Question for the Cat guys.

RockSmasher

Reaction score
Not trolling here, just need some advice. A family friend just picked up a 14 Pro Climb M8000 LTD 155, and he's wondering if the break in is similar to Doos, where it runs rich for the first few tanks of fuel. It seems really under powered, like, won't lift the skis underpowered, and it seems to trench really bad taking off from a dead stop. Dealer said everything checks out as far as compression and belt/track tension and alignment. It has the Powder Claw 2.6 track on it. It pulls anywhere from 8100-8300 RPM. I'm on an XM, so that seems high to me, but maybe it's normal for the Cats. There was a mix of sleds out playing around today, and everyone that rode it commented on how little bottom end it seemed to have. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trolling here, just need some advice. A family friend just picked up a 14 Pro Climb M8000 LTD 155, and he's wondering if the break in is similar to Doos, where it runs rich for the first few tanks of fuel. It seems really under powered, like, won't lift the skis underpowered, and it seems to trench really bad taking off from a dead stop. Dealer said everything checks out as far as compression and belt/track tension and alignment. It has the Powder Claw 2.6 track on it. It pulls anywhere from 8100-8300 RPM. I'm on an XM, so that seems high to me, but maybe it's normal for the Cats. There was a mix of sleds out playing around today, and everyone that rode it commented on how little bottom end it seemed to have. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cat doesn't have a computer break in. The first tank u put a 1/2 liter or so of oil in the tank and ride it semi normal. After that giver ****. The 153 m800 goes real good but compared to my 16 wide track it will trench at slow speeds in the deep. Remember a 146 xm has a bigger track than a 153 x 15. My brothers spare sled is the exact cat sled we are talking about and we were impressed where it went in revy yesterday. It will wake up with more miles on it too.

c_nelson99

Reaction score
Id be looking at the limiter strap slack, from factory they are set real loose and that is one major cause of trenching. If the straps are loose your skid dumps down and plows into the snow rather than on top of it.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can change spring in clutch to yellow one I believe and engages at lower rpm. Also lower rear shock pressure and will improve trenching. Not sure about lack of power issue though. Mine rips!

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did he buy it? Where were you guys riding, and how is the clutching set up? If it has the mountain clutching and you are riding low or vise versa it could act funny. I've got a 14 162 and the bottom end is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did he buy it? Where were you guys riding, and how is the clutching set up? If it has the mountain clutching and you are riding low or vise versa it could act funny. I've got a 14 162 and the bottom end is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
my 13 rocks in the bottom end and with the 62 it'll pull the skis all day long

krazy ken

Reaction score
Just did my skid relocation from 2012 to 2014 and installed new 2.6 powder claw from challenger extreme, sled gets up on snow better and less trenching. Limiter strap is one hole shorter then factory setting and center shock is backed way off. Tried the 2014 gearing, found that had no track speed on hills, went back to orginal gearing 19/50 love it works way better then 2014 with cutler 950 big bore. Get clutches checked by dealer if good try Cutler torsional secondary, adjustable weights and their secondary float works awesome in my sled and clutches stay cool. Engine completely stock, no can or anything.

Last edited:

krazy ken

Reaction score
And another thing the engine should be pulling 8100 at most, played with weights on mine and found pulls best at steady climb about 8050 rpm, jumps up to 8200 when first hit it then settles down. Cat clutching set up is for 8000+alevation and over revs in our mountains. That where adjustable weights are needed and heel style are better. IMO

Top Bottom