Riding clinics?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding clinics aren't for everyone. I ride 100-150 days a year and I have a ton of avalanche and wilderness first aid training. This is my third year doing this but it is my first year advertising it. It wasn't cheap to get tenure and insurance but now it's legit. I will be sharing my avalanche training and riding knowledge...and yes, I will take you to my secret areas. There are so many zones here to ride we can find fresh everyday. My goal is for every one of my students to go home a smarter and safer(avy) rider with some new skills.

Chris Burandt and I used to ride together every day back in CO. A few years ago he started a guiding business and I moved to BC. We have both been very successful with a certain cliental...but like I said, maybe not for everyone. I understand if you don't want to attend a BIG MOUNTAIN RIDING CLINIC but please at least take an AST1 avalanche course. I personally feel that short course should be mandatory for backcountry users. You could save your own or someone elses life. Please sign up for one this year. I have a family and I know they want me to come home every night. I want you to go home every night too.

Now somebody start doing the snowdance again please...we could use a refresh.

Chris

The response of a true professional.

I thought this thread was going in the toilet but after Chris's response not so. I would love the opportunity to ride with the pros but that work thing seems to get in my way. Some day though.

Last edited:

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maby I did put my foot in my mouth a bit probably would pay a guide to see some new area but not to ride with a celebrity from the sledding community sorry

I guess we shouldn't ride with nytroman he's like a celebrity! Lol! Glad to see you made it out of bed Wayne.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's awesome that these guys are sharing their knowledge, experience, and passion. The better you are at something, the more you love it, so these guys are spreading a lot of love for the sport. Obviously there are people willing to pay big bucks to participate.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Chris... If you ever are looking to hire part time and looking for someone to take some weight off your shoulders.. I am very exprienced in and devoted in the proper/IN-proper ways of impacting on and off trail objects. I have my clinc's divided up into 4 seperate seperate classes pretaining to mountain riding. I will review your riding school and let you know if I decide to accept....... T-TEAMS Riding school breakdown as follows..

1. Proper dismount after Tree impact (will also mildly touch on other machine impacts)
2.How to properly fasten your machine to a nearby machine to get it back down
3.How to get your sled fixed fast enough to where nobody can actually find out you damn near wrote it off
4.How to properly be-freind someone else that is VERY good at riding so nobody ever ever pays any attention to you on the hill and you can live in thier spotlight.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chris... If you ever are looking to hire part time and looking for someone to take some weight off your shoulders.. I am very exprienced in and devoted in the proper/IN-proper ways of impacting on and off trail objects. I have my clinc's divided up into 4 seperate seperate classes pretaining to mountain riding. I will review your riding school and let you know if I decide to accept....... T-TEAMS Riding school breakdown as follows..

1. Proper dismount after Tree impact (will also mildly touch on other machine impacts)
2.How to properly fasten your machine to a nearby machine to get it back down
3.How to get your sled fixed fast enough to where nobody can actually find out you damn near wrote it off
4.How to properly be-freind someone else that is VERY good at riding so nobody ever ever pays any attention to you on the hill and you can live in thier spotlight.

I'd pay money for that. I do alot of dismounting, but I fear my form is incorrect. There usually are too many peices to bring the sled down mounted to someone's bumper, and my fixing abilities are non existent. (However, I do ride with Randy Swenson and Tina Thomas so I get to be a wallflower!!- this is something I picked up all on my own).

In all Rasmussen's shared knowledge at his clinic last year, these are certainly things I never learned :p I am impressed that you are willing to bless the sledding world with your expertise :beer:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll make you all a deal I'll only charge nothing and you can come watch me do dumb ch!t on my turbo it'll be fun bet ya learn just as much

Been there, done that, hoping to do it again real soon.:cool: Paying to ride with someone isn't my thing either; but to each their own. I'm sure there is alot of people out there that think paying $200.00 for a good seat at an NHL game is something they would never do, but I'll do that every chance I get.:beer:

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that, hoping to do it again real soon.:cool: Paying to ride with someone isn't my thing either; but to each their own. I'm sure there is alot of people out there that think paying $200.00 for a good seat at an NHL game is something they would never do, but I'll do that every chance I get.:beer:

So true: it's a matter of interest and priority. For me paying to go to a clinic last year, it was part fascination and part desire to be better. Having been involved in the making of some sledding movies, I know that there is alot more involved than what you see on the big screen... Alot of downtime and alot of the effects are somewhat due to cinematography, camera angles and editing as much as they are to great riding ability. Going to Rasmussen's clinic after watching him in movies was motivated by a fascination with the icon, as well as curiousity to find out if he is really as skilled in person as he is on the big screen. And, being a newer rider, I really felt like challenging myself with a steep learning curve in the presence of an awesome teacher would be a great investment in skill development.

I can honestly say that for my husband and I it was worth every cent. First off, it was jaw dropping to watch that calibre of riding right in front of me- all day long. It wasn't eight second edited snippets of greatness; rather, it was all day awesomeness and a highlight of my sledding memories. And, our teacher turned out to be just a really great, friendly, humble human!!

Second, I learned, and continue to practice, a tonne of what I saw and did. I may not have mastered it on the weekend of the clinic, but it continues to pay dividends almost a year later. I have been lucky enough to sled with some of the best in the west and never learned half as much. But paying money to learn from someone meant that I got some dedicated time and honest constructive feedback.

Third- accommodations and food were included (and were awesome) and really helped boost value. Finally, we had a great group of participants and made some really funny memories while we all learned and pushed the boundaries a little more.

To each his own I say- but just because it has a higher price tag doesn't mean you shouldn't keep an open mind. You might be surprised what you don't know that you didn't know ;)

Top Bottom