Ski Bushings

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have these things go bad? I was riding on Sunday and noticed my left ski was wobbling like a sob so I tipped the sled on it's side and found the bushing were shot. Yesterday I bought all the parts to fix it and discovered that the bushing were both gone and the center bushing was in terrible shape. I can see them getting worn but totally gone???

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Very common....... I always have an extra set at home...... They last a while, but doo wear out...... Be sure you don't overtighten the pivot bolt, or they will break and wear out quicker.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll need to get couple more sets of these bad boys. Thanks for the info Summitric

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
no problem........ I think the torque on the bolts/nuts are about 23 ft/lbs??? can't remember off the top, but it's not much....... find the spec and torque them properly.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might have to loosen it up, I did tighten it pretty snug and I don't have a torque wrench.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spray some PB Blaster on it and let it set for a while, then smack it with a hammer. Chances are that long bushing inside the spindle is probably shot like mine was and both my inner and outer bushings were gone. Make sure you buy a new bolt, nut, and all 3 bushings.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a thread on doo talk about this exact thing. drill a hole and tap a grease zerk into the bushing, problem solved.............................. as long as you actually grease it anyways.:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is the best way. i do that on all the xps aswell.

as for the bushings make sure he pin didnt damage the spindle itself or even new bushings wont solve your problem

Doohotshot

Reaction score
When I got my O6 Summit, the skis bushings were non existent they were so worn. The bolt was fused to all the spacers and what was left of any bushing. After some angle grinding and prying I had the ski off and was ready to replace with new hardware. The new bushings were loose in the leg it was that worn out. A couple beers later I figured I needed a shim of sorts...my fix...my empty beer cans. Cut the ends off and rolled it up over the bushing to make a shim. It's tight in there now, full of grease and they have stayed tight all season(2000k) so far. I have also installed a grease nipple on the leg.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And they say beer isn't good for you! There you just proved the teatotalers wrong!!:d:beer::beer::beer:

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Maxwell. It is a pipe thread that you use for zerts right?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to find stainless zerks but are non existant. I still can't budge my bolt!!

Loosen the nut all the way to the end of the bolt(so the bolt doesn't mushroom), brace the spindle nothing bends and bash the chit out of the bolt with a ball peen until it comes loose. Failing that, cut the bolt in between the spindle and the ski, remove the ski and tap out the bolt.

tmgulewi

Reaction score
Anybody know ofa place to buy these spare parts? The Doo dealers want way too much for these Aluminumspacers and bushings. I know there was a guy in Revy who sold them but I didn'tgrab his shop name.
Cheers,

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a thread on doo talk about this exact thing. drill a hole and tap a grease zerk into the bushing, problem solved.............................. as long as you actually grease it anyways.:d

I can see how the grease nipple will stop the bushing from seizing to the aluminum... But how does the grease get to the other side of the bushing??? Id be more concerned about the bolt getting seized in (had to cut bolt twice to get out last time)... I've thought about this mod, but it only covers half of the issue... Unless u somehow drill a small hole in your long bushing to let the grease travel to the inside, I dont see how much better this mod is compared to just checking them normally and using anitseize???

Enlighten me....

Top Bottom