Rhino hard to start after sitting

Badger4life

Reaction score
I have an 05 Rhino 660 that is difficult to start after it has been sitting for a while. If it has been statred once a week it fires right up if it sits longer than three weeks it takes an excessive amout of starting cycles to get it to fire. This is not a new problem, it has been that way since I bought it. Looks to me like there is a lift pump that pulls fuel from the tank to the carb. Why is the fuel system loosing its prime? What would be a cost effictive way to fix this? Would a small outboard primer bulb in the fuel line work?

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Rhino 660 that is difficult to start after it has been sitting for a while. If it has been statred once a week it fires right up if it sits longer than three weeks it takes an excessive amout of starting cycles to get it to fire. This is not a new problem, it has been that way since I bought it. Looks to me like there is a lift pump that pulls fuel from the tank to the carb. Why is the fuel system loosing its prime? What would be a cost effictive way to fix this? Would a small outboard primer bulb in the fuel line work?

gas now a days only has a shelf life of 3 months or so, at least get that out of the way first

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I found with mine that the battery charge made all the difference. Ended up getting a new battery and the problem was gone. Old bat would crank fine but she wouldn't fire. If your not sure when its been sitting put a charger on it and then try, see if it makes a difference ...... do not boost it!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a check valve in the fuel tank on the end of the pickup line on most units where the fuel tank is lower than the carburator, perhaps it has become inoperable and letting the fuel gravity feed back into the tank so that the pump needs several pulses to feed the carb.

DTH

Reaction score
Most likely loosing it's prime, common prob on 660. Most people are putting in a boat style primer bulb. Lots of info about this on rhinoforums.net

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also hard to start after sitting for awhile, but no darn way are you putting a boat style primer on me!

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most likely loosing it's prime, common prob on 660. Most people are putting in a boat style primer bulb. Lots of info about this on rhinoforums.net

x2 I put a primer on mine coupled with a different CDI (replaced BRP with Hunterworks) and it starts awesome now.

Badger4life

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses,
I looks like a pump-bulb is the most likely fix. I will give it a try and let you know how it works.

Top Bottom