Radios people !!!!!!!!!

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After sledding all day yesterday I spent til 2am looking for a lost Sledder , he was missing from the group for almost 10 hours . He was found safe but cold we got him back to the cabin to warm up , we got back to the parking lot around 4am and then the 1 1/2 drive back to sicamous sure made for a long day , ( crowfoot area ) big thanks to the crowfoot snowmobile club for sending out about 15-20 guys to help search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree.

There is no worse feeling of someone, and usually it's the one that doesn't have a radio goes missing. Never fails.

there has been a few times that this happened, and it usually happens when dusk is approaching.

We stress to everyone who want's to ride in our group that they have to have their 2 ways charged and working.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not like they are expensive, Cosco usually as a set of Cobras for $100 or so . Small price to pay to stay alive !!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
After sledding all day yesterday I spent til 2am looking for a lost Sledder , he was missing from the group for almost 10 hours . He was found safe but cold we got him back to the cabin to warm up , we got back to the parking lot around 4am and then the 1 1/2 drive back to sicamous sure made for a long day , ( crowfoot area ) big thanks to the crowfoot snowmobile club for sending out about 15-20 guys to help search

Good on you Jake and all the others involved in finding the dude. 10 hours is a long time to be away from the group.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI for the crowfoot area. If you have a VHF you can usually contact someone up in Seymour on the new RR10 or the old coop north channel. We have a pretty good network of guys that can come in from the north end and help out also.

Sweet that's good to know thanks

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI for the crowfoot area. If you have a VHF you can usually contact someone up in Seymour on the new RR10 or the old coop north channel. We have a pretty good network of guys that can come in from the north end and help out also.

Frequencies?
And thank you to you and l the members that are willing to come to the rescue any hour of the day or night!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Radios are only ad good as the guy using it.
Had it before where we are looking for someone and they say. I'm stuck on a tree. Well where? Which tree? Without knowing proper direction it's hard to find them.

I prefer the radios built into the GPS. Push of one button and it shows your exact location.

But yes everyone should have a radio.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Radios are only ad good as the guy using it.
Had it before where we are looking for someone and they say. I'm stuck on a tree. Well where? Which tree? Without knowing proper direction it's hard to find them.

I prefer the radios built into the GPS. Push of one button and it shows your exact location.

But yes everyone should have a radio.

Hahahaha...................that reminds me of an incident.

Had a guy missing for about 20 minutes (muster time and he wasn't there) so get on the radio. "Dude, where are you?"

"I'm stuck", says Dude.
"I figured that much. Where are you?"
"You know that trail? Well, I turned left, went straight for a while, and turned right. Then I went around a tree and up an incline and had to turn left again because there was another tree in my way. I didn't make it and I'm in the tree well", says Dude.
"Are you north or south of that trail?"
"I think I am west of that trail." says Dude.
"I'll be right there."

The whole group was laughing and I took one other guy with me and we eventually found him snuggled up to a tree with his shovel out. People definitely get turned around in new places and some days it is a real challenge. The Rhino radios are a blessing but not everyone feels the need to spend that much money.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also never hurts to practice once in awhile finding each other with said gps/ radio. We did that last trip out on a socked in day in trees where you could only see 75-100'.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup radio can prevent a lot of hazzles. There was a vid a little while ago where one guy saw one of his buddies get caught in an avy. You can see him look behind him to see if his other friends also saw it. So if you didn't have radio what would you do , go round up your friends first then start searching or just go start searching knowing you might be the only one digging?

I am planning on selling the Baofeng UV82HP dual band radio next month with longer antenna and remote mike. PM me if you are interested.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also never hurts to practice once in awhile finding each other with said gps/ radio. We did that last trip out on a socked in day in trees where you could only see 75-100'.

That's actually a really good idea. Thank you.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Crappy day would be a good thing to practice radio use and beacon searching for a hour or two

Good idea forsure

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm real lucky in that my main riding companion, Hevy_Chevy, has two Rhino units but failing that I always have a Motorola FR60 on me (and spares in my bag for others in the group). Neither Shane nor I got lost at all over the past week but it seemed as if we were constantly on them anyways.

Radios are like a shovel, why ride without?

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frequencies?

This^^^. I think most of us use FRS (GMRS) radios....not fancy programmable UHF or whatever....

I've been a Rino user since the Rino 110 (then 120, now 650)...they work great. Obviously you need to get together with your group in the AM and make sure everyone is on the same frequency. Going back to the old Snowest days we all ran channel 6.9 (yayaya....69 DUDE) So I tend to still use this one...and I tend to run into old Snowest buds on the hill. LOL.

BUT, what if you are the one separated...lost. Now others are looking your you. What channel do you go on?

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you weren't on your groups channel and worst case scenario
4.0 if your in revy would be your best bet to try. Posted in cabin that S&R monitors that channel so if it's got to that point where you know people should be looking for you.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Rhino radios are a blessing but not everyone feels the need to spend that much money.

I couldn't agree more. It's funny, how theres always money for a couple nights at the bar, or a sweet stylish sled wrap. BUT 3 or $400 bux for a radio... never.

IMO, a decent GPS radio, is probably a better investment for most on the hill then a AV pack.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. It's funny, how theres always money for a couple nights at the bar, or a sweet stylish sled wrap. BUT 3 or $400 bux for a radio... never.

IMO, a decent GPS radio, is probably a better investment for most on the hill then a AV pack.
Agreed

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Because they are twice that much............They are more like 800.00

Top Bottom