SGI says I have to buy extra insurance to tow anything?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As pr title I got into a nice little conversation with sgi when I went and renewed
my truck plates.They say my truck and trailer combined weight can't exceed 5,000kg or I have to purchase EXTRA insurance."if i do not pay the rcmp or dot can weigh me and if i'm over the 5000kg the fines are very big"
My truck is insured with sgi,my trailer is insured with sgi, but I can't connect the two together without paying more? F*@* **
Anyone else more than just a little pissed about this crap?
PS: I also just love the question about "will you be using this vehicle to travel to alberta for work" Like how is where I go any of your concern?
Only in a government ran company would you have to answer questions before you are allowed to be a customer.
Rant over for the moment...............

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yah this sounds about right for icbc. Not sure on personal vehicles but my company trucks are based on gvw, the more I pack the more I pay. This also goes for where you are...I work out of my town and I need to reinsurer.
They have more rules then you can shake a stick at.
the rules like any vehicle over 5000kg needs to stop at scales but yet they tell me don't stop? I add a trailer and now I need to stop.
log books, no log books, stop, don't stop, increase gvws? I'm lost and yet when I ask how to insure the broker has no idea them self.
our government has it worked out to a t. You need to buy but yet we don't need to pay out. You just pay us.
great system for sure.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume your truck has a commercial plate? If so, the rules may apply. I think there is an exemption if it is a recreational vehicle (within limits)

oldrzr

Reaction score
We have a plumbing sheet metal company here in Alberta and one of my guys gets stopped by the provincial people and he was asked where are your tare wights ,etc. Truck is registered for over 5000 kg and gets a fine. We had to take everyone of the trucks [18 in total] and get them weighed and signed. Cost a small fortune and now we are suppose to stop at the scales. Bunch of bs as all it does it costs the customer more money as it takes the guys more time. we just try to avoid the scales as much as possible.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give Shaun a call at this number 306.781.2263 he is at Harvard western insurance in my local town. Very knowledgable. Will be able to give you way more information then I think anyone on here.

As you are in Lloyd, you might also try Excel Insurance who are in town.

You might want to look at this link that suggests there are probably exceptions for RV towing.

As with all insurance - government or private - there are no shortage of rules. A good broker will know how they apply to your situation :)

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the same thing here in BC. My 3/4 ton standard insurance doesn't cover hauling my camper, need to upgrade the insurance for a higher gvw, which the truck is rated for to begin with. Why not just charge the rate for max gvw to start with then there is no confusion?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told the same thing here in BC. My 3/4 ton standard insurance doesn't cover hauling my camper, need to upgrade the insurance for a higher gvw, which the truck is rated for to begin with. Why not just charge the rate for max gvw to start with then there is no confusion?

I imagine it's Because of the "I want the cheapest possible and only look at cost " mentality that most display at the time of purchase.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Did you also know that you have to put collision on your trailers, enclosed etc because they are not covered by the truck insurance if you get in an accident? Your truck will only cover if you are at fault, the damages to their vehicle but not your trailer, furthermore the sleds or anything in the trailer is not covered by the truck or trailer insurance, they need their own collision as well. I learned this all when I hit a moose some years ago, did 17 k damage to the truck and wrote off my buddies trailer worth 25 k and luckily he had collision on it. A friend I knew rolled his truck and trailer with 4 sleds in it and had no coverage for anything other than the truck. It is cheap to put collision on a trailer, like $150 a year if I remember correctly.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I hear yah, as of 2011 the Ford F350 are rated as 5160 gvw or something like that so Im forced into a diffrent rate class (over 5000kg), if owed by a company. I have to have a nsc (national safety code) number and be in compliance with the commercial vehicle rules.
Its a pick up for Christ sakes!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear yah, as of 2011 the Ford F350 are rated as 5160 gvw or something like that so Im forced into a diffrent rate class (over 5000kg), if owed by a company. I have to have a nsc (national safety code) number and be in compliance with the commercial vehicle rules.
Its a pick up for Christ sakes!

