pro 163 track speeds

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some speedos can be out up to 10% or more so a person can argue this forever. The thing that matters is GPS speed as that is what pushes you up the hill.
Over the years we have all seen some peeps big track speed #'s on the forums. You read more into the sled and it will have smaller drivers that hasn' t been brought into the factor.
Have heard some high numbers in sitting around having a beer or two and thought that something was wrong with mine until i was passing them on the hill with my true lower track speeds.
Snobyrd your #'s are what i have seen also in most cases with stock sleds running same conditions.
Always fun.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the thing with the snowmobile clutch system, when working properly there won't be much change in the engine rpm as the clutches shift down into lower gears to compensate for the higher drag of the powder snow. No one is saying you wont reach 50 mph track speed, but in a fresh run, on untracked snow, with no packed track to get your speed up, there is no way you would pull 50 mph track speed with a 163. Perfect clutching or not, you don't have the power, especially with that tall of gearing. Unless you are riding "puff the MAGIC dragon"?:smokin:

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's the thing with the snowmobile clutch system, when working properly there won't be much change in the engine rpm as the clutches shift down into lower gears to compensate for the higher drag of the powder snow. No one is saying you wont reach 50 mph track speed, but in a fresh run, on untracked snow, with no packed track to get your speed up, there is no way you would pull 50 mph track speed with a 163. Perfect clutching or not, you don't have the power, especially with that tall of gearing. Unless you are riding "puff the MAGIC dragon"?:smokin:

Thats funny right there!! Good one GM

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright guys. I'd like to take another look at this thread cause I feel like the 2012 Pro 163 I bought this year is a little low for what its got done to it. I'm seeing 40mph max and usually 38-39mph with a 13.6:1 PA head and HPS can, 19t top gear and stock which I think is a 45t bottom. I'm running the stock 2.4" track. I haven't looked at my clutching yet but I was told it has 68 gram belly busters and stock spring in the primary with carls clutch kit in the secondary (not sure what that entails). I'm seeing 8100 spike dropping to 7900 rpm on longer pulls at 6000' elevation. I like to dial in my own clutching but haven't found the time yet and wanted to hear whats been working for others first. I'm about 190#'s + gear. Thanks in advance. This sled also runs a BOSS NOS system which was giving me up to 8400 rpm for the couple climbs I tryed it on this trip and forgot to check track speed (there was a leak coming from the fitting at the NOS bottle so I closed the valve til I have a chance to figure out where from). So I'd prefer to keep the rpms around the 8000 mark to allow for the extra when on the button.
Also the brake is dragging all the time, can hear it whine. Air in the line? needs to be bled or what? Already ground a little off the lever to make the park brake easier to lock and hoped this would help but no luck.

Just thought I'd update this a little. Found some extra track speed with lighter weights and glide washers in the primary. I still haven't gone back in to the chaincase but I think stock lower is 42T and I have the 19T upper. Was running 66 gram belly busters before not 68g. Put in the 64g belly busters and a glide washer on either side of the stock primary spring. I peak to 8200 rpm and hold 8050-8100 in a climb now with 42-43 mph track speeds. Noticeable difference still haven't fixed my NOS bottle yet so no results on the spray yet but definately happier with the extra 4 mph track speeds. This seems closer to what others are seeing.

turboassault

Reaction score
I have been tracking track speed ( no pun intended lol ) for a little while now. I have the same sled as glassman and saw what he was running for track speed and thought wow his sled rips way better than mine. I was getting around 33-34 mph track speed in 2 feet of fresh. I went out last weekend in about 1 foot of fresh and was getting 41-43 mph track speed. I for the life of me can not figure out why. I removed the skid and tightened the limiter strap put it back in and that was the difference. It must be snow conditions, but honestly the snow wasnt a lot different and it was the same mountain. It seems to me that is a huge gain ( 8 mph ). If snow conditions make that big of a difference i dont know how anyone can accurately say that there sled is getting better track speed on a day to day test.

Has anyone else seen that kind of jump in track speed due to snow conditions. Maybe the track was a little looser? The rear idlers are in the exact same spot as they were before.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That seems like a huge difference between two days of similar snow conditions. I see 2-4 mph difference between a more wind swept slope and a sheltered bowl but definately not 8 mph. Did you notice a big difference in handling from adjusting your limiter, maybe the way the sled is pushing through the snow is making a big difference?

snobyrd

Reaction score
2013,155 stock I get 41/42 mph in steep and deep, in same snow with me on it a xm gets 39 mph.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013,155 stock I get 41/42 mph in steep and deep, in same snow with me on it a xm gets 39 mph.

Yikes !! Maxwell's not gonna like reading this ! According to him, XM's pull far, far more track speed than Pro's. LMAO !! On a more serious note, my '12 Pro with a PAR 13.1:1 head and 162 X 3" track pulls 36-37 mph track speed and I believe there's a little more on the table with some creative clutching.

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes !! Maxwell's not gonna like reading this ! According to him, XM's pull far, far more track speed than Pro's. LMAO !! On a more serious note, my '12 Pro with a PAR 13.1:1 head and 162 X 3" track pulls 36-37 mph track speed and I believe there's a little more on the table with some creative clutching.

Never said that. Te difference is the XM can pull similar or better track speeds with a larger track. That's all.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick !! LMFAO !!! I'm not going to search it out tonight, but you've definitely made posts regarding Doo's superior track speed. Funniest thing is they can't pull more track speed, even with more hp.

MTV

Reaction score
Interested to hear fron Dragonwed28 how many miles on your SLP stage 3 with the V force reeds? Just added the stage 3 to my 2013 pro 163. Looking for more track speed as well.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've got 600 miles on it so far and it's running great!! I has at Allen this weekend and found some real deep climbs and was getting decent track speeds. My first observation was wrong. The best track speed I could get was 45 mph. This was the deepest snow that I've ridin in so far this year.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone have any numbers with the pro on a three inch 162 or 174... we were out with a tpro a few weeks back and it had a three inch 162... he had 44mph track speeds and compared to the three inch 174 xm there was not much a difference if any...

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fredw, as I posted above, I'm seeing 36-37 mph track speed on my '12 Pro with the 162 x 3, 7T drivers, 20/45 gearing. Only engine mod is the PAR 13.1:1 head.

PS: That track speed is corrected for the drivers. Indicated speed is 39-40 mph.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was quick !! LMFAO !!! I'm not going to search it out tonight, but you've definitely made posts regarding Doo's superior track speed. Funniest thing is they can't pull more track speed, even with more hp.

Find the quote and post it then.

Top Bottom