So lets summarize the big 4.....

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Well all the secrets are out so I would like to take this time to summarize the new iron and get opinions, I know the doo laid is super thick out there so lets try to be constructive instead of name bashing idiots shall we. First off Ski-doo coodos to you this year for delivering a pretty awesome stock sled, every improvement does in my opinion put you at the top of the pile, seems like they have listened to us mountain boys a little more than the rest. The downfall, why on earth would you put a 6 tooth driver on such a wicked sled? I will have to ride one to see the level of vibration and how tight that track is gonna have to be kept, other than that I think the sled is ugly but it may grow on me over some time and if its a great sled I will just put a paper bag over it. Second, Polaris, the axy is a nice improvement over the pro and I think the best handling technical sled of them all, they had to go with a big track to keep their position in the quest to kill the doo and good on them for it. i am surprised that they have not made the needed changes for the failing parts they have become known for i.e. front end a arms etc. One of the nicest looking sleds and for you people that think it won't turn that 174 track you are talking outta your ass, keep your mouth shut if the only thing that comes out is stupid. Third Yamaha, Finally a turbo, sounds like it will be underpowered from what we all want and would purchase, 180 hp is not enough for a sled that is made narrower to loose the heavy feel. They did some awesome stuff with the technology and I think it will be a tuner box away from being where we want in that 220 hp range. I like their clutches and the sleds look great but why they didn't make it interesting and go with a mountain version with a factory 3.2 174 with a drop and roll, I would have ran to the dealer for my snow check even with the lower horse power. Fourth, Arctic Cat, my favourite sleds in the past has dropped the ball this year and will have slow sales because of it, yes a drop and roll is cool but there is not enough difference to lay the big money down on a 17 when the 16's will be blown out next year for thousand less. The engine is awesome and I think that they are being smart not releasing the new engine yet as they are not able to keep them together yet so smart on there warranty department, they still could have thrown a big track under it with the drop and roll and salvaged something but I guess the next year will be there big year, everyone needs a turn. All of this is my opinion so please without bashing like a bunch of little bitches what do you boys think?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the one thing that got my attention with all of them was with the new doo. finally someone is trying to locate the engine centered in the chassis. they are so close.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like you have done the heavy lifting. The new doo is ugly? Gee I dunno about that. Just a little plastic surgery and weight training to my eye...

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the OP: good summary, and I couldn't agree more. It remains to be seen how any of them will perform on the snow, but I expect all will work a bit better than their predecessors. Personally, I will be following ride reports on the Sidewinder MTX, as Cat has left me with the choice of buying a HC and long tracking it (not cost effective), or looking for a holdover in fall once programs come out. I expect that Evolution Powersports will have a tune, a bigger turbo, or both for the Sidewinder motor by years end, and I've not been disappointed with their product yet. The M9000 / 1100T was / is a good sled that responds very well to modifications, I am seriously considering another one to add to my stable in the fall... Very disappointed the SXV450 snowbike wasn't released for sale / ride reports as that was an option I was seriously considering. Although we would all like to see new tech and sizzle every model year, it sure isn't practical from a business standpoint, so sometimes we have to deal with new paint and stickers for the most part, and chassis refinements.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Yamaha really missed the boat as well. That new engine with the drop and roll and narrow chassis and a 174 would be awesome. I think the 17 cat will be a sleeper but boring compared to doo and poo. The new doo will be very impressive for a stocker and the 174 axys with a little boost will be a riot. Oh to be a revy sled bum and a lotto max winner and have all 4 to ride every day.....

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great write up Paul.

Skidoo came out with some amazing technology. They will be the sled to beat! But I also think they are funny looking. I would love to ride one and see how they handle now. Wish they would get rid of the T motion, its so unstable.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well all the secrets are out so I would like to take this time to summarize the new iron and get opinions, I know the doo laid is super thick out there so lets try to be constructive instead of name bashing idiots shall we. First off Ski-doo coodos to you this year for delivering a pretty awesome stock sled, every improvement does in my opinion put you at the top of the pile, seems like they have listened to us mountain boys a little more than the rest. The downfall, why on earth would you put a 6 tooth driver on such a wicked sled? I will have to ride one to see the level of vibration and how tight that track is gonna have to be kept, other than that I think the sled is ugly but it may grow on me over some time and if its a great sled I will just put a paper bag over it. Second, Polaris, the axy is a nice improvement over the pro and I think the best handling technical sled of them all, they had to go with a big track to keep their position in the quest to kill the doo and good on them for it. i am surprised that they have not made the needed changes for the failing parts they have become known for i.e. front end a arms etc. One of the nicest looking sleds and for you people that think it won't turn that 174 track you are talking outta your ass, keep your mouth shut if the only thing that comes out is stupid. Third Yamaha, Finally a turbo, sounds like it will be underpowered from what we all want and would purchase, 180 hp is not enough for a sled that is made narrower to loose the heavy feel. They did some awesome stuff with the technology and I think it will be a tuner box away from being where we want in that 220 hp range. I like their clutches and the sleds look great but why they didn't make it interesting and go with a mountain version with a factory 3.2 174 with a drop and roll, I would have ran to the dealer for my snow check even with the lower horse power. Fourth, Arctic Cat, my favourite sleds in the past has dropped the ball this year and will have slow sales because of it, yes a drop and roll is cool but there is not enough difference to lay the big money down on a 17 when the 16's will be blown out next year for thousand less. The engine is awesome and I think that they are being smart not releasing the new engine yet as they are not able to keep them together yet so smart on there warranty department, they still could have thrown a big track under it with the drop and roll and salvaged something but I guess the next year will be there big year, everyone needs a turn. All of this is my opinion so please without bashing like a bunch of little bitches what do you boys think?

