Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
This was in our handouts from ILMB.

ILMB handout.jpg

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are guys in Alaska that are plowing trails off road to keep the caribou off the highways because too many are getting killed annualy by cars and trucks.

Sledders are providing a very similar service to the caribou I think, most pics I have seen are caribou on sledder tracks, we are basically creating paths for them to migrate.

This is obviously great for the caribou if this is happening, too bad I don't have any tangible proof of it.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Yes heli-skiing is allowed in areas that are closed to snowmobiling for caribou habitat, but then again the gov. gets a fee from the tenured operators each time a skier uses the area.

i brought this topic up on a phone call last week with the bioligist we are working with and the heli skiers are under a different management which is a different department of goverment. There agreement states they have to fly over at 500m and look for caribou, if none are spotted they can land and ski. if some are spotted they must move on to another area and report the sighting. seems pretty easy for them as they are policing themselves.

zonker892

Reaction score
Wow what a joke this caribou thing has become! Is mike weigle's argument to ban backcountry sledding because of the caribou or because he doesnt like to rescue us?
How about we ban immigrants(weigle) from coming to our country and telling us where we can and cant sled......and making millions of dollars doing it

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Wow what a joke this caribou thing has become! Is mike weigle's argument to ban backcountry sledding because of the caribou or because he doesnt like to rescue us?
How about we ban immigrants(weigle) from coming to our country and telling us where we can and cant sled......and making millions of dollars doing it

i think he is just an idiot. i have heard unconfirmed rumors that he has a c can with sleds in it that he can fly to and let his guests ride in the alpine, probly in closed caribou land. can anyone confirm this.

mcridge

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that one. But you never know.
So it is a case of different stokes for different folks. If I pay enough money to the provincial government, I can ride where I want and when I want..........
I can not honestly see any helicopter turning around at the sight of a caribou. Who's going to stop them. No one is who. Who polices there actions?
It's frustrating. We need a fair system of allocating land for user groups. This is NOT a caribou issue. The provincial government doesn't give one caribou crap about the animals themselves. It's all about dollars and cents.
In my opinion, this issue has so little to do with an endangered species. The caribou have become the perfect out for the heli ski industry.
I for one would love to see this end up in a court of law. How could a decent judge actually see the fairness in this. What charges could actually stick to the sledder who refused to pay his or her fine? Someone please answer this for me. I need to be educated on this.
Any time a heli ski advocate would like to chime in on this thread would be greatly appreciated because we need the other view point.
I WILL NOT sled in caribou closure areas. I never have. But only out of respect for an endangered species.
I WILL HOWEVER make it a point to snowmobile into as many heli ski areas as I possibly can. I do know that I can not be charged with that.
I apoligize, this has become a bit of a rant. Land usage has become a bit of a sore spot for myself.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah this is also my biggest pinched nerve...

scotts was telling me he stopped in blue river and wanted to have lunch at the weigle restraunt on the highway and they saw the sleds on the truck and wouldnt serve him LOL.

in blue river he also charges 2000$ to heli a sled out that is no further than 10km away.

while down the road the other chopper companies charge half that for twice the distance.

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah this is also my biggest pinched nerve...

scotts was telling me he stopped in blue river and wanted to have lunch at the weigle restraunt on the highway and they saw the sleds on the truck and wouldnt serve him LOL.

in blue river he also charges 2000$ to heli a sled out that is no further than 10km away.

while down the road the other chopper companies charge half that for twice the distance.

Maxwell....Weigele does not heli sleds out...so I believe that comment is wrong. We all use yellowhead heli....

joelf

Reaction score
From what I know, Weigle doesn't own any helicopters. He contracts it out to VIH (Vancouver Island Helicopters). They have a base in PG, that's where the machines are in off heli-skiing season. So if you need a rescue, you should contact VIH in PG not Weigle, or keep dealing with Yellowhead in Valemount.

Just like in Revy, you don't call Alpine in Kelowna (CMH) or Mustang in Red Deer (Tangiers), you call Selkirk Mountain or Arrow who are local.

I thought I'd clear that up in case people were wondering.

Helicopters are way worse for the environment than sleds.

Cheers.

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I know, Weigle doesn't own any helicopters. He contracts it out to VIH (Vancouver Island Helicopters). They have a base in PG, that's where the machines are in off heli-skiing season. So if you need a rescue, you should contact VIH in PG not Weigle, or keep dealing with Yellowhead in Valemount.

Just like in Revy, you don't call Alpine in Kelowna (CMH) or Mustang in Red Deer (Tangiers), you call Selkirk Mountain or Arrow who are local.

I thought I'd clear that up in case people were wondering.

Helicopters are way worse for the environment than sleds.

Cheers.

VIH won't do it as they contract for weigele......

mcridge

Reaction score
Wiegle never got back to me. Surprise surprise......
Oh yeah congats to team Canada on a sweet win over the Ruskies!!!!! Plus we just won gol and silver in women's bobsled!!!Congrats!!

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think its so funny how everyone calls MW an idiot and runs him down for being from an other country ect.Have any of you met him, The man is a fricken genius and very shrewd bussiness man.its we sledders who are the idiots,All mike has to do is sit back and watch us cut our own throats.
Sledders consistantly ignore the rules and boundrys set up for other backcountry users.Its only a matter of time till ole mike has the hills all to himself.

Top Bottom