Rivets????

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I found a tunnel extension, now should I use steel or aluminum rivets? and why?? And what about an extended bumper to get it back to chassis.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine use to do tunnel extensions. We were in his shop and happend to be talking about rivits. He showed me the 1/4" aluminum rivits that he used. Had to buy one of those massive rivet tools that looks kinda like bolt cutters to put them in. I don't know how many he put in or how often. Did you check a site like dootalk?

ratatatat

Reaction score
Geese I had to run outside and check. Couldn't remember.. anyway I used steel. Its been on two years now with no problems. I expect you'll get a few different ideas here. Aluminium are a bit easier to get tight. Be real careful with the heat exchanger its right there. Just use the existing holes in the tunnel after you remove the back piece that has the flap attached to it. Not sure with your bumper you need to get back to the tunnel with at least one hole. I was able to use my stock bumper but I kept my extension short to accomodate this as i mentioned in my previous post. Good luck with it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I Went From The Stock 136" '99 670x Summit To A 151" Track And Put On The 1ft Extension And Used The Steel Rivets....also Put On The Extended Rear Bumper.... You Have To Consider When You're Stuck Real Bad And 2 Or 3 Guys Suddenly Give A Good Heave-ho To Lift You Out Of The Rut, Are The Aluminum Rivets Gonna Hold, Dooin' This Repeatedly??? The Extended Rear Bumper Will Have 1 Bolt Hole In The Extension And 1 Bolt Hole In The Original Tunnel.....

Attachments

• 129-2966_IMG.jpg
    129-2966_IMG.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 179

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Went From The Stock 136" '99 670x Summit To A 151" Track And Put On The 1ft Extension And Used The Steel Rivets....also Put On The Extended Rear Bumper.... You Have To Consider When You're Stuck Real Bad And 2 Or 3 Guys Suddenly Give A Good Heave-ho To Lift You Out Of The Rut, Are The Aluminum Rivets Gonna Hold, Dooin' This Repeatedly??? The Extended Rear Bumper Will Have 1 Bolt Hole In The Extension And 1 Bolt Hole In The Original Tunnel.....

That's what I ended up getting was a 12" extension in case I went up to
151" at a later date, where did you get the extended bumper Summitric? I have been looking but with no luck. Thanks to everyone for the help.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to a place that sells fasteners had to put frontend back together after hitting bolder at mcbride few years back found the best rivets the won't rust and hard as hell are stainless steel you will need the larger riveting tool princees auto sells them around 25.00 don't use aluminum no holding power and vibration will cut them

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ken @ Specialty Sleds Has The Longer Bumpers.... I Put It Into The Stock Rear Side Black End Parts That Have The Red Reflectors In Them. Looks Good That Way, But The Long Bumpers Come With End Covers To Hide The Holes On The End Of Each Side Of The Bumper If You Didn't Want To Use The Stock Part Like I Did.... He Also Has Lots Of Rivets For You

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My limited experience with the autobody supply tought me that you should never mix disimilar metals. I was actually looking for specialy rivets at AMP the other day and they reaffirmed that mixing stainless with aluminum is a no no. Accelerated corrosion and the holes will start to open up behind the rivet. I have used thicker aluminum rivets on my extensions and never, ever had an issue with them cutting or not being able to take a good lift. It's more about where the rivets are positioned and how tight you get them. I recommend an air riveter as it pulls them nice and tight. Cheap to buy at Princess.

My 2 cents.

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anything to do with the tunnel use the suregrip rivets, they have like 3 times the tensile strength of steel ones

ratatatat

Reaction score
I also maintain an airplane and the disimilar metals thing is adhered to strictly in aviation. That being said I just don't buy it here. There is disimilar metal contact all over a sled. I believe its more of an issue when significant heating and cooling are present and in highly corrosive environments (the body shop application). From a pratical perspective it seems most people are using stainless steel and not having corrosion problems with the added benefit of additional strength. Interesting discussion.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up the stainless steel rivets today, now just waiting for the tunnel to arrive. Thanks for all the suggestions. Once you start modding it keeps getting bigger and bigger. I ended up dropping my suspension also for more tunnel clearance. Next some new torsion springs. Has anyone tried replacing the old round bar springs with the new summit square bars?

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well got it all done for cheap Tunnel extension and snoflap (ebay) $38.00, SS rivets 100(a few left over) $24.00, Extended bumper(homemade under tunnel) $0.00, Drop bracket (homemade) $0.00, Gas rack (homemade) $0.00 and the satisfaction of doing the work yourself........Priceless

And yes I put the bumper on upside down on purpose!!

Attachments

• DSCF2352.jpg
    DSCF2352.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF2358.jpg
    DSCF2358.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
YUP, FIRST TIME YOU´RE STUCK REAL BAD, YOURE GONNA WISH YOU PUT THE REAR BUMPER THE RIGHT SIDE UP, TO BE ABLE TO GET YOUR HANDS UNDER THE BUMPER:eek:...... TRUST ME, I KNOW!!!!!!:rolleyes: LOL

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YUP, FIRST TIME YOU´RE STUCK REAL BAD, YOURE GONNA WISH YOU PUT THE REAR BUMPER THE RIGHT SIDE UP, TO BE ABLE TO GET YOUR HANDS UNDER THE BUMPER:eek:...... TRUST ME, I KNOW!!!!!!:rolleyes: LOL

Snobunjie buddy!! we hardly ever lift anymore :)

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep, that's a good point. That snow pushes that flap up so hard you'ed sware you could build a house on it. I'm amazed they don't rip off.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well got it all done for cheap Tunnel extension and snoflap (ebay) $38.00, SS rivets 100(a few left over) $24.00, Extended bumper(homemade under tunnel) $0.00, Drop bracket (homemade) $0.00, Gas rack (homemade) $0.00 and the satisfaction of doing the work yourself........Priceless

And yes I put the bumper on upside down on purpose!!

What size of drop brackets did you put in there and how tall are you for needing 8inch risers

Top Bottom