Rv batts

sfp

Reaction score
Have used 2 -6volt golf cart batteries for years.Nothing better for the money.
Only problem is the amount of power you can drain out of them you have to properly put back in,they require serious charging after use . I got great advice and pricing from Interstate batteries in Calgary.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 2 6V plus the roof mounted solar charger all wired in with the controller.I can see the batts voltage ,state of charge and the currant going in.Its spendy but as soon as the sun comes up so does my batteries.I never worry about draining them

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something I recently read in dirtwheels was about batteries. Particularily it was for LITHIUM ION batterys. They are smaller lighter and hold a charge much longer then a normal lead acid battery. They are from CV4. I imagine some guys are running some optima batterys but I think the CV4's would be worth checking out.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something I recently read in dirtwheels was about batteries. Particularily it was for LITHIUM ION batterys. They are smaller lighter and hold a charge much longer then a normal lead acid battery. They are from CV4. I imagine some guys are running some optima batterys but I think the CV4's would be worth checking out.
Well...there is ONE Lith Ion battery made so far for RV's...and this dude has it:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well...there is ONE Lith Ion battery made so far for RV's...and this dude has it:
that's a pretty good read, thanks Dave. my pa had a monaco dynasty that had low battery life after the first few years, he has since sold it and has a newer monaco camelot. it came with a bank of 4-6 volts and worked better for the same amount of time....he is now going through the battery ordeal again. I have forwarded him that link, I'm sure he will find it very informative.....:beer:

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy sh!t, you guys make me feel dumb. All I know is that 2-6volts are way more awesomer than 2-12 volts.

I agree !!! Had a single 12 volt for years was ok but.................. switched to 2 6 volts and Man !!! what a difference !!!! Spent a week at Big Horn and NO power issues and we even used the furnace a bit !!!! Best thing I ever did for the holiday trailer !!!! :d

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 32 ft trailer from the States and it has one 12 V RV battery in it but after reading this thread I am going to replace it with 2 x 6 V. I checked in Vernon and they want 440 reserve at $150.00 bucks each or $180 each for 517 reserve. How much are they in Alberta?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 32 ft trailer from the States and it has one 12 V RV battery in it but after reading this thread I am going to replace it with 2 x 6 V. I checked in Vernon and they want 440 reserve at $150.00 bucks each or $180 each for 517 reserve. How much are they in Alberta?
You want to check amp-hours@20hrs on a RV battery....not reserve cranking cap. Most golf cart 6v deep cycle batts are 220 to 240 Ah...times two batts means 220 to 240 Ah at 12v.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery update.

I put in 2 6Volt golf cart batteries.
Also purchased a simple 30w 2 amp solar panel with a controller.

The controller showed a few times over 5 days fully charged batteries and also showed fully charged on the trailer panel.

The furnace ran at night,bathroom fan was used as well as lights.

We did run our generator to watch a movie so it did charge the batteries also.

I am happy with this simple setup keeping the batteries charged.

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery update.

The controller showed a few times over 5 days fully charged batteries and also showed fully charged on the trailer panel.

I am happen with this simple setup keeping the batteries charged.
Get an inverter and you wouldn't even need to run the genny for the movies...

I was watching the watts last weekend....on a full charge, pump, lights on and off all day, inverter running TV and dish for 2 hours in the eve, furnace running pretty steady all night....by morning I was only down to 12.4 volts....so about 50% of usable....and this is only with 180 Ah of storage. (2 12v G24 batts) I would run the genny for an hour in the AM and that's about it. (some days it ran a bit in the eve if we needed the microwave)

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Yup to what Dave said right now Canadian tire has a 1000w inverter on sale $59.99 with a remote switch. You wire it straight to the batteries Mount it in a storage compatment then when needed just run an extension cord to the trailer plug and all your plugs work off the inverter/ batteries then no need for genny for movies......just dont try the microwave hooked up this way :d

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will check this out. Good idea be quiet also at night.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Battery update.

I am happy with this simple setup keeping the batteries charged.

Start pooping outside, you won't have to run the bathroom fan so much.:eek:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turns out, one of my batteries didn't survive the winter very well. I replaced my Trojans today with Johnson's from Western Rose in Red Deer. $120 each, about $65 apeice cheaper than the Trojan's so I figured I'd give em a whirl.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran my 6v all last weekend and they worked awesome. with my old batteries I would have had to charge up Saturday evening and now my gauge didn't move all weekend.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turns out, one of my batteries didn't survive the winter very well. I replaced my Trojans today with Johnson's from Western Rose in Red Deer. $120 each, about $65 apeice cheaper than the Trojan's so I figured I'd give em a whirl.

I didn't make it out campin yet but decided to FINALLY check the R.V. !!!! And my 2 6 volts from Can. Tire didn't survive winter well either !!!!! Ahhh #*#@ !!!!!! Guess I'am in the hunt for 2 new 6 volts, cause I am not going back to 1 12 volt !!!!!
Where is "Western Rose" ???
"Johnson's" are the same size, etc. as the "Trojan's" ????

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't make it out campin yet but decided to FINALLY check the R.V. !!!! And my 2 6 volts from Can. Tire didn't survive winter well either !!!!! Ahhh #*#@ !!!!!! Guess I'am in the hunt for 2 new 6 volts, cause I am not going back to 1 12 volt !!!!!
Where is "Western Rose" ???
"Johnson's" are the same size, etc. as the "Trojan's" ????
About a third of the way to Sylvan on 11A, north side of road....family-owned business out on the farm. Good people.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are really good people. The Johnson's are the exact same physical size, and amp/hr are the same as the Trojan 105's. The reserve on the Johnson's are 5c/a less, but no big deal. They have a 24 month free replacement warranty, and a 40 month pro-rate. Can't go wrong for that price.

Top Bottom