Summit 1000 vs Arctic Cat 1000 or 900

summit1000

Reaction score
I've been trying to find some information on which has more power, which climbs better, which is faster, which handles better, etc, etc, but can't seem to find anything. So what do you guys think between a Summit 1000 and a 1000cc Arctic Cat, or even the 900cc Arctic Cat?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think m1000 is the best of them all! Lots of power huge torque and on long pulls they just keep gaining speed!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find some information on which has more power, which climbs better, which is faster, which handles better, etc, etc, but can't seem to find anything. So what do you guys think between a Summit 1000 and a 1000cc Arctic Cat, or even the 900cc Arctic Cat?

Gotta ask.....Why? neither of these sleds are in production. What are you looking for specifically? The Summits were in the RT chassis, which was designed for riding out east, not here in the hills, and was simply too heavy. They didn't have a great track record for the motor. The 1000 Cat handles better, the M chassis was one of the better mountain chassis built. Which one goes faster? Couldn't tell you. Climbs and handles better would have to go to the 1000 Cat.

I wouldn't even bother comparing the 900 Cat to either of them. The 1000 Cat motor was simply far superior to it, and both chassis were better.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I owned both an 04 Cat 900 with a 162 and an 05 Summit 1000 with a 162 and did compare them stock to stock. The 900 Cat was in some ways better in the mountians even though it had less hp compared to the Rt1000. But the overall handling of the RT was far better.
Though with certain modifications the RT1000 was hands on a superior sled and actually could easily run with most new iron. My modified 05 was 500lbs and dynoed 187hp and near 220hp with the NOS.
Stock to stock the Cat 1000 is a much better mountian sled over all. But the RT can be made to run with the Cat 1000 and actualy handle better.

The 2005 RT1000 is factory 172hp and 575lbs stock.
The 2004 900 Cat is 165hp and 510lbs stock.

Most of the dudes that will post on here about the RT have never owned one or if they did knew very little on setting them up. So they will comment on something they have no experience with. Or maybe their buddy alittle experience that was not favorable.
The RT was not for everyone.

Last edited:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to run my rt1000 up against a cat 1000, if anyone has one. non electric start 554lb on my original of sale. yes its heavy, but not compaired to a nitro or turbo cat.
as for the motor not being reliable, thats just garbage, turn the oil up! my rt1000 has over 7500 MILES on the motor, yes miles! I know a tech for skidoo in sask, he said everyone had bad luck with the motors out there. I told him to turn the oil up, he looked suprised at this sugession.

this sled is deff not for everyone, but ask anyone that has riden with me how far a stock rt1000 can go.
I just bought another one for $3000 with less than 3000km's. bang for buck works for me ...
today I'll be riding with buddy on a 2014 freeride, interesting comparison eh ...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Lots of peeps with the '05 rt's had problems.... All taken care of with updates, and '06 and '07's were best by far.... Never a problem with my rt for most part..... Very reliable, and they are heavy, but so is the cat. Have gone head to head on pulls several times with the 1000 cat and never been out highmarked by one. I'm a bigger kinda guy, so the weight of the rt doesn't matter much. I could go on and on, but i respect every opinion, and i just gave a small part of mine. The arm pulling torque of the 1000rt is incredible. Have ridden the 900 and 1000 cats, and there's still nothing like the rt1000 for pure torque and arm stretching power ;)

summit1000

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! It was purely curiosity. I have a 2006 Summit 1000 151" track and just wanted to know how it stacked up compared to the Arctic Cat.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Had two different RTs. Always thought the cats were a joke.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock to stock the Cat 1000 is a much better mountian sled over all. But the RT can be made to run with the Cat 1000 and actualy handle better.

go ahead and find a cat and go head to head...... You won't loose :)

Sorry gents, I respect you and all, and maybe on a straight up pull a stock RT might compete well, but I thought we were talking bone stock here and not a mod RT to a stock Cat. :) No RT I have ever ridden, handles in the trees like an M sled without a lot of massaging. I have ridden both. One quite a bit actually....

So If we start hacking parts, adding power, and talking apples to apples.........just sayin'........LOL

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 252

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hmmm, mine is mostly stock with just a can, air pods and clutching..... Stock 162" etc...... At grass drags and snow drags, only another rt could beat mine, and it was modified somewhat, and 1 1000 kitty, with a 95lb female(soaking wet)...... I'm 250ish, so thems the facts, pure and simple, otherwise left a lot of 1000 kitties behind. Jus' sayin'

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a friend with a rt and he had lots of little issues. And man did I hate when he got stuck. That thing was heavier on the back end than my nytro. At the time my brother had a well set up king cat 900 with a 16" wide track installed. Clutching and a pipe. Y pipe combo. That king cat gave the rt a run for its money on any hill. Both sleds were 16" x 162. A 15" wide tracked 1k or 900 cat doesn't have a fair foot print to compare on a straight up climb. One things for sure but That Rotax 1000 had a ton of power.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry gents, I respect you and all, and maybe on a straight up pull a stock RT might compete well, but I thought we were talking bone stock here and not a mod RT to a stock Cat. :) No RT I have ever ridden, handles in the trees like an M sled without a lot of massaging. I have ridden both. One quite a bit actually....

So If we start hacking parts, adding power, and talking apples to apples.........just sayin'........LOL

hoods full of snow? must have just been towed down to the truck LOL

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think both of those rope pushers are why so many guys bought into the fourstrokes...

jus' sayin'...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread makes me laugh ...

bring me some more funnies n stuff eh ...

Top Bottom