RC Truck ?

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Anybody on here mess around with RC vehicles? I'm looking to get my son a decent RC truck. He is 7, really into it and destroys the New Bright crap in one day. Looking for suggestions on what to look at as a good starter kit. Must be electric, able to go outside, and not too crazy fast.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thx Scott

05raptor666

Reaction score
Maybe look into a Traxxas Stampede. They come in 2wd or 4wd, you can start with the regular motors and upgrade to brushless as he gets better with it. I have a 4x4 one with brushless motor and it stands up to alot of abuse. Use it in sand, snow, mud with no issue as long as you clean it up. They sell them at best buy as well as hobbie shops and they are ready to run. Also tons of aftermarket parts for them so when you break something you can get improved replacement parts.

summitguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much you want to spend.. Myself and my 2 boys 6-8 all have the 1/16traxxas mini revos they have beaten them hard and are still going strong parts and support around town is great and you can dial down the esc to the speeds you want. You can go brushed motor or brushless. Most cars will come with nimh battery's that give 10mins run time or you could go to lipo battery's and may kids get board before the battery is dead sometimes 30+ mins

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a traxxas gas truck very tough.

They do make electric one's as well.

Range for 100.00 to 2000.00 in price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
traxxis make great stuff, plenty of aftermarket parts for them as well. check out greathobbies.com they have a store in Edmonton with everything you'll ever need

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
traxxis make great stuff, plenty of aftermarket parts for them as well. check out greathobbies.com they have a store in Edmonton with everything you'll ever need

try Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton or online? Best prices and selection I've found

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Traxxis is the way to go. Started out with a 3.3 revo 1/10, had a rock crawler but that bored me, also had a 1/16 e-revo brushless with dual lipos. If you upgrade the tires to the racing tires traxxis sells, it'll wheelie across water. Throw some nimh batteries in and it would be perfect for your kid. Water proof *To a degree* I've driven my old one around under water for sh**s and gigs but I'm pretty sure its pretty hard on it unless you clean all the contacts etc properly and make sure your water seal compartments seals are good.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Traxxas is ok I have a Stampede E revo slash and the Xmaxx bought another new one yesterday a Arrma nero its supposed to be the E revo killer all steel parts steel drive shafts and lockable diffs got it a Hobby Wholesale I would look at one of those brands before Traxxas way more bang for your buck If your interested I might sell my brushless VXL Traxxas Stampede 4x4 in great shape

Attachments

• rc.png
    rc.png
    60 KB · Views: 195
  • rc1.jpg
    rc1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 197
  • traxxas-stampede-vxl-2-4g-rtr-truck-w-7-cell-charger-10.jpg
    traxxas-stampede-vxl-2-4g-rtr-truck-w-7-cell-charger-10.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, lots of info really appreciate it. I'm going to make my way down to a hobby store one of these days. Like I mentioned before I'm looking for a starter kit for my boy, but I will admit I may end up picking something up for myself. Might be kinda fun ripping around with the little guy during riding breaks when we are out camping etc.

Gotboost, I might be interested in your Stampede depending on what you want for it.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with something from a name like aarma or electrix r.c they have a bunch of vehicles that would make a GREAT starter. If your boy really gets into it then upgrade and spend the money. A word of caution when you start playing with lipo batteries you have to make sure there charged correctly or they can start on fire so do your research buy a half decent charger and ask the shop guys lots of questions.

Great hobbies have my vote the guys there rock !

look for the following
4x4 (way more fun)
2.4 radio
parts available on the shelf of what ever shop you deal with

Last edited:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have 2 Travis Stampede 4x4 trucks, me and my son love them, half the fun is fixing them, rebuild em and upgrade them just like the real thing. Very Fast too!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a HPI Savage X nitro. It's fast and not much tuning involved once you figure it all out. Use the same glow plugs and same fuel and it's good! Pull start is better then electric start cause it's all me less battery to go dead. I would sell mine for f anyone is interested. I got tons of stuff done to it with tons of spare parts, a carrying case and big role around tool box for the parts. I never use it much.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a two speed tmax 4x4 with electric start that has never given me issues. Something about building it from scratch is way more satisfying then just buying IMO. And you can get into sweet mods relatively easy too, forgot to mention port and polish

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a two speed tmax 4x4 with electric start that has never given me issues. Something about building it from scratch is way more satisfying then just buying IMO. And you can get into sweet mods relatively easy too, forgot to mention port and polish
I have the Traxxas Stampede brushless 4x4 and running Lipo batts....waaaay too much for a 7 yr old, but with stock batts would be OK. I have to run metal axles and the slipper clutch from a gas model as the Lipo power really tears stuff up, but she's pretty reliable now. Buy extra bodies. I have a "pretty painted one" for sitting on the shelf....the one I run is covered with box liner and looks like he!!. Haha

Last edited:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can beat any nitro truck with my big battery, used too do gas, never again , electric is the only way too go

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can beat any nitro truck with my big battery, used too do gas, never again , electric is the only way too go

Yup. Biggest issue is not giving too much throttle at once or she's up n over! Fun rolling down the pavement at about 20-30 mph...pin 'er and wheelie!

Another tip: these things will spit the tires off the rims real easy. I always glue up the air holes inside the rims to keep moisture out, plus I Goop the tires to the rims. Keeps 'em good until the drive hex spins out round....

Last edited:
Top Bottom