shooting at sledders in strathcona ??

Brucrew

Reaction score
I was watching the news tonight and heard that someone was shot at this weakend by a land owner does anyone know what really happened ?:confused:

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not surprised as when I drive around I have seen no trespassing and sled tracks right beside it!:nono:

Please stay out of these areas or we will all suffer!!!!!!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought it said Taber??

they caught up with the guy that was shot at in Taber, he was there for work. The shooting happened approximately 1 mile north of the Ft Sask Trails. All parties involved have been charged. The sledders for not having insurance/registration, and the land owner has a bunch of firearms charges against him.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here's the full story... go see it on global news
or
Here is a video link it may only work for a while.

If not see it here..
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/edmonton/index.html#

its half way down see the video link..

This was out in Fort Saskatchewan. One of the riders had to work in Taber today..

Shots were fired at 3 snowmobilers on Sunday afternoon by RR213 Twp 544. The shooter was charged as well as the sledders.. This brings up some serious land owner issues. This is less than a km from our trail system.

RON

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shooting

Well it was bound to happen. The ASA office (louise) and Pat the ASA president has been in contact with a local landowner around the 213 range road. Dont know if this is the landowner but during his conversations he mentioned that he wanted to put out barbewire to catch the sledders and even thought of posts painted white to catch sledders. This guy has contacted the county by-law guys and even the councilor. This landowner that Pat talked to mentioned he was going to start shooting at the sledders I guess something should have been said to the RCMP but when do you know if it will ever happen. So if this is the landowner or not it just goes to show how some landowners do care when sledders tresspass on their land. This year was the year that we had the most issues ever with off trail riders,noisy exhaust and County By-law issues. Now what do we do:confused: . We have many users enjoying the trail system and contribute to its well being and we have the users that just use it and dont appreciate it and dont follow the rules. These riders were from the city with no licience plates or insurance riding around or on our trail system. Dont know where they started from but my guess would be our trail staging system. These riders have caused another time unnecessary negative attention to the trail system and snowmobiling in Stratchona County. Remember the last time we had a landowner issue in the county not good news. Now what the media will feed off this and it all depends on which way they want to put the spin on it will it be positive or negative. For one time it would be nice to be able to get a good image from this sudden interest but I dought it. We have around 90 landowners we deal with and really havent had any problems with where the trail is. BUT we have more issues on riders not riding on the trail so adjacent landowners are a concern. We have meet with some landowners and have dealt with their issues the best we can and about all we can do is help them out with some extra signage to tell the sledders to keep out. Well thats it NOW WHAT will our trail system survive this issue or will it mean the end. Time will tell

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Glad The Sledders Were Charged Too

THE SLEDDERS WERE CHARGED WITH NO INSURANCE/REGISTRATION, GLOBAL TV SAID LAST NITE. ALSO THEY WERE SHOWING THE "SNOW ANGELS" TRAIL MAP LAST NITE...... WHERE DID THEY GET THAT??? IT WAS OUR UNOFFICIAL/OFFICIAL TRAIL MAP(OBVIOUSLY NOT UPDATED), AND THESE GUYS THOUGHT THEY WERE ON AN OFFICIAL TRAIL THAT HAD NO MARKERS(THEY WERE FOLLOWING OTHER SLED TRAILS IN THE SNOW AND FIGURED THIS WAS STILL PART OF "OUR" TRAIL SYSTEM). WTF
GOOD TO SEE THEY WERE CHARGED, AND THEY SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH TRESPASSING TOO. BUT, STILL, TO BE SHOT AT??? THIS FARMER BELONGS IN THE LOONIE BIN...........
JUST MY 2 CENTS:twocents:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can we shoot back?? joking. I do agree with the sledders being charged but someone should tell these farmers that its the ol' west and their not cattle rustlin!!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
shooter

Well not much action on this thread I was hoping for more input. Global was making the rounds looking for interviews so possibly will be more info soon.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
No insurance/registration..... Thats one thing ! But shooting at,near,above or whatever intended toward other persons,Here is a individual that is not firing on all cylinders ! (Possibily one needs to know all the facts)

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had some people ask me why these guys weren’t also charged with trespassing. Of course I don't know, does anyone know why they were not charged with trespassing? I thought under the new petty trespass act they would have been.

DRS

Reaction score
Can someone get charged for no insurance or registration when on private land. They may have not had permission, but I believe these charges should not apply. Trespassing I could understand.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes you can, unless its your land, or you have permission from the person who owns the land. The person who fired at them could still press charges for trespassing should he desire.

Can someone get charged for no insurance or registration when on private land. They may have not had permission, but I believe these charges should not apply. Trespassing I could understand.

Brucrew

Reaction score
This topic has been bugging me all day. I am not a member of any club. Almost everyone I ride with are nonmembers, I've lived and rode in the Bruderheim area for the last 15 years. I don't use marked trails only crossing them on occasion going about my way. I respect NO TRESPASSING signs and have never came across or had any problem with a land owner. I don't have a problem with clubs or marked trail systems I just find the cost of having three sleds registered is to costly. I pay my pass when I go on rally's, my sleds are all registered and insured. I believe most farmers are OK with the odd sled going through as long as your not cutting fences or scaring livestock. What really bugs me is that someone can take a shot at someone on a snowmobile because he doesnt like trespassers. If say he would have killed someone you have to look at the big picture "family without husband or dad" this is way too serious to joke about or wave off as just another incident. My God there are tools out there (phones, Police, Fines and signs).Makes me wounder if this sport is really worth all the hassle.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother was actually the first one to report on this story in the Sherwood Park News, from living out in strathcona i cant beleive this actually happened. I want to put in my 0.02 and say that I ride out at Ministik a lot as one of my friends has a lot of land that borders the south side of the reserve, people are always cutting across their fields and it pisses me off, unfortunately we were unable to get some of the crops off last year and now that they are all knocked over from sleds running over them the crop is lost. If there looks to be some type of fence, even if falling over, b/c some of our fence is in the swamp land, stay off the property. We have riden up to people opening the gate into the property as they were trying to follow our tracks, dont open other peoples gates especially when you can see the cows on the other side of the fence, I would have no problem grabbing a shot gun and blowing one off into the air to make them realize they were coming on to private land, I would never shoot right at anyone though.

Top Bottom