seized motor summit 700

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sled has new motor, 1200km on it, 5300 km on entire sled. Its a 2002 summit 700. went out ripping yesterday and today. temperature is -25. was taking it easy because its cold out. sled sputtered then stalled from about half throttle. i took out the plugs, they were a quite light colour. turned the motor over by hand, everything seemed smooth. let it sit and slowy pulled it over and it seemed fine so i fired it back up. let it idle for 10 minutes, seemed fine so i gently started driving back home. Throttle got stuck open and i had to kill it and then pump the lever and it went back to normal. kept driving. about 1 mile later engine quit again. i instantly tried to pull the motor over to see if it was seized, it was not. pulled the plugs and they have a grey tinge to them and are not oily at all. let the motor cool off and she is seized, not solid but damn fricken tight. and it smelled like burning terribly.

my first question is how much oil should there be in the oil tank. i mean it was fairly low, about an inch and a half in the bottom but the oil light was not on, and the oil level was still barely above the minimum mark. (that was my fault should have filled it up)

second, is it possible a peice of ice got in the carb and screwed it up? the foamy thing was off the top of the air box. cuz i have NEVER had a problem with the throttle getting stuck open, and it just so happens it did right after it quit the first time.

any suggestions would be great.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your plugs were grey I would say it was lean.

ice in carbs could do it, crank seal leaking etc.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any Oil in the belly? Could have droped out an oil feed , just happened to a friends. 800

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be very careful riding when it is that cold. You can get a lean burn down real easy because the air is so dense (contains lots of O2)

pull the head off and take a look at the pistons and cylinders. Yo may be lucky and it might just be a case of rejetting a little richer.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was no oil or anything in the belly. It's had the same jetting since new and this hasn't been the coldest weather it's seen but still something to consider..

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My carb heaters weren't on.. Possibly some ice build up due to condensation inside them then leaned it out..... Going to take er apart in the next few days and check

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a reason why sleds run better when its cold out,.. up until the point where the engine just stops.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so are you gonna fix it or just sell machine as is if you dont want to fix it i am looking for a couples blown sleds for sale

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a reason why sleds run better when its cold out,.. up until the point where the engine just stops.

The thing is it wasn't running REALLY well. Just wasn't running quite the way I though it should, probably cuz the carb warmers weren't on when they should have been. No it's not for sale I'll be fixing it here soon.

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
I have never seen a sled go lean if the carbs are icing they go fat because the air is the frist thing to freeze off just my 2 cent
I would check you carbs to see if they are clean or not 90% of the sleds that are leaned out is because of dirty or gumed carbs

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just for the record, it ended up beig the crank bearing, put it entire new short block and took off stinger

Top Bottom