Stay out of the caribou closure areas

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:
This past Sun. RSC club directors had to meet with ILMB, they are having pressure put on them by the enviro groups to do more to protect the Mountain Caribou.
They want to see Caribou Basin and Standard Basin closed to snowmobiling. :eek: in exchange for a small area being opened on Frisby.
They told us these are prime Mtn. Caribou habitat areas and that once again snowmobilers are not respecting the closures.
People are riding Caribou Basin during the week, it is only open to ride weekends and statutory holidays in B.C.
Sale is another area of concern, people are ripping down the border closure signs as they ride by them. :mad:
Frisby is also having big problems with riders in closed areas.
Non-compliance reports are done from the air. Tracks in closed areas are marked by GPS. Don`t think there has to be a tkt. written for it to affect us all.
Information is posted at the trailheads, maps are available, it is up to us all to follow the rules for these mtns. to remain open for us all to ride.
This is serious everyone, once again Revelstoke is being used as a pilot program and don`t think these groups won`t get their way, they are large and very well funded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The RSC produces maps, attends snow shows, signs the trailheads and border closures to inform riders about the closures. We pay for RSC volunteers to drive to and patrol the mtns. with closures during the closure periods each season. This is a huge expense and it is all part of the deal to keep these mtns. open for us all to ride.
I hope your as mad as I am, I think it`s time for more peer pressure, and us reporting other riders that don`t think the rules apply to them. Maybe some good ol` azz kicking might help to.
Maybe we need to take pics. and note descriptions and report it to the C.O. here in Revy. I think more tkts. need to be handed out and the fines should be increased. These riders are all giving us all a bad name and we will be the ones punished in the end.

gov. closure map page
Fish and Wildlife - Environment - Province of British Columbia

RSC`s Site (go to caribou info page)
Revelstoke Snowmobile Club - Welcome!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE COME ON PEOPLE HAVE SOME SENSE HERE IT SAYS CLOSED FOR CARIBOU HABBITAT THAT MEANS NO GOING IN THERE WHEN A BUSINESS SAYS CLOSED DO YOU PROCEED TO RIP DOWN THERE SIGN AND TRY AND GAIN ENTRY IN?? NO SO HELP EVERYONE OUT DON'T GO INTO THE CLOSED AREAS SO THAT WE DON'T HAVE ANY MORE AREAS GETTING TAKEN FROM US!!!! EVEN IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THE CARIBOU THING AND BELIEVE ME I'M ONE WHO HATES IT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED A LITTLE TO LATE ESPECIALLY FOR THE CRANBROOK AREA (NO CARIBOU TO BE SEEN AROUND HERE:realmad:) BUT PLEASE SHOW SOME RESPECT AND STAY OUT OF THE CLOSED AREAS THERE IS MILLIONS OF OTHER GOOD SPOTS TO RIDE SO DON'T BE AN A$$ AND STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE CLOSED AREAS

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch!! :realmad: There's already enough closed areas, let's try to keep some space for ourselves!!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is it honestly coming down to it that we need to have babysitters out there to make sure no one goes into closed areas like come on people have some common sense and don't ruin it for everybody else you all know who you are!!!!!

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
.........seems that way, there are areas in B.C. now with caribou habitat that you have to be a card carrying club member and have a permit to legally ride.
Heard that 40% of a herd of 5 caribou were run over on the hwy. 23 N last wk. Sure hope it wasn`t snowmobilers.

Last edited:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode frisby last thursday with wife and going up trail signs do not ride on planted tree area a bunch of riders were up in the area so when one came down i pointed at the sign he gave me the look and turned back up the hill they should plant a ranger in the area and nail these jerks signs mean dick to these people whether it's caribou or boundary signs

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
.........seems that way, there are areas in b.c. Now with caribou habitat that you have to be a card carrying club member and have a permit to legally ride.
Heard that 40% of a herd of 5 caribou were run over on the hwy. 23 n last wk. sure hope it wasn`t snowmobilers.

pray to god it was weigle and some of his crew................ Not that i'd with that on anyone(except maybe him)!!!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
They did a flyover on december 28th and saw some tracks on the mountain we are fighting to keep open, Grace Mountain. I know its a fair way from revy, but it just shows that they are looking. There using a push pull type plane out of revy so if you see it thats what its looking for. Our mountain is one of the members only areas powder puff mentioned, and even though we disagree with it you must comply or you will lose it all.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep - its time for sledders to start self-policing this and report other sledders who choose to ride like this.

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all, Kathy and everyone else in the club who is trying to stop this and keep our areas open........THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Second of all, you jacka**'s who keep riding in posted areas..........get a life. It's pretty hard to miss a bright yellow sign on a hillside of white and green. If you say you can't read it........you could read good enough to sign your bill of sale, I think you should be able to read the signs posted at the trail heads and on the borders of the caribou areas. I know not everyone is doing it but the people who are doing it should pull their heads out of their azzes. When our areas get shut down.......the azzclowns who got the areas closed will be the loudest ones complaining that we lost our areas.

Everyone please use your heads. As said before, we need to start looking out for our own areas. If you see someone in a closed area....say something to someone. Whether its the riders themselves or the club.....say something to someone.

Ride safe everyone.

P.S. And thanks to the idiots who got McCrae closed.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Yes that is MoE doing compliance flights in the noisy push-pull plane. Wish they were on the ground writting tkts.
Compliance Flight AGM 2007 036.jpg

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Time to start taking pics of these jack@sses if you see them on a closed trail etc. and police ourselves as stated. :mad:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I am dealing with the goverment right now from the flyover on the 28th, the only thing helping us is that they have not provided signs for non club members to know that they are in closed areas. an area where they have allowed a corridor to reach a glacier has had people tearing down trail markers, how stupid are some of these people out there. the best thing you can do if you see someone going into or coming out of a closed area is try and get a name or plate number and report it to the club that has management, then they can take that info to the proper people to show they are trying to stop it at the club level. pretty soon we are all going to be crammed into one area and bitching about overcrowded area. its hard enough to keep these areas open lets not help them get closed.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
having the same problem in blue with ppl riding on our closed areas as well, next time i see them go up there im going to report them to the COs and hopfully they wait at the bottom of the trail for them! i dont know how many times ive told him to stay out of there. just dont listen!

Last edited:

spitfire

Reaction score
Those who continue to ignore closures and other posted area's will be the first one's complaining when we all end up riding trails. They are ignorant and extremely selfish. Smarten up you jerks. Don't ruin it for those who do care.

Evil Revo

Reaction score
We should start taking photos of anyone riding in these areas and post them on websites like these.
Also raise the price of a trail pass high enough to have multiple Mountain Cops out there writing tickets! I know its not feasible but man I would like to see it happen.
Hire a chopper to go around and take photos of these boneheads. Or better yet, land and take there sleds away!
It just doesn't make sense why people continue to ride in closed areas.
I know the fresh snow looks tempting but soon we will be playing follow the leader on the trails only!
Frickin wake up you knobs!!:nono::rant:

Top Bottom