Rv batts

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do that on two 6v you get 12v if you do that on two 12v you get 24v????The difference between hooking them up in series and kooking them up in parallel.

I'm talking about the trailer connections. Hook the 2 12's in parallel then hook trailer pos on one batt and trailer neg on other batt.[/QUOTE]

your name says your high and i think you are lmao

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok i am lost here i was on trojans website and now were is there a 12v bat that has a 210AH rating. I can get two 225AH 6v for $130 a piece so i think I will go with those.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two Mastercraft 6V here. I hook up a C-Tire solar panel when at camp and just leave it sitting there. Keeps a trickle going in and can add an extra days power to the batteries. Gone 4 days easily with furnace on, and my batteries are old.

Pull them into the house during winter and charge once or twice.

I have shopped around and prices will vary greatly, so will ratings. Some will quote AMP hours, some running minutes. Had to do the conversion.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok i am lost here i was on trojans website and now were is there a 12v bat that has a 210AH rating. I can get two 225AH 6v for $130 a piece so i think I will go with those.

If you dont have room go buy 2 gell cells, they will last longer than your trailer. If you have room go get 2 8D batteries they can start a D8 Dozer at -30 C. The whole 6 volt thing sounds interesting and has been used before in commercial trucks but got outdated for a reason.... Dont know off the top of my head why, but they dont use them for a reason.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the trailer connections. Hook the 2 12's in parallel then hook trailer pos on one batt and trailer neg on other batt.

your name says your high and i think you are lmao[/QUOTE]

High??? I do this for a living!!! I know what I am talking about. You are the one using a cat batt on a Rv. Fast release Batt vs slow release. Figure it out!

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you dont have room go buy 2 gell cells, they will last longer than your trailer. If you have room go get 2 8D batteries they can start a D8 Dozer at -30 C. The whole 6 volt thing sounds interesting and has been used before in commercial trucks but got outdated for a reason.... Dont know off the top of my head why, but they dont use them for a reason.

most rv places are against gell cells, a lot more cons than pros

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best deal on solar panels is Costco you have to go online as they are not in stores
160 watt setup. (2 80 watt panels ) charge control and a inverter for 899.00

Or

260 watt setup. ( 2 130 watt panels ) charge control and inverter is 1299.00

At woodys big yearly sale a 95 watt kit with controller only was about 825.00

If you happen to be in the USA Costco has 6 volt batteries for about 85.00 including battery fee (kalispel mt)

600twin

Reaction score
number one system to run is two 6 volt agm batteries, 225 amps, no mantaince. best is 4 6volt agm 450 amps,, trojan best bang for your buck but high maintance, they are a wet cell ,,if you want to do alot of dry camping run 2 or 4 6 volt agm batteries. they can handle the solar recharge and the long drain ..trojan don't like solar because they like exact charge or they loose storage.. agm are big bucks.. 360 .00 each. but in the long run will out last .

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your purchasing a solar charge system I would suggest Go Power Systems. That stuff at Cdn tire just dont cut it.

GPElectric Home Page

Totally agree! I have 2 95w go power panels and regulator on my trailer along with 2 6v deep cycle batts from interstate, could go all summer without plugging in. You get what you pay for, and go power has a quality product.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your name says your high and i think you are lmao

High??? I do this for a living!!! I know what I am talking about. You are the one using a cat batt on a Rv. Fast release Batt vs slow release. Figure it out![/QUOTE]

ok guys explain how a 6 volt conventional battery is a slow release of power. Isnt it on demand? The amount of power you need on tap? ANd what is wrong with a gell cell? i stil have one kickin around from the 90's that works great.....I will however experiment with the 2 6 volts just for giggles. In the 70's Kenworth ran 4 6 volts in a series parallel platform to have 24 volts on start and 12 to run. It didnt last......... MMMMM how come?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.

A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.
A car battery typically has two ratings:

CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) for 30 seconds
RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts
Typically, a deep cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a car battery, but will deliver one-half or three-quarters the CCAs. In addition, a deep cycle battery can withstand several hundred total discharge/recharge cycles, while a car battery is not designed to be totally discharged.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok guys explain how a 6 volt conventional battery is a slow release of power. Isnt it on demand? The amount of power you need on tap? ANd what is wrong with a gell cell? i stil have one kickin around from the 90's that works great.....I will however experiment with the 2 6 volts just for giggles. In the 70's Kenworth ran 4 6 volts in a series parallel platform to have 24 volts on start and 12 to run. It didnt last......... MMMMM how come?
the 6 volts that are around now were primarily designed for golf carts, and meant to release their energy over a long sustained period of time, rather than in a burst that is required to turn over a 12+ litre engine for a short period of time. RV 12v batteries are the same, low cranking amps and they recover better from being run totally dead. I am not 100% sure of the science behind it, but it has something to do with the size and number of lead plates.

series parallel were problematic because if your series parallel switch malfunctioned, you went nowhere. they also had a habit of falling apart inside the switch and making your starter engage going down the highway, tearing the chit out of the bendix as well as eating the flywheel ring gear. which as you probably well know is not an easy job to replace on a kenworth. the technology of the 12v starters has improved enough as well as the new engines so that 12v is plenty enough to start them. most heavy equipment still runs on 24v systems tho.

not sure if any of this is what you were askin polarblu...lol

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy sh!t, you guys make me feel dumb. All I know is that 2-6volts are way more awesomer than 2-12 volts.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
caper's explaination sounds better....

Both good info!! Thanks for clearing that up. I hate it when people tell other to buy something without the science behind it. So that being said getting any old 6 volt is not going to be any better, it needs to be one designed with thicker plates.
I dont know how thick the plates are in an 8D but they have lasted years for me with zero problems but i have also never had to use just battery power for the furnace for more than a night.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am picking up 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries.
After I have used them for the long weekend I will pass on a update.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am picking up 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries.
After I have used them for the long weekend I will pass on a update.

I am doing the same, decided to go to 6v. So we will see after the long weekend if there better than the 12v deep cycles that are in it.

Top Bottom