SXS in bed of truck?

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions/pictures of how to carry SXS in the box of a truck? Just wondering if I need to beef up the tail gate cables? I had my RZR in my box and it look like my tail gate was going to snap the cables on my 03 Ram 1500.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after wrecking the tailgate of my tundra i had a bar built that goes in my hitch to hold my tires up, works really well, i will post picks when i find them for you

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is my rhino on the way to brule lake this year, with all the tool supplies and parts it was too much for the toyota, so a friend help me build this and works really well.
23bb26e1.jpg

e0fbcf45.jpg

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually weighing it, it adds 50 kg to the front end compared to empty and when packed conventionally on the tailgate i lose about 50 kg on the front end, so it packs a LOT better this way, after looking at it my hitch is bolted back all the way to my rear axle center line, so it must pack the weight more forward,

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen A similar hitch design on UTV Canada and its priced at $899 which is crazy. I might try and make one myself. thanks scoobie!

actually weighing it, it adds 50 kg to the front end compared to empty and when packed conventionally on the tailgate i lose about 50 kg on the front end, so it packs a LOT better this way, after looking at it my hitch is bolted back all the way to my rear axle center line, so it must pack the weight more forward,

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen A similar hitch design on UTV Canada and its priced at $899 which is crazy. I might try and make one myself. thanks scoobie!

hey no prob, glad you like it, it took us 2 trys to get it right, worked best a little higher than the box level and wanted it behind the centerline of the tires so it actually wedges the rhino in, making it very secure, it looks bent but it is cause the tube we used was not straight when we started but i was in a hurry as my tailgate failed right when i was supposed to leave, so i used what was handy, i have roughly 4000km on this set up in 2 long road trips and i like it.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI you are going to be pretty close in not spot on with maxing your payload capacity for your '03 ram 1500.

Myself, I was overloaded hauling my rhino in my '06 1500 4wd hemi with gear and 4 passengers including me. I opted on selling the truck and going bigger because I also pull a travel trailer,

1500+rhino in the back, + travel trailer equals not fun.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI you are going to be pretty close in not spot on with maxing your payload capacity for your '03 ram 1500.

Myself, I was overloaded hauling my rhino in my '06 1500 4wd hemi with gear and 4 passengers including me. I opted on selling the truck and going bigger because I also pull a travel trailer,

1500+rhino in the back, + travel trailer equals not fun.

Thanks for the warning I was thinking of that as well. I mostly tow it on my trailer when going out to the lake lot because I have all our camping gear, Wife, and my 2 duaghters in the truck. But I'm looking for something for when I go hunting. It will just be me in the truck and my father has most of the heavy stuff out at the camper already. it's just that where we going hunting it's really muddy and some there are some steep hills that I just dont tust the trailer in this area. The rzr is 1000 pounds with fluids so if I travel light enough I should be okay.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a small tent trailer, hoping to tow it with my half ton, and pack my rhino with some mods to this bar, so i can take both, the trailer is only 2100 pounds max gvw and has trailer brakes, so it shouldnt be much worse than the photo where i had my rhino loaded with all my spare parts and tools,

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just bought a small tent trailer, hoping to tow it with my half ton, and pack my rhino with some mods to this bar, so i can take both, the trailer is only 2100 pounds max gvw and has trailer brakes, so it shouldnt be much worse than the photo where i had my rhino loaded with all my spare parts and tools,

Air bags will help too, they are fairly cheap

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually rear suspension issues are common in the tundra's so the company ICON makes what they call a rear suspension expansion pack which replaces all but my main leaf and overload leaf, with theirs and i have it on order from "baja north" in kamloops, i hate airbags as they seem to wreck the ride of a vehicle, if i need them i will get them but for now i will try just new springs and shocks

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually rear suspension issues are common in the tundra's so the company ICON makes what they call a rear suspension expansion pack which replaces all but my main leaf and overload leaf, with theirs and i have it on order from "baja north" in kamloops, i hate airbags as they seem to wreck the ride of a vehicle, if i need them i will get them but for now i will try just new springs and shocks

cool man

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am going to be ordering some of my front end parts from Craig here shortly, seems like reasonable prices,.. not 500% markup like other places I have checked out.

Air bags will help too, they are fairly cheap

If you are interested my neighbor has some firestone bags off his '08 1500 that he is selling,.. I think he is asking $175, pretty decent shape.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy just got some camburg coilovers for his f150 and they are sweet they sell sweet products there, i want the camburg front end in my 'yota, but not in the budget just yet

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That bar is a great idea.I just finished wrecking the tailgate on my 08 Silverado from loading the rhino in there.Seems a heavy SxS is too much for some tailgates.Mine delaminated at the top corner seam.I only put my grizz back there and trailer the rhino

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That bar is a great idea.I just finished wrecking the tailgate on my 08 Silverado from loading the rhino in there.Seems a heavy SxS is too much for some tailgates.Mine delaminated at the top corner seam.I only put my grizz back there and trailer the rhino

funny my 'yota tailgate failed exactly the same!

Top Bottom