Take a closer look into that, in Alberta we can register a vehicle at a weight lower than its rated capacity. For example some of our F350 work trucks are registered at 4499kg, (we are a federally regulated carrier and require log books over 4500kg). They are used as pickups that won't see over that GVW.

Obviously this is registration and may not apply to your insurance but it's worth a shot, register it at 4999kg and stay in the lower rate class.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a closer look into that, in Alberta we can register a vehicle at a weight lower than its rated capacity. For example some of our F350 work trucks are registered at 4499kg, (we are a federally regulated carrier and require log books over 4500kg). They are used as pickups that won't see over that GVW.

Obviously this is registration and may not apply to your insurance but it's worth a shot, register it at 4999kg and stay in the lower rate class.

Icbc tells me they need to use to vehicles regestered gvws, but we can insure for more gvws but being a company you s%#t outa luck.
seems like every agency tells me a different story...maybe time for another visit.
thanks.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The commercial transport used to have lots of fun with their portables scales 20 years back. They used to weigh all the trucks with sled decks and issue tons of fines. That all ended when someone took it to court and they ran into a cranky judge who owned a truck and camper and towed a heavy boat. He told them in no uncertain terms they were commercial and not private. After that case no mone more trucks were being stopped by these retards. However if you are involved in an accident I would imagine the fine tooth comb comes out.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple years ago ICBC agent asks me if I carry anything on my truck. Sure I do....IT'S A TRUCK! She says I need extra insurance if I want to be covered for the capacity plate gvw of my truck. Not MORE weight, but pay extra money for what my truck is designed by the manufacturer to carry. My truck is a 1995. They're gonna give me like 1500 bucks for it if I crash it. I say thank you for saving me money. She looks at me with a puzzled look. I say cancel my collision. Pink slip only. If you're not gonna cover me for carrying my camper that doesn't put me over mfgrs GVW without raping me for more money, I don't need your coverage. Man I was pizzed!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you also know that you have to put collision on your trailers, enclosed etc because they are not covered by the truck insurance if you get in an accident? Your truck will only cover if you are at fault, the damages to their vehicle but not your trailer, furthermore the sleds or anything in the trailer is not covered by the truck or trailer insurance, they need their own collision as well. I learned this all when I hit a moose some years ago, did 17 k damage to the truck and wrote off my buddies trailer worth 25 k and luckily he had collision on it. A friend I knew rolled his truck and trailer with 4 sleds in it and had no coverage for anything other than the truck. It is cheap to put collision on a trailer, like $150 a year if I remember correctly.
In Alberta we have to insure everything, No expectation that everything (or anything) is insured unless we see it on a policy

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what catman 10 said is what i was told by my insurance company in feb when i called and asked them questions. so you need insurance on truck,trailer and sleds.only thing i never thought to ask at the time was what if enclosed trailer has collision insurance but is being pulled by not the owner,will the insurance company cover trailer if a accident should happen or is there a loop hole that insurance company will use so they dont have to do a pay out. has anybody been through this to know for sure?

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
That is exactly what happened to me, pulled my buddies enclosed trailer with my truck and 4 sleds in it. The trailer was written off and covered by its own policy, I think he paid the deductible and collected the money no issues.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what catman 10 said is what i was told by my insurance company in feb when i called and asked them questions. so you need insurance on truck,trailer and sleds.only thing i never thought to ask at the time was what if enclosed trailer has collision insurance but is being pulled by not the owner,will the insurance company cover trailer if a accident should happen or is there a loop hole that insurance company will use so they dont have to do a pay out. has anybody been through this to know for sure?

The physical damage insurance collision) purchased for the trailer covers the trailer whether it is being towed by the owner or someone else unless you rented it to that person (which could cause problems). Not sure why you would want a claim on your policy though

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skip the brokers...call SGI direct on their customer service line. Only way you get a solid answer is from the horses mouth. Very few knowledgable brokers out there and its difficult to blame them...insurance is a complex thing with a multitude of loopholes.

Top Bottom