First Mtn trip with 2008 XP this WE

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in mcbride this weekend. Mine is an X 800 152" track. First impressions and problems...

Performs extremely well. This thing goes where ever you want to go. Was riding with some 2001 doos and a 144" rev. I was puttering around at 1/4 to half throttle in places where the rev was harder on the gas and the 01's were pinned. I was able to get guys un-stuck then ride out through there holes and up the hill (just showing off of course). The one time we had to lift my sled, to turn around on a goat trail, the two guys that were helping me literally threw the track up on me because they did not realize it really was that light. I was gunna idle and stop in the sh*t beside a couple of really stuck yammies and ask if they had a light but couldn't bring my self to do it. :D:D:D Saw lots of other XPs but did not see a stuck or broke one.

Was a bit cold on the chest and hands with that little tiny windshield. The bigger windshield on the other sleds looks a bit dumb, but where is the line between comfortable and looking cool? Also note that the big windshield will probably never survive a roll over in the powder.

The stupid tunnel design that I was complaining about seams to have a really serious advantage. All the other sleds, including a 07 rev all had lots of ice on the back part of the running boards, this is melted snow coming off the top of warm tunnel and running down the sides, mixing with more snow and making piles of ice. My sled was dry. The water seams to run down under the tank and fall out in the engine bay somewhere. Works really great. And these running boards are amazing. I did not have to cat scratch or break ice or do anything. There was just never any snow on them when I looked down and eveyone else was off their sleds cleaning theirs.

The electronic instrements worked pretty good. The altimiter seamed ok, does not always update every second but does show the current alititide pretty close. The compass is not perfect, but does work. It flips around a bit, NE, NW, N, S, N, NE, N type of thing, pretty much means you are maybe going north. Much better than a stick in the mud if there is no sun and you are lost. Plus it helps you keep your bearings when running around new areas.

Had bought the doo bar/riser bag with the 3 watt heater in it for your electronic gadgets in it. Works pretty good, keeps the stuff warm if it's right against the heater, and the stuff that's not right against it is at least not really cold. However, with like no storage on this sled at all, and no place to put anything anywhere, I want a bigger bag. After seeing the doo bag, anyone can make one by simply sticking a 3w grip heater to a square of aluminum and tossing it in a bag. It's a great idea and looks good, just not big enough for me.

I moved my bars back a bit, dealer had them standing strait up and they felt almost too far forward. However, with the bars back a bit (I moved them back about 3"), because the foot wells are so far forward on this sled I can see they need to go a bit more forward than I have them now. Might get used to it, will see.

Kept the grips on low throughout the weekend and they worked fine, put them on high half way through the last day and left grip is gone now and right grip hardly gets warm (didn't take long). Every one else in the hot tub said they lost there’s at about 120miles.

My clickers came from the dealer set on 1. My RPM's where about 8150 to 8200 climbing any time I looked at the digital so I left them. I looked at my max RPM and at some point I hit 8300 but couldn't tell you when.

Clutch runs hot. Trail riding or light riding and you can not hold hand to the primary for more than about 1/2 a second. Did work out great for drying out goggles. Belt still looks like new, but I have been pretty easy on it. Hardest run I did was about 7/8 throttle for about 10 seconds. Longer runs at 1/2 to 3/4. 2001 800 Summits were pinned or stuck on these runs. Although the belt still looks really good, there is a lot of belt dust in there, I think it is wearing faster than it should be. I must have about 250miles on it by now. I don't think I will get my usual 2000 with it running this way. Belt is thinner, adjusted it back up before last day.

Something of note: Because these sleds will climb and climb where others would probably just get stuck or quit, I could see blowing belts fast if a guy wanted to climb everything. Some improvements in the clutch area and or backing off on the longer pulls are going to be needed to save belts.

I do notice the clutch has like no venting/air movement at all. Pop the side cover open a crack when resting and the heat just flows out. At first you cannot even put your hand on the clutch cover, never mind the primary. With the side cover just cracked an inch or so, the cluch cover is only warm to the touch after as little as 30 seconds. Gunna cut the stuff off the tool kit to improve air flow, remove plastic from belt cover, remove all foam from belt side sled side cover, put a vent on the top forward facing part of the side cover, and one on the back where the decal is and try that. I may just drill holes for the vents or find a couple of cheep vents, possibly like the one on the muffler side, I don't think it needs much. All this foam and plastic has been put in to reduce the noise level for certain certifications. I think it's a compromise that's causing some problems. With no air movement at all, the clutch is not going to cool when you run down hill, then on the next run it's going to get hotter yet, and not cool, then hotter, then really hot, then volcano hot...and you can see the problems.

