Some help with directions.

05xc7

Reaction score
Im new here and planning a trip to the cadomin area and brule area. I am having touble putting together the info on where to park/unload the quads for some riding. The plan is to spend 2 days riding cadomin, then possibly 2 riding brule. We will be staying in hinton.
What im looking for is some good gps tracks on where to stage and where the trail heads are. I can run some road form trail to trail if need be if its legal to do so. I just dont want to spend all the time lost looking around for a trail.

Most the directions I find list roads that I cant seem to find on my maps, or names dont line up. Can the area's all be accesed from the town of cadomin? Or better else where?
Any help would be great, and remember I know nothing of the area and will be about 15 hours from home.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
You need to just wing it my friend. There are thousands of Kms of trail in the area. Unload anywhere you want and head for the bush. Search "grave flats" or "ruby falls" on here and giver.

05xc7

Reaction score
I have found lots of reference to ruby falls. It probably going to be the list. We can only carry very limited supplies since we all ride sport quads so I usually like to minimize the chance of getting lost too badly. Hasnt happened yet but ya never know.
Another issues is we will be driving the car (2011 mustang) out with the quads in tow. So decent road acces would be awesome if anyone has some info on the best place to stage

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im new here and planning a trip to the cadomin area and brule area. I am having touble putting together the info on where to park/unload the quads for some riding. The plan is to spend 2 days riding cadomin, then possibly 2 riding brule. We will be staying in hinton.
What im looking for is some good gps tracks on where to stage and where the trail heads are. I can run some road form trail to trail if need be if its legal to do so. I just dont want to spend all the time lost looking around for a trail.

Most the directions I find list roads that I cant seem to find on my maps, or names dont line up. Can the area's all be accesed from the town of cadomin? Or better else where?
Any help would be great, and remember I know nothing of the area and will be about 15 hours from home.

Need to know, GPS Unit?? MapSource Software in/on your Computer???. PM me your e-mail Address.???? I have Garmin GPS Units and most Garmin Canadian MapSource Software, as well as all of the ibycus Topo Canada mapping stuff and v 2 of the Backroad GPS Maps.

Bruce.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to just wing it my friend. There are thousands of Kms of trail in the area. Unload anywhere you want and head for the bush. Search "grave flats" or "ruby falls" on here and giver.

haha, the guy is coming from manitoba, i'm sure he won't get lost now.

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the roads are dry you can do a day trip to Cardinal river headwaters trail which has a staging area just off the main road just south of the Cardial divide, which is also well worth seeing. there is another trail head called the Toma trail little shorter and you can't drive to the box canyon as the forestry guys are sometimes waiting for you. Stick to the marked trail and you should be ok. Stop in at Edson provincial building they have a bunch of FLUZ maps with all the trails etc, (Forestry Land Use Zones) Well worth getting.

05xc7

Reaction score
Can a guy ride from one trail head to the other around there? Or is it all on road that your not allowed to ride?

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is alot of riding out here, but not necessarily for sport quads. Not saying you cant get around, just be prepared to work your azz off. We regularily drag a sport quad or two around ( and I mean that literally) The brule dunes are an area you will enjoy, but it will get boring quick IMO.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toma Trail and the cardinal river trail you should be able to get through but bring a winch for sure as it can get a little wet. there is a trail that goes from hinton to Gregg cabin but I have never been on it but it is recommended. We went to Cardinal River last year and the water was high, hopefully it is a little lower for you. Toma does have a river crossing and that may be an issue for you. We are heading for South Esk and Ruby Falls trail this weekend and I will report back what we see.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the rivers are all very high over here right now! I mean HIGH!!!! and the trails are super wet and muddy. and the weather isnt looking good at all. we ahd a couple days of sunshine in the forecast yesterday but today they all turned into rainy and cloudy days... my suggestion is to NOT go over the divide with a mustang pulling quads.... and I would suggest just unloading in cadomin or I dunno.... Its friggen wet out here. been raining for a few a couple weeks basically and no signs of it stopping soon. even the forestry trunk road is just brutal

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
the rivers are all very high over here right now! I mean HIGH!!!! and the trails are super wet and muddy. and the weather isnt looking good at all. we ahd a couple days of sunshine in the forecast yesterday but today they all turned into rainy and cloudy days... my suggestion is to NOT go over the divide with a mustang pulling quads.... and I would suggest just unloading in cadomin or I dunno.... Its friggen wet out here. been raining for a few a couple weeks basically and no signs of it stopping soon. even the forestry trunk road is just brutal
Not getting much use out of the white oakleys?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are have one full out 4x4 mud machine a grizz and a foreman are we going to be ok for this weekend at Southesk and Ruby?? We are not using a Mustang to pull our rides as they dont pull 22 foot trailers very well. Is going out there no going to be worth it or what?

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like it was said, lots of water and the roads are muddy and slippery. Even if you had a 4wd mustang it might be a bit of a challenge getting down there. And they are calling for rain all weekend. I was in cadomin today and there is lots of water, Greg river is really high, and I heard of 4 guys getting 4 trucks stuck in the bush and walking out. Just saying, be prepared to get wet and muddy. Good times.

05xc7

Reaction score
Im going to play this by ear for a bit. If things dont dry up in general we will have to change the plan a bit. Too wet and its just a pain getting the car places, and then soaked all day. I dont expect any real issues getting around other than deep water crossings, we ride IRS outlaws, clearance is never an issue, and we are no strangers to mud and water but I do know the limit of the quads. Just about anywhere a dirt bike will go is usually no issue and soft ground works out much better on the quad. Being flat landers we are used to mud, swamp tight trails all that junk. But the mountains will add a new element to it all.
I will keep checking in as we get closer to the end of next month for weather forcast, and conditions.

Top Bottom