School me................deck mounted winches.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My wife and I have had to get a dead sled up on the deck once and we don't want to have to do it again. Most of the time, there are willing helpers in the staging areas but other times there is nobody there.
The Crappy Tire Flyer was in my inbox and once again they have a "great sale".

First of all what size would be required to pull a 500# dead sled up a ramp onto the deck of my truck? I don't have a steep pull like a lot of decks and I know I don't need overkill.
2500#, 3000#, or higher? Warn or Champion. The 3000# Champion in the flyer is $260 and the 2500# Warn is $400. Do I get what I pay for when buying a winch? TIA

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A dead sled is not an easy pull Doug.
You can help a lesser winch by using a snatch block.
Personally, I would go with a 3500 Warn. Even then, I would likely shorten the cable to “just long enough” as each wrap of cable reduces your pulling power considerably.
I know, “but, I’ll hardly ever use it” right?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a superwinch 2000 that is set up to move as I have a power deck. It pulled my dead viper up on no problem. If you are mounting it solid a 3500 would make it so you never have an issue.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a winch mounted ...was ok but you need to allow for bend in cable travel down the ramp....changed trucks and left it off...
Pull dead sled up onto a snow berm so ramp angle is as little as possible makes it easier to pull up by hand. Can always run a rope through a back rack mounted pulley to dead sled and use another sled to pull it up ...

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever winch you use , make sure you keep a cover on it. A 2500 will be plenty. As stated above put just enough cable on it to reach. If your winch is pulling really hard give it a break. Warn states that a 2500 lb. winch pulling the max for ten seconds needs a ten minute cool off. You won’t be close to 2500lbs

baf4ffe76e231720a786df45a948a94f.jpg

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a winch mounted ...was ok but you need to allow for bend in cable travel down the ramp....changed trucks and left it off...
Pull dead sled up onto a snow berm so ramp angle is as little as possible makes it easier to pull up by hand. Can always run a rope through a back rack mounted pulley to dead sled and use another sled to pull it up ...
As I had said mine is movable, if you are mounting solid, mount it in the centre pull the sled up the centre and move it over by hand. Pulling at severe angles are hard on your winch.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a Power fist 5500lbs winch for 179$. Power fist I know, but 5500lbs winch would have no problem pulling a dead sled.

Should last, cause wouldn't be working it too hard.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used both as I have a gantry style lift welded to top of a seacan that we put our decks on for the summer
Warn are def more durable and longer lasting

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the wireless kit for my truck boss. Best thing to have if your by yourself. It’s a 3500 and I have used it to pull a 49 Ford that had a locked up rearend on to the car trailer I was using. No problem pulling my dead 1100 onto the truck as well. Just make sure it’s a rope and not a cable. The cable will cut through your deck or what ever it rub’s on.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why you guys think warn is the best, i will never buy another warn winch ever again. Superwinch seems really good.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But a snatch block pulley and some rope and let the running sled pull it up. Or the truck can pull it up if you tie it off to something.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just use a come a long. Slow but it works.

Ive seen portable winches at princess auto. They are battery powered (their own battery) secure the motor end to the deck and simply push the button
As fun as that experience was, I'm with Ferniesnow. Will be wiring up the winch on my new truck without a doubt. Thankfully you were prepared back in March.

Reactions: RXN

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
............Cause pulling them up by hand sucks
That's the whole point! Been there, done that, and got a T-shirt and I don't want to go there again. We were at a scale on the QEII and the sled didn't have enough gas in it to get up the ramp. I'm betting a 100 cars went by and they were all probably laughing at us.

I don't plan on it happening again but one never knows about our sleds.

Reactions: RXN

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I think Warn is/would be better than Champion, a synthetic rope would be better than cable, and a shorter rope would be better than a longer one. I also realize the problem with the friction on the end of the deck being a concern. Father's Day is coming up so I'm hoping.

Top Bottom