Summit Sport 800 P-Tek questions / dealer recommendations

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the winter season approaching, I have decided to purchase a new sled as a backup / kids loaner sled. I've been looking at the 2014 Summit Sport 800R (Power-Tek). I've had a lot of experience with the older Doo 800's (including HO models), but never spent any time on the P-tek, or on the XP chassis. I know everyone will suggest upgrading to the e-tech, but it simply isn't in the cards. For those that have owned this motor, did you find it reliable? Any known issues with it in recent years? If it's been bulletproof (or if you've had a failure), what kind of mileage did you get before failure? What did you like / dislike about the machine? Lastly, can you recommend a good dealer in central Alberta? What makes the recommended dealer better then the others? I've got a great cat and poo dealer now, but my doo dealer folded a few years ago - part of the reason I'm not riding a doo. Thanks for your time.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 10 has been good as far as engine wise.

Trying to get it to handle ect has Been crappy.

Did a few mods to get it where it is.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many top ends tho max ??

Think I should pack the PTO bearings , start to think about doing a cheap topend before its a expensive one. It's got good compresion still.

Think I'm at 2000 miles or 3000 km

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 4200km on my 2009 summit and it still pulled like a train! like all doo's the clutchs need tlc often but other then that they are good! cant wait to be back on one again! As for a dealer no question give T-Team a shout at Martins south side!

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am coming off of my 5 year on my 08 800r ptek with no issues. 3500 km. Stock with a crank recall at 1200km. Very solid sled with some handling gremlins that were pretty much fixed by removing the stabilizer bar mounts and are ancient history for the machine in question. In fact I am considering an upgrade and am really having a hard time with the extra $$ for the XM when this 800 Sport package looks like such a good value. And thats for my one and only ride - for you grabbing a fresh factory warranty sled it seems like a win win. Good luck.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2000 miles on my 08 summit 800 powertek and kaboom wasent to impressed thought it should last longer than that, always ran 94 octane gas and brp synethic oil. So I ended up getting a new shortblock from Brp. Otherwise sled is alot of fun to ride and seems to climb great, sidehilling can be a challenge but the new summit sports come with the S36 handling package so should make it easier!

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sold my 08 and it had 3100 miles on it with top end done last march and ran great but I took care of it while I had it. I think it is a crap shoot as engines go anywhere from 2000kms to 7000kms ( ya I rode with a guy in Golden that had 6954kms on original engine) but he said it was tired and had 3 top ends.... he was replacing it this summer

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So other than the motors history does anyone have any other comments on the rest of the machine overall. I assume most of the early bugs have been long since sorted out with a machine at this level of maturity but if anyone has some commentary on things good or bad I would be interested in hearing that.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2000 miles on my 08 summit 800 powertek and kaboom wasent to impressed thought it should last longer than that, always ran 94 octane gas and brp synethic oil. So I ended up getting a new shortblock from Brp. Otherwise sled is alot of fun to ride and seems to climb great, sidehilling can be a challenge but the new summit sports come with the S36 handling package so should make it easier!

That could of been your problem was the 94 octane. They get the 94 octane bye putting ethanol in it. And you could of got some old gas that had a lot of water in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That could of been your problem was the 94 octane. They get the 94 octane bye putting ethanol in it. And you could of got some old gas that had a lot of water in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pretty sure the higher the octane the less ethanol in the fuel! Correct?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pretty sure the higher the octane the less ethanol in the fuel! Correct?

It could yes. Depending on brand ect.

That's how they get 94 on some brands.

91 with ethanol = 94.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I bought a Sport 800 154. This is my third ptek. I had an 08 and 10 XP 163. I have ridden with many etec sleds. There is no power or reliability difference between the two motors. Add a clutch kit and maybe more compression (depending on where you ride) and you are good to go. The only thing I might change is to go to a 163. I just don't like the 154. Overall, it's hard to beat the value at around $10k vs $14k.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I bought a Sport 800 154. This is my third ptek. I had an 08 and 10 XP 163. I have ridden with many etec sleds. There is no power or reliability difference between the two motors. Add a clutch kit and maybe more compression (depending on where you ride) and you are good to go. The only thing I might change is to go to a 163. I just don't like the 154. Overall, it's hard to beat the value at around $10k vs $14k.

Yes it is a great value but I have to disagree with the ptek being just a reliable as the etec! With my experiance with the 08 summit x the motor went at 2000 miles and my buddys 09 summit x blew at 1400 miles both last year! And now after reading lots and lots and speaking to dealers it seems the ptek had some issues!
Maybe the new pteks are better but Im riding a 2013 800 etec now! we shall see how it lasts! just my 2 cents!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a few p tecs, nice engine to ride. In my opinion they seem to be a 3000-4000 km engine on average. I feel that the sport is a great sled for the price.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a great value but I have to disagree with the ptek being just a reliable as the etec! With my experiance with the 08 summit x the motor went at 2000 miles and my buddys 09 summit x blew at 1400 miles both last year! And now after reading lots and lots and speaking to dealers it seems the ptek had some issues!
Maybe the new pteks are better but Im riding a 2013 800 etec now! we shall see how it lasts! just my 2 cents!

The 2010 and newer ptek have a better crank.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the newer p-tek has the same bottom end, and I believe cylinders than the e-tec.. No?

My 08 had 3000 km before I did the top end. As a common rule, I would freshen up the motor in those intervals, no matter what type of 2 stroke. (except if it's under warranty of course)
Pistons, rings and cylinders looked great.... but so did my 800ho before a skirt let go@ 4000km.

The sport is a great value, and would be my recommendation.

Top Bottom