Skidoo 850 Stator Ingestion

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even the supplied skid plate hardware BARELY grabs the backing washers only a matter of time before someone sucks one of those in, on the skid plate instructions no where does it say "warning catastrophic engine failure may result"

they cant seriously expect that within the 4 year warranty period people aren't going to have a rivet head or backing washer floating around in there? give me a break
Yep happened to me, on a 2017 or 2019, one of them.... little belly pan rivet washer got sucked in there. Made a lot of racket......If I remember dealer repaired it under warrenty.

bcjeepr

Reaction score
Have the Pull-starts finally been fixed after 20+ years of BRP , failures ? Maybe the Mag problem will take as long .

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and if that said foreign piece of material (besides a rivet and maybe an electrical clip, stripped wire housing, a small screw, washer, whatever) happened to be from a dealer service job? They have left themselves and the dealer open to a customer satisfaction mess.
Regardless of the parts needing to go back to BRP, who says it wasn’t a rivet or stray object from the factory that made its way in there. Stator was still fawked,

If they stiff “The Maxwell” imagine how the peasants are treated.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Ron’s issue also when carving left? Maybe he has something small in there fawking with power to his fuel pump.
Usually when carving but we have noticed more to the right or just coincidence. But with new fuel pump one ride so far and seemed good

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the fix to prevent this?

Screen?

Mount a strong magnet strategically to intercept debris?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually think that’s a really good idea, just not sure if it would mess with anything else but if you put it right on the bottom should be fine?
I am thinking it should be fine, will look at it when I get my sled back from the hospital.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen various items go thru the stator & clutches(not only G4's), you have to be anal if you choose to work on your sled making sure everything is accounted for under the cab. That is tools, rivets, exhaust springs etc. even the killer aftermarket engine support braces have broken & gone thru the clutches.

If work on your sled that is the risk you take, I don't know why individual feel others should take responsibility for the problem they created. It is the Canadian way it is always someone else fault, if you caused it own it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen various items go thru the stator & clutches(not only G4's), you have to be anal if you choose to work on your sled making sure everything is accounted for under the cab. That is tools, rivets, exhaust springs etc. even the killer aftermarket engine support braces have broken & gone thru the clutches.

If work on your sled that is the risk you take, I don't know why individual feel others should take responsibility for the problem they created. It is the Canadian way it is always someone else fault, if you caused it own it.

your not serious? Clutches I get, hey something goes in there its obvious the owner messed up somehow. But a stator should not be accessible to foreign objects plain and simple. No matter how anal you are about working on stuff something can still get in there and that's a design flaw. A screen, relocation of the vent, a vent hose, so many ways around it to avoid this issue. How about even a warning sticker on the recoil saying the stator is open? Because unless you've had one of these engines out you would have NO idea. The manufacturer is putting the dealer and customer in an awkward spot with this stator setup and that's not fair to either of them. 20k for a machine with 4 year warranty and a 10mm washer can do 2800$ in damage? Not ok

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have the Pull-starts finally been fixed after 20+ years of BRP , failures ? Maybe the Mag problem will take as long .

is there a problem with them? If you put a can on there certainly is. But in stock form i haven't had an issue ever. Let the cogs engage first before pulling and they will go for 5000k

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Mods……. Is this a cruel joke..??!!

Did someone hack Maxxy’s account?

no, i still stand by the BRP product its the best on the snow but they need to know that good customers are frustrated with their "warranty program". Leaving customers on the hook for a design flaw is a sure way to leave a sour taste in your mouth.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell. Litigation. Lol

LOL its not even my snowmobile. I was dropping this machine off for a good friend and dealing with it since he is out of town. I fully expected this to be warranty. I mean, you pay 20k for a machine, buy the extended warranty, and when the sled quits and blows up the shot capacitor you would instantly say to yourself " well that's why i buy new with warranty" In this case its not worth the paper its written on. I will be tracking down some warranty documents and looking into this further. When you go out of your way to support a product and they turn around and say pound sand its rather frustrating.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL its not even my snowmobile. I was dropping this machine off for a good friend and dealing with it since he is out of town. I fully expected this to be warranty. I mean, you pay 20k for a machine, buy the extended warranty, and when the sled quits and blows up the shot capacitor you would instantly say to yourself " well that's why i buy new with warranty" In this case its not worth the paper its written on. I will be tracking down some warranty documents and looking into this further. When you go out of your way to support a product and they turn around and say pound sand its rather frustrating.
I agree. It’s definitely a design failure. It would be a pretty easy fix as well to solve

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frog skin/screen door it all shut with the wife’s glue gun for next time….lol
It only needs to vent moisture out and some cooling right?

yep, ill have to look and see if its even accessible but something needs to be done and BRP is obviously going to make us take care of it ourselves. Last thing i want to be is 100 miles in the backcountry and suck something in.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good 'ol warranty fine print. even vehicle warranty has a longer list of what isn't covered vs what is, lol. hope they pull through.

Top Bottom