Simmons Skis

johnfoth

Reaction score
Hi, I recently put the Simmons skis onto my Apex and was working beautifully to start. However, after the first 500 miles, the skis have been darting uncontrollably. Also, our trails have gone from snow to hard packed ice with an inch of snow on top. I have a half inch toe out on the skis, and wondering how to resolve this issue.
Any help is appreciated, thanks

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hi, I recently put the Simmons skis onto my Apex and was working beautifully to start. However, after the first 500 miles, the skis have been darting uncontrollably. Also, our trails have gone from snow to hard packed ice with an inch of snow on top. I have a half inch toe out on the skis, and wondering how to resolve this issue.
Any help is appreciated, thanks

I WOULD RECOMEND 1/8" TOE OUT, BUT BE SURE TO DOO THIS WITH A LITE BUNGEE CORD CONNECTING THE HOOPS OF THE SKIS TOGETHER TO GIVE YOU A PROPER READING....... SHOULD WORK OKAY. ARE THE CARBIDES WORN OUT??:confused:

tanner

Reaction score
I have simmons on my sled too and i find the same problems. I think it is the ski design. I have had the dealer set the skis 2 times and it never made any differance. They are good in the powder and not worth a sh!t on hard pack so i think..

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have simmons on my sled too and i find the same problems. I think it is the ski design. I have had the dealer set the skis 2 times and it never made any differance. They are good in the powder and not worth a sh!t on hard pack so i think..

Hey guys.. I've set up quite a few sets of simmons.. Because of the dual carbide set-up you acxtually need to set them up parrallel, NO toe in or out.. The truer that you get them the better.. If they are toed in or out they will dart around on hard pack... Hope that helps out....

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put my skis on those roller things for moving on the shop floor, to set the toe. I use a light bungee between the front of the skis to take out the play. Of course, I use a long straightedge against the track, after I make sure the track is aligned. With the skis on rollers there is no drag on the floor. Works good for me.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I set my skiis perfectly parallel and they do not dart. On hard pack, the only thing i dont like about them is how hard it is to turn, they like to go straight, but they were not designed for hardpack.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simmons includes a little diagram with their skies, showing a toe-out set-up. I've had mine toed out for two years and have had no handling issues on either hard pack or the powder..... :)

Hey guys.. I've set up quite a few sets of simmons.. Because of the dual carbide set-up you acxtually need to set them up parrallel, NO toe in or out.. The truer that you get them the better.. If they are toed in or out they will dart around on hard pack... Hope that helps out....

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I set my skiis perfectly parallel and they do not dart. On hard pack, the only thing i dont like about them is how hard it is to turn, they like to go straight, but they were not designed for hardpack.

My feelings exactly. I don't notice any darting, but these skis are real aggressive on hardpack.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yah with how the cat front end is designed they will be harder to turn on hard pack because the ski's tip so much side to side when you turn..

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simmons includes a little diagram with their skies, showing a toe-out set-up. I've had mine toed out for two years and have had no handling issues on either hard pack or the powder..... :)

i have installed many sets of simmons and have never seen that little diagram. Not sure where that came from.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure where you purchased your skis from, but mine came in a box with the installation/set-up instructions. Somebody is not giving you everything they ought too...

I thought I had recycled this piece of paper, see the attached simmon's instructions. These are from a couple of years ago, but should still apply.

If you're having problems turning;

1) 1st realize there is a design difference between what you're putting on and what you've taken off. The simmons skis sit flatter than your stock skis may have, this changes their feeling and sled handling. I noticed the difference on the new xp 800 as soon as the changes were made in the garage (turning was harded (flatter set, double carbides, more carbide on the floor, and for what its worth, the pivot point moved outard by a couple of inches when pulling it over).

2) Toe-out of the skis enhances your abilty to turn.

3) Becuase of the design difference & double carbides, you have to adjust the front, middle and back suspension (If all the weight is on your front shocks you will have a tough time turning on hard pack). Transfer more weight to the center and back. Secondly, you may need to lengthen your limiter strap.

The attached file will require a 180 deg. rotation when you open it..... (hmmm, its hard to get good help) sorry for my error everyone....

i have installed many sets of simmons and have never seen that little diagram. Not sure where that came from.

Attachments

• simmons0004.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 96

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh yah.. So that what on the othewr half of the paper thats stuck to the ski's.. it even syas in there to try and set-up dead even.. A hslight toe-out if you want to compensate for wore front end parts..

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a sharp looking sled... what are the spec's....

that is a sled that we built for one of our cust this year.. It's '07 M1000 with boondocker turbo system and lots of light weight parts.. It weighs 475lbs dry and should be making about 280hp and 210ft/lbs torque now at 10lbs boost.. Can be turned up to 17lbs boost to.. A buddy of mine found out that you cant run an M8 at 22lbs boost, more scattered under hood...LOL... He was at some drag races going against a 1515triple on nos.. Had him till the motor went boom, but shouldn't have had it a t22lbs..

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It gives you options. I've set mine up with a 1/4" toe-out. If you want to set your's straight,.... that's cool. :D

oh yah.. So that what on the othewr half of the paper thats stuck to the ski's.. it even syas in there to try and set-up dead even.. A hslight toe-out if you want to compensate for wore front end parts..

Top Bottom