However, all that said, one has to wonder how fully enclosed drive belts on super modifieds survive as well as they do? And what they do to achieve this? Only thing I can think of is they use set ups with much higher clamping force and harder belts. The only other thing I can think of is they probably don't want to tell us because it's a secret or just really expensive/tricky to do.

Also, for those that don't know, don't fill your oil such that it will sit overnight with more than 3/4 full. Doo made the tank with the vent tapped in about where it is 3/4 full. If you leave it sit, it will burp oil out the vent untill it's down this low (takes weeks, but it will burp it all out till it's down there). It makes a mess. You can see the vent tapped in on the back of the tank when looking in from the side, only fill over this level if you are riding that day (and will ride it down to below that level).

kell2784

Reaction score
Thanks for the great post. Gives me a little insight to the new technology, and ability of the new XP.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are riding in the hills on clicker number one you need to add weight to the primary. This would be why your primary is way too hot. I have the 154" too and the clutches are hot, but it sounds like it is not as hot as yours. You should try and get your clickers 4-5 for hill riding. Te heat is being cause by belt slippage, adding the weight will get a better belt grab.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We were in a group with one, it seemed to work good untill about 2:30 on Saturday, the Key started screwing up and it was in limp mode. You could start it but that was it. We could not get it to move, they tried to pull it out with just taking the belt off, that was unsuccessfull so I suggested we turned the ski's around and put the track on my sled on the back, then have another sled to pull mine to help with the hills and all. RMK800 pulled me, then I was the tow sled and the XP was on the back, we were two bowls past blackwater and had some good pulls out. I will post some pics later. We didnt get to the trailer at the upper renshaw staging area till about 9:00 ish. It was a fun experience, boy the arms hurt today from that. We went to go out sunday and I discovered that my sliders were completley gone. Darcey there is some info about the problem you experienced on Dootalk. And thanks for buying me a taillight and belt.:D. We all gained alot of experience on that..

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Had bought the doo bar/riser bag with the 3 watt heater in it for your electronic gadgets in it. Works pretty good, keeps the stuff warm if it's right against the heater, and the stuff that's not right against it is at least not really cold. However, with like no storage on this sled at all, and no place to put anything anywhere, I want a bigger bag. After seeing the doo bag, anyone can make one by simply sticking a 3w grip heater to a square of aluminum and tossing it in a bag. It's a great idea and looks good, just not big enough for me.

Sledderglen bought a nice bag and gas can setup for the back of his new XP. I think it was call playboyz.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yup, good post..... Me and a buddy have our 154's geared to 19/45, vented side panels and Dalton pins with 18 grams in the pins. We started out from the staging area in clicker 3 running 8200 rpm and at the cabin clicked to #4 for the rest of the way. Pulled 8200-8300 rpm all day. Belts nice and warm but never hot. The venting from Specialty Sleds really works as you could see the snow turning to water on the vents all day long. Those 154 XP's will climb anything with authourity......
Pics here..... Shaw Photo Share

Cheers.....

Duck

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
Did you have to change out the chain when you changed the gears also how big are you the bigger you are the lower the gears you need also what is your top spped at this point any info would be nuce

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll probably start a sh!t storm with this, but I called my dealer about my clutch overheating and they said BRP will warranty heaver weights in the clutch and a gear and chain change to 19 for me - just bring it in. After all the work I hear everyone else going through, this was a nice break and a surprise for me. If anyone else is having overheating problems, maybe give a call to your dealer.

Of couse they are fixing the grips as well. If they will just fix the vent on the oil tank I think it will be perfect.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Did you have to change out the chain when you changed the gears also how big are you the bigger you are the lower the gears you need also what is your top spped at this point any info would be nuce

No change to chain. Just tighten it up. I weigh 225 lbs. Around home here, it reaches about 75-80 mph.....

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'll also add...... Remember to check your exhaust bolts....they are a 5 mm hex. I had a few come loose last weekend. I now carry a 1/4" drive socket (5mm) and wrench with a ball ended 5 mm hex key. Remove each one individually and blue loctite em in. The sled is awesome otherwise, we have over 300 miles on ours and still on the original belts with no cords popping out and very little belt dust.

