rebuilt factory engine or rebuilt shortblock?

boyd155

Reaction score
i am looking to buy a used sled. 2008 ski doo summit x xp 800r. owner has put a rebuilt short block engine in. is a rebuilt short block cheaper to put in then a rebuilt factory engine? what are the advantages/disadvantages of the short block? performance? reliability? for that year of sled, i heard they have a faulty crank, will a short block solve that problem? sounds to me like the guy blew up his sled and took the cheap alternative to fix it up then sell it. is it worth buying with this rebuilt shortblock engine?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like ya have a lot of newb questions. start checking some of the threads and posts on here.
who's short block is it?
who installed it?
what is the overall condition of sled? has it had the shheeet kicked out of it?

a factory rebuilt motor or one from a reputable shop should be to factory specs. should be good for another 3-4thous km's.
kinda sounds like your going to be on a fast(maybe costly) learning curve.
suggest ya do some thread searching.

boyd155

Reaction score
i belive it is a brp shortblock. was rebuilt at the dealer. the sled has many extras and seems to be in good. primary clutch has been rebuilt. secondary in good condition. fresh crank case service. previous engine had 5000km before rebuilt with a shortblock. from my understanding the shortblock when used to be rebuilt they use alot of the parts from the factory engine .

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
generally the dealer does not rebuild shortblocks, they come from BRP already rebuilt. and use new parts as required to get back to new specs. how many km's on new motor? any paperwork, dealer installed motor? what is the compression, you can disconnect speedo and no mileage. fyi. ask a few more questions of seller.

boyd155

Reaction score
It was installed by dealer. Far as I know they rebuilt it. I will ask for the compression. Thanks. There is 400 km since the rebuild. He has $3000 receipts for the work done at the dealer.

boyd155

Reaction score
What is a generally good compression ratio for this sled? I appreciate you going out of your way to answer these questions. Been very helpful.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like a good sled from the info you have given, short block from turps was 2300, 3000 is on the low side but may have been a deal? check on the back of primary clutch, you don't want it to be greasy.

boyd155

Reaction score
What causes the primary to grease up? And Will do thanks for the advice. Really helped me out

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
generally the dealer does not rebuild shortblocks, they come from BRP already rebuilt. and use new parts as required to get back to new specs. how many km's on new motor? any paperwork, dealer installed motor? what is the compression, you can disconnect speedo and no mileage. fyi. ask a few more questions of seller.

Yeah what he said ^^^ factory rebuilt is like getting a new engine, no worries there. If it was installed by the dealer then it carries a 1 yr warranty typically, so depending on when it was installed you still might have warranty remaining. This is a very common item for Ski Doo, the bottom end bearings are greased, once the grease breaks down the crank run out (wobble at the end of the crankshaft) increases and then the crank has to be replaced. Ski Doo makes a short block or a complete rebuilt motor, but the only difference is the short block does not come with a head, but the head doesn't wear out like rotating parts so usually you only have to buy a short block unless you have wrecked the head somehow.

The original parts like carbs, reeds, exhaust pipe, head etc are swapped to the new short block. These are the original parts that are "re-used" that you might be referring to. There is no issue with swapping these parts over and re-using them on the new shortblock (unless they are damaged or worn out). The reason the motor internals are replaced is because they are the "rotating assembly" in the motor, and these are the parts that will wear out over time from going around and around (crank) or up and down (pistons) a couple thousand times a minute. You said the sled had 5000 km before the rebuild, that is actually pretty good for a modern day two stroke and would not be out of line with what many others have experienced. I know lots of guys with Ski Doos who have replaced the motors with new shortblocks around the 3000 km mark. Keep in mind that the price of the sled should reflect some of the work done and the high mileage, at around 5000 kms, lots of other things like drive train bearings, suspension wheels and sliders, track (potentially depending on how hard the sled was ridden), skis, shocks, etc might need replacing so the price should be comparable or lower than similar sleds with less mileage, even with a new shortblock installed there are going to be other maintenance items that you will have to address on a sled with that much running time(even if the rest of the sled is in mint shape).

Hope that helps.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its crank seal is leaking after 400km - most likely installed incorrectly - you wouldnt think a new shortblock from BRP would be leaking already! Youd think it would be warranty! My thoughts would the dealership installed a crankshaft!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its crank seal is leaking after 400km - most likely installed incorrectly - you wouldnt think a new shortblock from BRP would be leaking already! Youd think it would be warranty! My thoughts would the dealership installed a crankshaft!

your not following the post, it is something to look for before exchanging cash. if it's greasy, walk away from the sled,

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry misread - thought the engine that was rebuilt from dealer was leaking after 400km

Top Bottom