Spartan Race Edmonton

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that would be great, but I am already wrecked and can't afford anymore.......The rest needs to last my life, lol

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we are as long as hubby's work schedule complies... and heard a rumor that thegeneral (Don) is also doing it. This will be our second Spartan Race and looking forward to it!! Our kids are signed up for the kids heat too :)

See ya there !!

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doing the Calgary and possibly Red Deer one. Going first thing in the am with Uniformed Workers group.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister badgered me into registeriung with her, but I won't be making it 'cause I'm still a bit busted up from my sledding accident. Lol, the only way I could find to get out of it was to crash a damned sled.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
um yeah lots of fun! for masochists and fitness nuts and judging from my profile, i am not sure I fit in that catagory, eh Dean?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a few pm's from members on here asking about my experience and tips on training... This is the post I made after last year's race experience:

Originally Posted by zeebs
Has anybody heard from mamma lately? Did she/they make it out the other end of this? Just havent heard a update yet and was looking forward to hearing how it was and how they did.

Sent while not working too hard

Weeeelllll.... The Spartan. (Ran in desert like conditions at 33 degrees 1pm in the afternoon...)

First Obstacle: Fire. No big deal.

Next: run about 3/4 of a kilometer over and under and through tires and walls. Now do 5 consecutive straight vertical 180ft hill attacks up and down with very sketchy footing. (The paramedic stationed at the top is your first clue!) At the top of each, another obstacle and 25 Burpees awaits. Now do more hill attacks. Just when you want to puke and every muscle fibre in your lower limbs is screaming for mercy, pick up 25 pound sandbag and walk off of cliff with it on your shoulders. Now walk back up the cliff and hand off sand bag. Run some more. Scale long horizontal wall and span the distance without using the top of the wall. Fall off. Do 25 Burpees for the 25th time. Water station. Choke on paper cup full of water. Pour half over your head. Praise Allah and run... If you can hear your husband dry heaving in the bushes behind you: Congratulations!! You are 1/3 done :)

Remaining obstacles included (but not limited to) waist deep mud pit, 20 foot vertical wall, dragging cinder blocks tied to ropes, hauling 5 tires up a vertical distance to an overpass, rope net climbing, belly crawl under barbed wire and through mud pit, A-frame wall to mud slide descent, vertical rope wall climb, javelin throw... Oh and more Burpees. The last obstacle: fight two Gladiators with large sticks to reach the finish line and receive medal from a Greek goddess...

The motto for the Spartan race is "You won't know until the finish line" and it is so true. You don't know a) how grueling it will be and b) what you are capable of. When I came off the sand bag obstacle, I seriously wondered if I would be able to finish the race; and then, I thought about my Dad and the obstacles that he faces every day from the minute he gets out of bed and pushed on...

I run about 60 kms a week and did alot of training for this race and I would say that where my training left off is where my training for a race like this should have began. I am often heard remarking that no matter how physically fit I am, nothing ever compares to sledding. This weekend I found something that does!! Still, once we finished we both declares the race AWESOME and considered doing it again. It's crazy!!

At the beginning of the race, a woman saw my t-shirt with my Dad's face on it and introduced herself as the mother of an 8 year old child with Muscular Dystrophy. We had a teary moment before the starting countdown and then we rushed off. It was a really powerful reminder of why I was there and how badly I wanted this. Approximately 4800 people tackled the race this weekend, with proceeds going to Muscular Dystrophy. The firefighters hosed people off for a donation, and used shoes were collected for profit. I am absolutely certain that a tonne of money was raised for people like my Dad. It was a very emotionally and physically rewarding day and sharing it with my husband (it was his first race ever) was the icing on the cake.

I highly recommend the obstacle racing experience: it is a whole new level of intensity and overcoming the challenge is highly addictive. If I had to give advice to others doing an obstacle race:

A) goggles won't help you. Good shoes will. Wear minimal clothing that will stay tight when you are packing 40 extra pounds of heavy mud.

B) those workouts you get every day in an email from Spartan headquarters... Do them!!!

C) Bring water. Eat more fuel the day before

D) Learn to love Burpees.

E) Whether you think you can or think you can't... You are right.

attachment.php

The Calgary Sun website had a great slideshow of photos:

This year I am hoping for a higher place finish ... Also going for a trifecta: which means successfully completing each of the three race distances. I have been a lazy donkey most of the winter so April is dedicated to just building my cardio and speed back up as well as eating clean and eating LOTS!! Once May rolls around I will step it up a notch and do the actual daily Spartan WOD's and add strength training until the first race. In my head it is a solid plan :)

Top Bottom