Summit vs. freeride

slederite

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a used 2012 freeride for a good deal. What I'm wondering is how they compare to the summit. Trails, sidehilling, maneuvability, and how they handle in the light deep powder. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well good luck on side hilling to easy, but great in trail and bumps, ditch banging or meddows. But you will get all different info......My 2 cents

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it would, then maybe in the near future you can add t motion and have one of a kind sled..........

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a used 2012 freeride for a good deal. What I'm wondering is how they compare to the summit. Trails, sidehilling, maneuvability, and how they handle in the light deep powder. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had an 08 xp and a 12 freeride I am 5'8" and not heavey lol,,,, the freeride is very stable, durable and great suspension, but like mentioned above it wants to lay flat more then sidehill the boards are also 1 inch wider on each side so very wide platform, narrowing would help

so all depends on what riding you like,, if you are jumping and dropping a lot then freeride is great.... it seems the flatlanders that get out to the mountains only a few times per year like the FREERIDE... also the adjustable suspension is a nice touch

but the summit will be easier to throw around in the tight stuff for sure no questions asked

now time to decide lol

11K is a great price IMO be hard to find an X 154 for that with same km's

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally have zero issue's sidehilling or any technical lines on my fr. Its all preference I suppose.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally have zero issue's sidehilling or any technical lines on my fr. Its all preference I suppose.

it can defineatley be done but the FREERIDE takes more effort for sure and doesnt like to stay on its side.....

again it can be done but if ya ride sideways on 1 ski most of the day then go with the summit IMO

slederite

Reaction score
it can defineatley be done but the FREERIDE takes more effort for sure and doesnt like to stay on its side.....

again it can be done but if ya ride sideways on 1 ski most of the day then go with the summit IMO
Well I'm switching from a stock Nytro to this so it probably won't be anymore difficult to lay over than that was!

slederite

Reaction score
I had an 08 xp and a 12 freeride I am 5'8" and not heavey lol,,,, the freeride is very stable, durable and great suspension, but like mentioned above it wants to lay flat more then sidehill the boards are also 1 inch wider on each side so very wide platform, narrowing would help

so all depends on what riding you like,, if you are jumping and dropping a lot then freeride is great.... it seems the flatlanders that get out to the mountains only a few times per year like the FREERIDE... also the adjustable suspension is a nice touch

but the summit will be easier to throw around in the tight stuff for sure no questions asked

now time to decide lol

11K is a great price IMO be hard to find an X 154 for that with same km's
Also being a flat lander myself I think the freeride would be awesome around home. I guess my biggest concern is the track. I know on the hcr and the assault they have the stiffer track making it trench a lot more, does the freeride have a similar track or is it the same as the summit.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also being a flat lander myself I think the freeride would be awesome around home. I guess my biggest concern is the track. I know on the hcr and the assault they have the stiffer track making it trench a lot more, does the freeride have a similar track or is it the same as the summit.

same as summit not a trencher IMO

another vid lol got me itchy haha

Snowmobile Fernie BC Mar22 2012 - YouTube

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Same track as summit.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had an 07 Rev with challenger lite track very stiff and edges on paddles,,, that thing was a TRENCHER!!!!

biggest upgrade to 08 and 09 xp is non ported track for sure makes such a big differance

slederite

Reaction score
I had an 07 Rev with challenger lite track very stiff and edges on paddles,,, that thing was a TRENCHER!!!!

biggest upgrade to 08 and 09 xp is non ported track for sure makes such a big differance
The freeride did it out pull that 163 pro?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The freeride did it out pull that 163 pro?

haha thats a whole different thread lol

of course etec has a bit more power but the Pro's are so nimble and easy to handle

the 163 Pro will creep threw deep snow I have only been on a Pro 163 for 45 minutes or so. I do like the sled and I almost switched teams for this year it was a tuff call..... freeride was 154 but have to go 163 in the Pro

but in that video if I had to folllow that rider on the Pro 163 he would of won the man is awesome on a sled and goes anywhere I mean anywhere

slederite

Reaction score
haha thats a whole different thread lol

of course etec has a bit more power but the Pro's are so nimble and easy to handle

the 163 Pro will creep threw deep snow I have only been on a Pro 163 for 45 minutes or so. I do like the sled and I almost switched teams for this year it was a tuff call..... freeride was 154 but have to go 163 in the Pro

but in that video if I had to folllow that rider on the Pro 163 he would of won the man is awesome on a sled and goes anywhere I mean anywhere
Only because he had more track ha ha. Jk.

Top Bottom