You need to google what a paragraph is. That's the biggest block of words I've ever seen lol.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Yamaha really missed the boat as well. That new engine with the drop and roll and narrow chassis and a 174 would be awesome. I think the 17 cat will be a sleeper but boring compared to doo and poo. The new doo will be very impressive for a stocker and the 174 axys with a little boost will be a riot. Oh to be a revy sled bum and a lotto max winner and have all 4 to ride every day.....
I think Yamaha is entering the waters with caution, but it won't need a 174 if it gets a "lil extra" boost. Track speed is incredible on a boosted 4S, and personally, I don't see the need for a longer sneaker on my boosted M1100T. Same for the drop and roll - I went with 7 tooth AVID's and geared the sled UP to maintain a 2.4:1 final drive ratio, and only half of the track is ever on the ground when the flipper is pressed, even with a coupled skid. Only time the D&R may be of benefit is in the trees, which really isn't the 4S's forte anyway, at least not for my old carcass. It'll work, but you'll be working too.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well im going to chime in with brand bashing rite now !!!

Shame on you skidoo ... now evry idiot on a rental sled can go places they have no business being ... haha!

I, ve been pushing my newbie buddies who are in the market for a new sled to buy skidoo since the xm first came out as its such a sweet sled strait out of the crate, and now a 850 !!! I, m impressed with skidoo liistening to us mtn riders.

Yamaha is headed in the rite direction but as usual they seem a few years behind the industry leaders.

It used to be said mtn machines are only 30% of total sled sales, but its such a growth market with more and more people making trips to the mtns. Also the amount of mtn sleds in show rooms and running around in sask says alot.

The price of artic cats snowbike will be the thread of the year on S&M ...

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo did a great job and I don't even need to ride it to know that. It appears it may be turbo friendly too with the 4 injectors already designed in. Still might be a little heavy for me though. I don't even like the extra weight that the AXYS carries on their chaincase models.
I rode a 16 Cat and it still feels fat and I don't expect the 17 will be much better. Yamaha, although I am always impressed with their engineering, don't belong in the mountains, or at least when there are trees near by.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man... decisions decisions... all new 600 voyageur? Tundra extreme? Even the new bearcat looks pretty good. VK540 is back and in orange paint too...

:rain:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most of the new sleds are pretty wicked! To the OP the doo 6 tooth drivers are because of the 3.5" pitch track. So the OD of the drivers won't much different. I really think cat needed to set it up but there snow bike is pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo nailed it for next year.
Polaris had it nailed this year.
I am certain Cat will nail top sled next year at the release.
Depending on the flavor of your ride Yamaha is always lurking around.

Exciting times I say and the sled wars are on full steam ahead from year to year.
Just like the old (and new) pony car wars we consumers are dam lucky!

I'm sorry but sleds are so good about 90% of peps on the hill can not fully put a sled where it has the ability to take them.
But I am good with BRP's overkill.

Last edited:

Machomachoman

Reaction score
I think most of the new sleds are pretty wicked! To the OP the doo 6 tooth drivers are because of the 3.5" pitch track. So the OD of the drivers won't much different. I really think cat needed to set it up but there snow bike is pretty cool.

couldn't agree more. Where do you go from here? Although i did see a prototype bombardier TWO track sled scheduled for 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

couldn't agree more. Where do you go from here? Although i did see a prototype bombardier TWO track sled scheduled for 2018

bombardierB12.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come everyone is saying the new doo is turbo friendly? Do you really think your going to be able to gain access to control those second injectors? Not a chance. I guess you will be able to take them out and use the holes for your aftermarket ones but that's about it. Yes the engine is built much better for it I suppose but still going to need secondary fueling

Last edited:
Top Bottom