Sidewinder belt drive question

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the belt drive a noticeable gain? Don’t think I’d be willing to give up reverse.
Losing reverse does suck, hence why I'm on the fence about installing it on my (Sidewinder) King Cat, as I'm in my mid 50's now... But there is a significant weight reduction you can feel, and I actually geared my previous M1100T up slightly with excellent results. I ran that belt for 3000 miles with no issues with a bigger turbocharger, and the stock chain was toast in 370 miles. Belt tension is key to long life, and allowing the belt to warm up prior to riding it like it was stolen. My belt drive was one of the 1st C3 kits on the snow, and I believe Specialty bought the drives from Kevin and did a little refining. I wasn't overly happy with the oil line setup on the original unit, took a little "tweaking" to make it the way I wanted... that said, it will probably be my summer project.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish I had your knowledge Lund when it comes to setting up clutching and gear ratios. Keep us posted what you find.
I'm a slow learner but somethings are bound to happen when one has an obsessional hobby for nearly 40yrs. Now I cheat a little, saves me from spending hundreds on also ran parts that end up on top of the also ran pile collecting dust. LOL

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there was a bit more than just a oil tank relocation, was part of project lightweight Sidewinder.

View attachment 265763
I’m on hunt for a low mileage SW …. I don’t care what anyone says the SW is the best, longevity, quality sled to date…. Is it heavier Yup…. my biggest regret in 30 years was not keeping my winder…. Love to take drive to yur place and bs …

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m on hunt for a low mileage SW …. I don’t care what anyone says the SW is the best, longevity, quality sled to date…. Is it heavier Yup…. my biggest regret in 30 years was not keeping my winder…. Love to take drive to yur place and bs …

Feel free anytime when Im on my days off, fridge is always full of beer.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Contact Climbmax, I know he had one for sale bone stock but he might had sold it now.
No it is not one he rode, low kms, under 1000 from what I remember.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have one available - decent shape. Basically stock 17’ with a CR Intake and pipe, $10K takes it

45bcdc049fccc1076e863530383ca1aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The drop and roll is a joke. The real question is how to keep the skis from blocking out the sun. Winder has lots of dumb things but drop and roll on this chassis is not necessary.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every one has a different understanding or concept of the purpose of a D&R set up.
I've built dozens of sleds with it and just as many without it.
But here is somethings to think about.
While Cats/Yamahas with the D&R have about 18deg.
The non D&R version of Cats/Yamahas are around 24deg.
Here is what's interesting, Polaris has been pretty standard at 33deg. and Doo's at 35deg.
Soo put that in your hat and think about it....WHY
While a 18deg setup will actually carry you up a chute in deep snow possibly faster and further then a 24deg.
The 24deg. creates better lift putting you on top better. Simply the smaller angle has more push while a bigger angle has more lift. Of course these differences can be mynute and general suspension set up can make or break it.
To throw in another twist never looked by most is these angles mean very little with out a rider astride. Rider weight will drastically effect that angle either for the good or the bad.
Ok, that still leaves Polaris and Ski-Doo with some pretty serious angles issues....or is it an issue.
Each to there own but them Poo's and Doo's seem to work well, they certainly have lots of lift out of the snow capabilities and climb pretty good, maybe not quite as good as a equivalent Cat??? LOL.

Decision's, decision's, to D&R or not to D&R that is the question...hhmmm

As a personal opinion, if kibbels is looking for a chute slayer then yes look for an 18 and up or do a D&R.
If you want a more all around ride, then it really doesn't matter. The steeper angle version IMO is more playful as it lift it self better in the deep.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The drop and roll is a joke. The real question is how to keep the skis from blocking out the sun. Winder has lots of dumb things but drop and roll on this chassis is not necessary.
Each to their own - I like the way it pops up out of the snow better.

Top Bottom