Serial Numbers on sled tunnels ....

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K I'm kinda concerned and actually just realized this.... Went to get my sled registration renewed, lady punched in the serial number and said this sled does not exist ??? I said wth ... Hmmm she said you need to double check serial number so tun back home to garage and go to look on my 09 dragon to double check serial number, which on the Polaris is on right hand side on tunnel, ohhhh **** ya I put a CR tunnel on my sled last year and there is no serial number anymore on sled.... Chit now what, so dig through 4 yrs of paperwork find the original bill of sale and Lordy bee one number was missing when I originally registered it... Hmmm how can that happen ,,, anyways long story short got it figured out.

My question to fellow sledders is this..... When we change out tunnels on our sleds and the sled gets stolen how can they prove it's yours with no serial on the tunnel anymore from the factory... ??? Or we get stopped at a check stop and they ask for registration and they try to confirm on sled that it matches and there is now serial number on it anymore what can happen ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384479515.855571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384479515.855571.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know someone who ran into this issue too.... The ended up wrecking the tunnel and he needed a new one..... Since they ordered a new tunnel they forgot to tell factory to re- stamp vin into replacement tunnel... Now wherever he goes he has to have a little chunk of his old tunnel with the VIN# on his person to prove that the sled is legit.... Some insurance company's have rules stating they have to see the vin on the Vehicle... So this may be an issue for some people.... But really you can go to any engraving place and spend a few bucks to re VIN your sled...

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm k .... Thinking this could prove to be an issue if anything happens this season

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when we installed a new tunnel on a sled it had to have a very thorough inspection from alberta registries. they came out and checked the engine matched etcetc then rivetted on a NEW serial#. i have heard of people cutting the old one out and doing it that way but in this case we sold the tunnel with existing serial # because nothing was wrong with it. i think the inspection was almost 500$ but i cant remember

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when we installed a new tunnel on a sled it had to have a very thorough inspection from alberta registries. they came out and checked the engine matched etcetc then rivetted on a NEW serial#. i have heard of people cutting the old one out and doing it that way but in this case we sold the tunnel with existing serial # because nothing was wrong with it. i think the inspection was almost 500$ but i cant remember

Correct. they can issue a new serial number. If you phone the RCMP they will hook you up. You need the engine serial number and they will ask you a bunch of questions to verify that you owned the sled previously.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes 500 bucks when u change or custom build a sled going thru it right now you cannot cut out and rerivet the piece on to the new tunnel. They will assign a new number to it.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I were to steal your sled im going to remove the vin asap so I wouldnt worry about that side of. Heck Id put a cr tunnel on it my self and register it as a "other" snowmobile.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in reading these responses the right thing to do is get a new serial number then and put it on the sled.... Getting the original engraved on the new tunnel is not an option then ???

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I damaged my tunnel the shop just stamped the serial number from the original onto the new one. No problem.

Last edited:

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's 2 ways to do it 1) the legally correct non-tampering method $500 c/w red tape or 2) the other method of just stamping the original number or cut/rivet the original VIN stamp onto the new tunnel. Technically #2 is against the law but I know what I would do if it were my sled that was previously registered in the system and all I did was swap the tunnel out. But yeah strictly speaking tampering with the OEM vin stamp is illegal.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My tunnel was replaced by the previous owner by the dealer. They cut out the serial number off the original and welded it to the new tunnel.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I damaged my tunnel the shop just stamped the serial number from the original onto the new one. No problem.

ive tried using those metal stamps for other things. i cant see how that would work good or look good lol? especially now with the painted tunnels i wouldnt want to be stamping into them.
i guess if you took your time a stamped vin might turn out ok

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in reading these responses the right thing to do is get a new serial number then and put it on the sled.... Getting the original engraved on the new tunnel is not an option then ???

Go to registries office get the form call the number and they will tell u cannot transfer the number a new one MUST be issued to keep it legal.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Know what I have to do now . Thinking I'm the only guy who didn't think about this when I swapped out the tunnel, dumbass lol

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went all through this with my 1960 fiberglass dune buggy. The car was registered and insured when I bought it, it was registered as a "modified 1960 dune buggy" with serial number on the original frame which was shortened to fit the fiberglass body. I fabricated a new frame and swapped the rear suspension from a swing axle to and IRS set up. All the "factory parts" were gone. I took number stamps and stampeded the Vin on my frame. The stamping look pretty much identical as the factory stamps. If you are re stamping make sure you re stamp in the same location, this is darn near as important as the Vin it's self. If they go to look for it and it's not there that's a HUGE red flag. Chances are if the Vin is where it is supposed to be and is the same number they will probably not even notice.
Not saying this is the legal way but if you have nothing to hide (the vehicle isn't stolen or anything) I don't think they are going to bother us.
I still have my original frame (that is rusted to pieces) at home here just in case.....

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ ya was definitely thinking of doing that know exactly were Polaris puts them on the factory tunnels ... But you did not hear that from me .... Lol

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you couldn't just use a stamp set on the side of the tunnel as it sits, you need to have a drift or backing bar (anvil) behind to get a good imprint of the stamp, or she'll just bounce off.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you couldn't just use a stamp set on the side of the tunnel as it sits, you need to have a drift or backing bar (anvil) behind to get a good imprint of the stamp, or she'll just bounce off.

Thanks for the tip !!!!!

Top Bottom