Cheers

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The Xp Sled Thread

Good Info Guys. We Had 2 Xp's In Our Group(154" And A 163" Tracks)... And They Doo Climb And Maneuver Surprisingly Well. I Believe They Both Lost Thier Grip Heaters Too. Keep The Thread Updated With Any Improvements/concerns You Guys Encounter. Keep It Up!!!;)

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Lost my grip warmers in the first 10 miles, but they are easy to fix. Did it myself. Lots of ways to improve a great machine. I'll be removing the QRS and jackshaft and installing the conversion shaft and hyperlite secondary (floating) soon. I'll report back on how it does......

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I put a 45 shot of nos on mine and its working great. I went with "the thing" for a can, I went with that one because it gives a little more room for the bottle to fit infront of it. I had to make the hole in the belly pan a little larger with a die grinder for the can to fit properly otherwise they report them to pop out of place and melt plastic. I also installed the quick disconnects for the sway bar but after disconnecting them I don't think I will ever use them again, the thing handles awsome.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple of minor updates I made since the post that I wanted to share.

After removing all the clutch side foam and extra plastic, I decided I wanted at least some type of small vent on the clutch side. Remember how I said things cooled down if I cracked the cover only an 1" after riding? I picked up an OEM replacement vent from the side cover on the on the exhaust side and installed it on the clutch side - these can be had from the dealer for all of $15.00. Of course the angle is wrong (ie. RH vs. LH), but after installing it, I think my vent looks straighter than the stock vent. I had to use rivets to hold it in, couldn’t see glue of any type holding it for long with a bit of flexing - didn't see any other choice than to use some rivits. I put backer plates on the 1/8” rivets. You have to cut the tabs off the vent to install it. I drilled the rivit holes in the vent first, then held it in place and drilled up into the cover to locate the holes.

Easy and cheep.

Pics

Attachments

• Img_1591.jpg
    Img_1591.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Img_1592.jpg
    Img_1592.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 148

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After hearing overkill's story about how the track eat the OEM tunnel bag, and not really liking any of the doo OEM XP bags, I bought the Skinz short tunnel bag. It's was about $70 from royal.

Bag is water proof, has a water tight double zipper, unclips from the sled, has a shock cord to cinch the bag smaller and best off all ads about a million percent of storage to the sled. Clips are held on with rivets (supplied). Bag is empty and cinched down small in the pics. Would hold a light jacket and spare gloves for sure. But don't put your lunch in there (too warm).

Also note as seen in the pix, I moved my tank up to the seat, and of course not wanting to obey all the rules, I turned it around backwards. It seams to keep the line of the seat a little better this way so when I fall off the seat I can slide right off the back end without getting hung up or taken a few bumps from the tank along the way. :D:D:D

Attachments

• Img_1593.jpg
    Img_1593.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Img_1595.jpg
    Img_1595.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 158

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Yup !... Vents look like they were meant to be !!! Good job indeed, Thinkin one will see more sleds done soon. :)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After hearing overkill's story about how the track eat the OEM tunnel bag, and not really liking any of the doo OEM XP bags, I bought the Skinz short tunnel bag. It's was about $70 from royal.

Bag is water proof, has a water tight double zipper, unclips from the sled, has a shock cord to cinch the bag smaller and best off all ads about a million percent of storage to the sled. Clips are held on with rivets (supplied). Bag is empty and cinched down small in the pics. Would hold a light jacket and spare gloves for sure. But don't put your lunch in there (too warm).

Also note as seen in the pix, I moved my tank up to the seat, and of course not wanting to obey all the rules, I turned it around backwards. It seams to keep the line of the seat a little better this way so when I fall off the seat I can slide right off the back end without getting hung up or taken a few bumps from the tank along the way. :D:D:D

Your sled looks great, just a update on the BRP bag they are warrenting the bag as they have had alot of trouble with it. The kid brother picked up the BRP bag that turns into a back pack to try as we already had the little clips mounted on the side of the tunnel. It worked great for the 2 days of sledding so far, plus its not as big so stuff is not flying arond in there.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your sled looks great, just a update on the BRP bag they are warrenting the bag as they have had alot of trouble with it. The kid brother picked up the BRP bag that turns into a back pack to try as we already had the little clips mounted on the side of the tunnel. It worked great for the 2 days of sledding so far, plus its not as big so stuff is not flying arond in there.

That would be a good pack. I got the back pack last year that looks exactly like that, but does not mount on the sled. The nice thing is you can pack it once and have all your same stuff in there and know where it is. Then mount it when riding locally and wear it when in the hills. Nice.

Top Bottom