell if Calgary takes that series it will be talked about for months but it would make for some exciting hockey that Alberta hasn't seen and especially Edmonton hasn't seen in 10 years and Calgary hasn't done any better than a 2nd round departure one time since 04!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
SO THIS IS THE OFFICIAL SPORTLINE HOCKEY PLAYOFF ASSESSMENT..... WHAT Y'ALL THINK ??

17834786_1181049968688531_8482575250788134271_o.png

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was posted a few days ago. It's based on all 16/17 regular season wins.

Cool idea and there is some correlation to regular seasons success to post season but it's a little hopeful.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They win tonight , they win the series ...
They have the tools .. that's proven . They just have to have the right mindset now .
A big solid win would go a long ways to solidify that...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The last time we saw a playoff game in Edmonton Snow and Mud was just a squirrel in shiny tops imagination.........

Go OIL.... I'm glad we did not draw the Flames first round, be cool to see them get past the ducks but I don't see it, and if they do I fear we could be in trouble..... I suspect we beat the sharks and fall to the ducks in round 2.

I don't think TO will get past Ovenchicken and the Caps but if they do a Leafs vs. Oilers final would be AWESOME..... The leafs fans in Edm. would not know what to do....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow , first night jitters for most of the team ...
Hopefully a lesson learned , I expect them to be better next game & much better away ....
To much hype .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So ,any brave predictions ?
5-2 oil ...
Much better game ..

Top Bottom